Posted: Feb 20th 2012 8:08AM xSectarian said

I think Heirloom gear is not a bad idea nor do i think scaling while you level is bad idea. Its a good way to encourage people to run alts and try new player classes.

Now with that said they specifically don't hurt World of Warcraft and its low level crafters because the scaling of gear in that game is awful to begin with. The gear you craft is WORSE then possible quest gear and you level so fast now that you just pass it anyway. There no reason to craft lowbie stuff when the heirloom gear was released so it didn't hurt the economy nor did it hurt low level crafters, because they already were not really crafting to make money or to provide a quality item into the market.

Transmorg has adjusted this slightly as people en devour to look unique, but that is another topic i suppose...

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 9:38AM aurickle said

@xSectarian
In other words, the crafting system is already so broken to begin with that heirlooms couldn't really break it any worse.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 10:23AM (Unverified) said

@aurickle

Yeah, basically. You know a crafting system sucks terribly when the developers have to put in crafting skill specific equalized stat bonuses to keep people from ignoring it.

But beyond that, heirloom items as a whole were essentially Blizzard's acknowledgement, even if it was stated under their breath and between the lines, that large parts of their game sucks to deal with.

Step 1: Decide you hate your class at end game? Either because of patches adjusting the meta-game so that the class you leveled is now no longer the class you have? Roll an alt and try again with that.

Step 2: Leveling an alt to cap is takes too bloody long because Blizzard feels the need to raise the cap with each expansion and no longer supports having multiple paths to take to said cap making the journey not only tedious but also exactly the same as the first time you did it? Buy some heirloom gear to make it that much faster so the pain is over with quicker.

Step 3a: Goto Step 1.

Step 3b: You actually found a class you like to play. Congratulations. I hope it doesn't get totally screwed over in the next patch.

Step n: Quit.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 10:34AM (Unverified) said

@aurickle, he said it's at low levels and you spin it to say the whole thing is broken.

do you work in politics?

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:35AM hami83 said

@aurickle Crafting in WoW has always sucked.

As soon as I made my first item and realized that I'd never be able to make levelling gear before I outleveled it, I knew it was broken.

They fixed this a little in expansions with all beginner pieces being decent for levelling a bit, but then make anything beyond that, again, such a grind that you'd outlevel it before you could make it.

Add the fact that all max level crafted gear sucks beyond all suck and isn't worth the grind...Ugh.

I find Rifts crafting better, but not by much. I'm sure there's other MMOs that have amazing crafting systems that are a giant waste.
I think SWtOR was pretty decent, since you could farm and level at the same time.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:45AM DarkWalker said

@(Unverified)

I find crafting in WoW to be basically meaningless. The only things I actually like to craft are the useless, but fun, toys - simply because about everything else becomes useless, and worse than vendor sold gear, by the time the first or second content patch launches.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 6:17PM (Unverified) said

@aurickle ... This ^

That entire blog post assumes that ANY player, ANYWHERE was actually SEEKING to buy a low-level crafted item. Completely untrue. Players craft for one of three reasons: 1) they're a bit obsessive and they like fiddling with gathering mats and making things, 2) they're looking forward to the end game where SOME professions are useful, or 3) they are making things for their own use because they don't yet have heirlooms.

If Blizzard wants to support crafters, the place to start is to make crafted items just a bit better than the drops of the same relative level. Otherwise, it's less time and effort to get gear that way. Make it worthwhile, and they will come!

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 8:09AM SkuzBukit said

• 1 heart
I saw Heirlooms as pandering to the vocal minority, a squeaky wheel gets the grease situation and little else, all it did was give those players with the access & money for them a sense of superiority over the other players alongside them, exactly what those vocal minority moaners clamour for.

Nobody with any sense wastes cash in the auction house before they reach max level, it's completely unnecessary.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 8:18AM entropyboy said

leveling faster in a game with leveling that is already too fast, plus instantly making low-level characters stronger than any content their level, equals a broken system.

people may complain about having to level alts or replaying through old content, but there are superior ways of dealing with these complains than invalidating content with heirlooms.

and maybe if crafting systems in MMOs were more consistently competitive with other forms of gear, you would be buying off the AH.
but they generally are not, so no one bought that "staff" before heirlooms either.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 9:47AM doublerainbow said

By the time I finished all my level granting and power leveling of characters with recruit a friend, I had 8 level 80's and no need for this. It took me about two weeks to do, and if I want I can still make that Shaman and Mage as well.

I think that these BOA items are honestly pointless grinds. It could take several weeks of grinding dungeons, argent tournament dailies, and darkmoon fare coupons just to get all the items, weapons, and trinkets. Why do that? You can level 3 times faster with RaF alone.

The only exceptions are that if you already had some BOA, and a nice guild with the xp bonus, then use those and RaF yourself. You can level two different classes together (pick ranged with ranged and melee with melee). Then head over to hotkeynet and download the free program for wow and install it. Set up your follow and assist macro's and walla, you are set up, and you know what? You are going to save yourself a butt load of time!!!!

It is definitely just better to use RaF to make alts I kid you not. These items are just too much of a pointless grind each week.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 10:21AM JuliusSeizure said

@doublerainbow

...It's voilĂ . Walla is a nonsense term used to simulate background chatter in film and television. *twitches*

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 2:25PM doublerainbow said

@JuliusSeizure

thanks, not really important to know, but thanks.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 9:56AM Ulfgaar said

I actually like the heirloom items. It gives the player something else to spend justice points on after they no longer need anything, and I like that they use some of my favorite armor and weapon models from classic WoW.

To me, issues such as the power of crafted items are seperate. I would argue that the value of crafted weapons and armor has been miniscule since probably Vanilla WoW, for the most part. I always thought crafted gear should be more relevant, but I don't think heirloom items are the problem.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 9:59AM smartstep said

• 1 heart
Well whole game concept of countless alts is bad idea.

Heirlooms as well - no like those here.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 10:15AM JuliusSeizure said

• Half a heart
I find them absolutely awful and boring, personally, but I didn't care if other people used them. Well, other than being able to judge them as lazy and boring at a glance. Oh, I'm sure they judged me right back in my quest greens, but at least I had something meaningful to base my judgement on, if ever so slight.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 10:49AM (Unverified) said

I guess I don't mind the XP bonus, though I think leveling in the game is too fast as it is. I did mind the significant advantage heirloom players, including myself, had in battlegrounds/PvP. That's undeniable.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:06AM OptimusPrimeisOP said

I think that Heirlooms are a good idea that covers up a major flaw in MMOs. Most of the time, there isn't a reason to level up over and over again, as the content doesn't really change for years at a time. Most of the new content is made for max level, and most people just want a new max level character.

The two solutions that I would like to see over an heirloom system. The first is an unlock system that lets you have any max level character once you level up for the first time. The second is to make leveling content varied and updated regularly.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:51AM (Unverified) said

I think heirlooms hurt WoW in the respect that it made it even easier for people who don't care about the story to bypass the story. WoW is the only game/franchise I have ever seen that actually seems ashamed of it's lore/story and actively caters to those who do not care about it, and even make fun of it.

Leveling was already easy in WoW. Cataclysm's "redesign" (I use quotes because it was only halfway redesigned with a mix of pre and post Cataclysm timeline quests in each old world leveling zone) made it even easier. When a friend and I were leveling Worgens, we made the decision not to use heirlooms and to follow the storyline path. Even without heirlooms, doing every quests in the zones quickly outleveled us compared to the zone so that the quests turned grey. That makes it difficult to stay in story progression while leveling.

With heirlooms, people skip 2 or 3 zones ahead to keep quests yellow so xp and rewards are optimal. This means that people really don't follow along with the story, and it really shows now with WoW.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 12:26PM Ratham said

If done right, they're wonderful and the exp boost really helps vets level their alts.

However I strongly think WoW did it wrong because the heirlooms were incredibly overpowered in pvp and pve.

If you had heirlooms you could 1-2 shot people with "normal" gear.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 4:04PM Budukahn said

@Ratham

PVE I don't think it was too bad, since the whole goal was to get you leveling quicker, though I did come to get bored of the same shoulders for 85 levels.

PVP wise though, they just eviscerated balance in the lower level battlegrounds and really should have been disabled. I wonder how many people decided to "give that warcraft" thing a go, went into Warsong gulch and spent 15 minutes getting totally slaughted by a Rogue packing dual heirloom daggers then decided it probably wasn't worth it.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014