Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:35AM PoisonFox said

I'm sure the next two weeks will be filled to the gills with pew-pew for the crowd that would much rather shoot things than read.

I did like that I had the choice to bypass all the religious stuff altogether, and I hope that trend continues for the rest of the series.

It wasn't the best episode ever (it seemed to stop mid-conversation rather than the Vorta saying something like "We'll look into it and be in touch" to end it), but it was good and probably better than what the next two weeks entails. Looking forward to the 5th episode to see how it all wraps up.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:41AM Joaquin Crowe said

The detail is what astonished me about the zone. Especially the fact that Bajor has day and night cycles -- really well done ones that includes dawn and evening lighting changes. I was doing the quest on an alt, walked out of the transporter and saw an evening sky with one of the moons setting. A real screenshot-worthy sight.

Not a fan of DS9 as I felt it was a ripoff of B5, nor the "help help I'm being oppressed!" Bajorans, but I really appreciated the thought put into this episode and the details in the world design.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 2:13PM Daemodand said

@Joaquin Crowe OMG has the MMO genre become so decadent that getting day/night cycles are now considered a special treat?

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 8:27PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Daemodand After playing SWTOR for a few months... yes.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 11:56AM seannewboy said

I did have a problem with the mission, but it wasnt the lack of combat, it was just the running of multiple laps. When you have 10 alts, all of that running takes time.

Complaint out of the way, major double thumbs up to Cryptic_Kestral, this episode was a large filling meal, with plenty of flavor.

On second thought maybe all those laps were meant to help my characters use up all the calories from eating all that excellent writing. :)

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 4:24PM TerilynnS said

@seannewboy I also have 10 alts! XD I will be running this mission rather casually over the next week I will admit. But now that I've pretty much seen all of the mini-missions, I know which ones to take on that will make it enjoyable for me.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 12:02PM Snowblind said

I really loved this episode, it helped establish the mood and drama building up to what's going to happen next, which I thought was a lot more interesting than being non-stop action and much closer to what the game should have originally been about.

Too much of what you were doing was totally irrelevant though and the plot itself has more holes than Insurrection (the villains motives make no sense). I also struggle to see how paying almost £20 for so little content comes close to offering good value. It might be a F2P game, but let's not encourage this kind of price gouging.

All in all, it is a step up for STO, but they can still do better.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 12:45PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Snowblind They're following orders from "god".. and from their perspective (from what I gather) "god" told them to conquer the other side of the wormhole. No time passed for them from when they went in decades ago to when they exited in the game's present day. They're a bit thickheaded about being out of time, but then that kind of thing doesn't stop present day religious fanatics from being nutcases in the face of strong evidence to the contrary.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 12:15PM Amlin said

I'm one of those that didn't like all the talking not enough shooting deal with this mission but there's "easy jobs" when you're offered two objectives. Since you only need to do one it's usually one is more difficult the other is just for people wanting to blaze through.

I thought that was a nice touch.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 12:16PM Mikx said

I'm really impressed with the way Of Bajor and the entire 2800 arc tied in perfectly to an episode of the show that aired over 10 years ago. When you're in one of the missions you get a hint of it that makes it obvious for anyone that saw/remembers the show, and then it explains it in detail 10 or so minutes later for lore noobs.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 1:48PM (Unverified) said

Hmmm. I do like 'Of Bajor', but do agree that the primary mission itself was kind of hit and miss--though the writing involved (except for the final task) was excellent--one of my favorite bits was the 'wrong numbers' you could get in the penultimate task...some of them were pretty funny.

One of the best parts of this mission, though, was seeing some *very* nice new art assets in the form of the Bajoran architecture and such--it's great to see something *different* for a change, rather than repeats of the same old walls and objects.

I can definitely see where the pew-pew/run STFs all day long crow would complain...but at least it's not like Second Wave, which was pretty obviously a checklist of all the different interaction/task types. :-/

Though there's still something of a downside--the voice actors need a *lot* more practice.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 1:58PM (Unverified) said

Oh, BTW--you *do* fight a Changeling in one other mission in the game, 'The New Link', near the end of the Cardassian Front arc.

Hmmm...you got a 'Captured Changeling' item...that persisted past the end of the holodeck sim? Huh. I don't recall seeing that at *all*, in either run-through of that fight. (Kind of annoying--there's an accolade for doing all of the side missions, and I could have *sworn* I got it on my main character when I played Saturday...but when I went back yesterday after the patch that fixed the problem with the early hook to next weekend's mission, the requirement for the accolade included the all three of class-based missions too, which is disappointing. I'm not entirely sure of how you would even run this as a group, really.)

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 4:26PM TerilynnS said

@(Unverified) I did receive a captured Changeling that I found out this morning should NOT have remained in my inventory the way that it did. Unfortunately, it disappeared from my inventory when I ran through the mission again on my main toon. :( I will miss him. He was my Moriarty Changeling in a jar.

Why we get one in the first place seemed odd - if it's supposed to disappear the moment you leave the holodeck, what's the point in getting one in the inventory at all? Weird.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 3:48PM Jergis said

"Yes, Admiral, so glad you could make it to Bajor to begin preparations. I hear your Engineering expertise is second to none. With that in mind, would you mind terribly fixing our plumbing while yer here? Yes, plumbing. Tools are right over there.

Oh, and that table needs a shim to balance it out. Yes, you must do this 15 times before fighting the Changling in the holodeck. Our maintenance guy is the first to go in war. Chop chop, now."

Jergis

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 4:01PM Mikx said

@Jergis Yeah, I know it happens in the show all the time (if you want to consider the commander of DS9 to be the star of this episode) but the worst one was "thanks for scanning frequencies for 15 minutes Admiral, you were a great help. Now stand out of the way while the captain negotiates with the Dominion."

It's really funny but I really didn't mind. It plays better and is more realistic at a lower level though.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 4:30PM (Unverified) said

Maybe it's an item for a later stage in the mission chain that got slipped in by accident? Given how the other main 'bug' for this episode was *also* a link to an as-yet-unready mission, it would make sense..
Then again, I agree with you that having the item involved at *all* doesn't make a lot of sense, and probably would annoy players with full inventories.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 4:52PM ttcfcl said

Well its nice being as no other planet surfaces I've visited (which isn't many TBH, I'm still new) haven't had day/night cycles. I hope they start adding them to existing surfaces. It would be epic to see the sunset on SanFran and the Golden Gate bridge at Starfleet Academy.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 5:58PM Graill440 said

This episode was pretty bad. Like a few folks stated, this was pure fedex and running laps, the hilight of the entire thing? The battle with the changeling on the holodeck, on elite mode it actually took a while to bring it down. the rest of the episode was garbage. 3/10

B+ for the atttempt at making a passable city.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 6:32PM ed511df3 said

The best part of the mission was the side mission to break up the fights between klingons and bajorans. Each time you told a klingon to go do something more constructive, he held his hands up in the "Watch out guys, we're dealing with a badass here," stance.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 8:50PM MonkeyTiez said

I was really surprised at the detail and thought was put into this episode. I could see why it took so long to do these. I personally love the Pew Pew since I play on the KDF side but I was enthralled playing and reading through the mission. I loved the map and the dialog where there was some. Definitely better than the first one, I can't wait to see what they will do next! Kestrel out did herself this time!

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM