Posted: Feb 19th 2012 12:15PM djodars said

Really? Most mmo content be delivered by browsers? I certainly hope not...! All of those mmos are boring and have very little to offer. Graphics are way outdated, gameplay sucks and community too. Why would you EVER want browser mmos is beyond me.

Posted: Feb 19th 2012 12:26PM bobfish said

@djodars

I think he is more referring to streaming technology than flash games. Think OnLive rather than Farmville.

Posted: Feb 19th 2012 12:46PM Beau Hindman said

@bobfish You're right, it's more of a discussion about technology rather than specific games. For a while the big difference was graphics, but now we have Unity and other browser engines that can do just as well. Even with that, browser-based gaming is much more massive than a lot of people think.

People used to get confused when I said "free-to-play" as well, as though I was referencing a genre rather than a payment model. :)

Beau

Posted: Feb 19th 2012 2:30PM Pingles said

@djodars

Check some out. Some deliver an impressive 3D environment to play in.

Becoming more and more indistuingishable from standalone programs.

Posted: Feb 19th 2012 1:47PM Beergut said

You are truly a pioneer Beau.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 2:38AM Niieh said

I think it's great that MMOs are getting browser versions. Fiesta doesn't appeal to me, but I've been playing the browser version of Runes Of Magic a bit, and I have to say it runs surprisingly well.

Besides Fiesta, Runes of Magic and 4Story, are there any other 'client' MMOs that have recently been ported to the browser?

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 9:05PM kevinrahl said

Browser games = garbage games in my book. Runescape, Free Realms and Wizard 101 are the only decent ones. And I would never consider any of those as more then a time killer.

Posted: Feb 20th 2012 9:08PM Beau Hindman said

@kevinrahl To be technical, Free Realms only uses the browser to log in. The game is launched from a client as any other client game. The rest is downloaded into a folder while you play.

Wizard101 is a client based game as well.

RuneScape is a browser-based game, but is one of the best games on the market. Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

Beau

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM