Posted: Feb 20th 2012 10:42AM MMOaddict said

I've gotta wonder how you guys handle having to play games that you grow tired of or come to dislike. Especially when other games come along and crush them, like GW2. It's like taking a spin in a Porsche and then having to come back and drive a Ford Escort.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:19AM ShawnSchuster said

@MMOaddict
That's the beauty of our team. We have a variety of people who like a variety of games. We don't livestream or even write about games if we don't enjoy them, unless it's for a First Impressions article, and then we'll let you know :)

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 12:21PM Danteeeee said

If you watch any of Beau's stream you'll find out that he really seems to be interested in quirky little mechanics that aren't found elsewhere, which is part of the reason I watch him.

I also can't wait for the Wednesday lineup, Adventure Mike is effing hilarious and needs more viewers.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 7:19PM Beau Hindman said

@Danteeeee Don't worry about the viewer numbers. Twitch has had a bug for a bit now that shows really low numbers for streams. I had over 80 people in one stream, up to 100 something at one point and after I was done it literally said I had 0 viewers!

I think they're working on it. But yeh, Mike rules!

Beau

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 12:45PM MMOaddict said

I was just curious especially with a game you follow for so long, finally get to play at launch and be the main writer for, but suddenly find the game sucks after the first month or so.

An example of this would be if I had been following SWTOR for so long and was so excited about it, so I get picked to be the "writer" for that game. Launch comes and I have tons to talk about but suddenly 2 months later after hitting endgame and trying to roll alts...and finding the game pretty much sucks past the 2 month mark....and then to top it off getting to test a game that crushes it in every way shape and form, a la GW2.

Do you guys then get to say that you don't want to write about SWTOR anymore? Or just suck it up and play a game you hate or dislike because you thought it was going to be great but it ended up being not.

This could apply to any game really, but more of the recently released games have fallen into this category of being good for about a month or 2 out of the gate and then they fall by the wayside. Like Rift, AoC, WAR, Aion, STO, etc.

I hope that made sense, just curious to how you guys deal with it. Granted, being paid helps one get over certain things, but again, my metaphor about driving a porsche and then having to go back to the ford escort is fairly apt here. Cost of the cars not being a factor, hehe.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 1:59PM ShawnSchuster said

@MMOaddict
Nah, we've had plenty of columnists who have asked to stop writing a column because they're bored with the game. I won't make them keep writing about something they don't enjoy, so they either set up a new column for another game they're enjoying, or drop the column. That's a big difference with us. Even though we're called "journalists", I like to consider ourselves more of MMO enthusiasts.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014