Posted: Feb 17th 2012 3:58PM (Unverified) said

@Cyclone Jack

The same line forming events around certain mobs/bottlenecks were already observed in the Korean and Japanese instances long before this beta so EME would have already been well aware of the problem. The fact that they never addressed it is disappointing but sadly expected at this point. And if you do intend to start your "developer slapping-spree" then let us know, as many of us will likely throw down some cash in support. God knows some of these people need a good smacking or too.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 4:22PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Like I said- The sooner the better. Until then, everything is subject to change.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 4:26PM Faction 3 said

@Bhima

The extraordinary overcrowding of GW2 at launch is really all Im worried about, you KNOW its going to be a nightmare for the first few days, or even weeks, of launch. I plan to get it ASAP, but I'll be holding off on playing it until a week or 2 afterwards...it'll be like Rush-Hour traffic in Chicago.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 5:52PM Cyclone Jack said

@Bhima
"This won't happen in GW2 because you don't need to party and there is no kill stealing... just contribute SOMETHING and you will progress."

There you go using reason to counter my argument (and I should have thought of the no KSing and all that). Still, I just want a good reason to sneak in and use their cereal bar. Maybe Collin will read this and send me an invite. We can talk WvW over a bowl of everythingmixedtogether. :)

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 5:51AM Cyroselle said

@Cyclone Jack We've actually had this happen in RIFT before, during one of those weeks-long world events that introduce new raid instances. There were special quest spawns in Meridian and all but one broke, so amazingly most server populations actually got in line and politely took turns clicking on the object.

Trion's learned since, thankfully, but I just wanted to point out that even though it's a 2011 game, mistakes will still happen, even weird bottlenecks like this.

And actually considering that adding in additional quests is usually par the course for the 'westernization' process, it's possible that this is a brand new quest that doesn't exist in the KR version, hence still requiring testing.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 2:55PM Unshra said

Ah that boss, what made things worse was that some people like the one chatting in the screenshot insisted in soloing the mob instead of forming in a group so more people got credit. Over time the the line changed from one at a time to groups at a time but still the whole waiting for the respawn in the line is just stupid and brought me back to the EQ raid line days.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 2:56PM Unshra said

@Unshra By boss I meant "named" >.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 5:46PM Space Cobra said

@Unshra

I remember them days. People talk about "Immersion Killer" and that was certainly a major one for me on many levels.

When this is a game and you got to wait in line for a respawn is almost like waiting in line at the checkout line in a supermarket. Seeing the respawns again and again (while waiting in line) makes you think how fake things are in your face instead of easily shrugging your shoulders and ignoring it.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 3:11PM Leandra said

I just pre-ordered... I can't wait for the next beta weekend!

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 1:19PM MrSquiggles said

@Leandra

Hope to see you there Leandra :3

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 3:19PM Viiral said

First swing? No.. this will be the 2nd eu beta.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 3:24PM MtthwRddl said

Why weren't people grouping for the special mob quests?

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 5:54AM Cyroselle said

@MtthwRddl according to other players people eventually 'got it' and began to group up to share kill credit. :D

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 3:41PM Adeptus Enginus said

Whilst I admire the community's resourcefulness in a situation like that... the whole "boss credit" thing is an issue you REALLY shouldn't see in a modern MMO.

Meh, haven't liked what I've heard so far, seems a bit too grindy for my tastes, but props to those who enjoyed it, and to En Masse for listening to the community.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 4:12PM (Unverified) said

@Adeptus Enginus

You talking about the same game? It isn't even remotely grindy.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 8:40PM Adeptus Enginus said

@(Unverified)

Wouldn't know, again; I've only heard about it from folk who actually played it. I've been told the majority of quests boil down to the average go-here-kill-these ordeals, and while the combat looks interesting, good combat with nothing new to do it in will get just as dull as WoW is to me once the novelty wears off.

"shrug", maybe the ones I've talked to have been lying through their teeth.

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 5:57AM Cyroselle said

@Adeptus Enginus They could also just be really jaded and have their perceptions colored by that, or perhaps they're exaggerating. Doesn't always have to be lying. :D

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 3:53PM Wild Colors said

I was sorta disappointed at the combat. It was a bit more engaging than something like WoW, but I generally had to stand still to use my abilities.

This gave it a somewhat stilted feel....I would stand still, hit or cast something, then sidestep to avoid their slow and ponderous counterattacked. Then I would stand still again, hit or cast something, then sidestep, etc. etc.

Possibly I was just doing it wrong?

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 5:13PM Utakata said

@Wild Colors

Matt Daniel wrote inpart:

"And then there's the self-root. Sigh. Now, I've heard that this becomes less of an issue at higher levels thanks to unlocked abilities and glyphs, but I've yet to experience that, so I'm just going with what I know, and what I know is that having ability animations that root me in place completely blows. As I mentioned earlier, I played a Warrior for this beta test, and the whole philosophy behind Warriors is that they fight with a pair of swords and focus on landing a flurry of quick-but-weak attacks in order to defeat their enemies. More importantly, they are evasion tanks. Their leather armor isn't going to do much to stop the force of an attack, so if Warriors want to survive on the front lines, evasion is their best line of defense. Why is it, then, that every single attack -- even my basic mana-generating combo attacks -- roots me in place until it's finished? Yes, I could break it early by using my dodge ability, but if I wanted to break an animation early while my dodge was on cooldown, I was screwed. Since I was playing a class that relied heavily on evasion and positioning to survive, that extra fraction of a second required to finish the animation was often the difference between avoiding damage and eating a power attack."

Source: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/14/going-toe-to-toe-with-teras-first-beta-weekend/

...so it's not just you.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 5:18PM Darkkhorse said

@Utakata well, I had hopes for this game and that just dashed them... AoC had this same issue and it finally cause me to quit. I don't mind having to stop and cast something, but having to stop and swing a weapon is a game killer for me. but that is just my personal preference.