Posted: Feb 17th 2012 1:12PM (Unverified) said

Definitely FFXI. No other game out there today offers the sheer amount of activities that XI did/does to you everyday. When you are sitting in WoW wondering what you want to do today and are offered Dailies, Dungeons or PvP you long for the days when you realistically could just go out in the world and do something fun and worthwhile.

More MMOs need to take a real hard look at what XI did back 8 years ago in terms of overall content and especially overarching "missions" and try and replicate it. Unfortunately SE strayed so far in their production of its successor, that I am not sure we will ever get such an open-ended "non sandbox" MMO ever again.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 1:14PM StClair said

I regret not spending more time in Puzzle Pirates, back when there were enough people to make it worth playing, including the friends I used to have there. Some in-game events broke my heart and pushed me away during what, in hindsight, were some of the game's most dynamic years.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 1:49PM (Unverified) said

My only regret from leaving any mmo is leaving my motorcycle mount in WoW....

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 1:58PM (Unverified) said

My only regret is being forced to leave SWG by LucasArts' decision to kill the game. It is still my great MMO love, although I have played (and still play) many others.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 1:59PM (Unverified) said

Link Realms. I miss the thrill of the cock fights, breeding genetic traits into my birds, training them. I still hold out hope of returning some day if they ever open an non PvP server. Nothing worse than spending hours making heals to run the PvP dungeons just to have get ganked by someone who has no intention of actually running the dungeon and comes in with the bare minimum of heals and nothing to lose.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 2:05PM (Unverified) said

Everquest. I wish I was still playing Everquest, it's just so daunting starting over. I played on both progression servers until they pretty much died out. I originally quit when Gates of Discord came out, and wish I hadn't.

I wish I had gotten into FFXI. Again, it just became so daunting that I don't want to start from nothing this far into the game. I tried a couple times years back and found nobody to group with in the lower level areas.

I don't regret leaving Vanguard, but I do regret that Sony never relaunched the game like they promised they were going to back when they acquired it. Vanguard is the best game out there that nobody played. It's sad how close it was to being a release game. One more year and it wouldn't have been the catastrophic failure that it is.

I'm not a "sandbox" guy, but I don't really like the ez-mode on rails mmo's like WoW and Rift as much as the above type games. I like an actual world full of interesting lore. I don't like going from quest hub A over to quest hub B being assaulted by pop culture references the whole way.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 2:34PM donweel said

I regret leaving Rift as well. The game was fine except the people who zerged to level cap and then started farming low level areas for achievements made the game not fun for me. A Rift opens some clown shows up one shots everything then leaves before you can do anything.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 3:18PM drginger said

@donweel Doesn't Rift have a system which will add more enemies to a specific dynamic event, based on the level of the participating players ? Or is it only based on the number of participating players ?

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 2:52PM DerpMchurson said

I regret leaving Vanguard. I miss the diplomacy mini game =(

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 4:28PM Irem said

FFXI. They changed pretty much everything I had a serious problem with about a year after I left. I've tried to go back, but most of my friends have moved on and I'm very far behind...that having been said, if all my current longterm MMO prospects bottom out, I'll just head back to XI (or maybe XIV).

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 5:12PM mysecretid said

I don't regret leaving Warhammer Online, but I do miss it, intermittently.

I played for the High Elf PvE story arc, and I had a /great/ time.

The game even got me to dabble in PvP (the PvE storyline gave the PvP a context) and I enjoyed what dabbling I did.

Problem is, WAR's devs have already said they have no plans to add further PvE content to the game -- so, once I'd played my High Elf through his game-long PvE story arc, I had no reason to go back.

Which is not to say I don't wish that I could, I just can't justify $15/month merely to play endless rounds of "death tag" for loot, no matter how fun it may be at times.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 7:09PM belgeode said

At the moment, none. But then that is par for my life... I am a man of very few regrets.

My only real regret as far as gaming goes, is that they chose the route they did in SWG, that led to its demise.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 7:26PM Dranthaar said

I would have to say the one game for me, really, that I regret leaving is Asheron's Call. Even now, I find myself comparing new games coming out not to WoW, but to AC.

Asheron's Call was one of the first games I ever played, along with Everquest and Ultima Online, but it's the one I still think about, and have considered going back to more than once. The only real reason I have yet to do so is the fact I'm playing so many other games now, one more is just to many.

There are others I wouldn't mind playing again, but AC is the only one I can honestly say I do miss.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 7:43PM godot9 said

EQ1 not for leaving (whole guild migrated to WoW at the time), but for how I left. I gave my account away to someone who later sold it to some cash-for-gold agency. Now that EQ1 is going f2p, I won't be able to use my old characters (necro, chanter, druid) and will have to grind from 1-75 again.

Wah....

-Sweetfang

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 5:35AM Cyroselle said

Oddly, Guild Wars. I still have friends playing that game, and would love to play with them, but cannot for the life of me remember my old password to my online game copies.

I've contacted NCSoft customer support several times now and although their auto-responder said they would get right back to me, they never did...

Anyhow, I can't justify to myself re-buying the old games since GW2 is somewhere around the corner.

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 6:11PM Vazzaroth said

@Cyroselle

I just recently got back into mine after not remember my password or my character names. Make sure you contact them during the day? They were very speedy in their responses, and even helped me with about 4 separate issues. You just have to make sure you put your responses between the stupid dotted lines in their replies.

Posted: Feb 19th 2012 12:50AM Cyroselle said

@Vazzaroth OK, I'll give that a shot, thank you!

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 6:19AM Haldurson said

I've never regretted leaving a game early. At worst, I've stayed a bit too long in some, because of friends or because of feeling of committed to a guild. I won't say that I've never had mixed feelings, and I often miss my former guildmates. I have come back simply to say hi and bye. But I've never had to say that 'I should have kept playing', because generally when I leave a game, it's because I'm bored or burned out or both.

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 11:01AM uglidoll said

I miss wow. I didn't have enough money to pay for my account, but i loved it :(

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 1:07PM Vorender said

Fallen Earth for sure, which is why I'm playing it again. Waaahooo!!!

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014