Posted: Feb 16th 2012 8:38PM Electrium said

If you're focusing solely on last-hitting, I recommend using a champion with a really slow attack speed. It's much easier to guarantee the last hit because of higher damage per hit, and your wait between hits serves as punishment (or a reminder, choose your poison) that you didn't get the kill.

Also, this article doesn't really mention anything about support / tanks. If you're lane partner is an AP / AD carry, give them as many last hits as you can - only take a last hit when they 100% cannot get it.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 8:38PM Electrium said

@Electrium

Ouch, "your" fail. Nooooo!

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 9:34PM Patrick Mackey said

@Electrium
Really, this guide was huge and I could only fit so much in. I will talk about lane comps at some point, but there really wasn't enough space to do it and it's really not necessary at the beginner levels of play.

Also, to play a bit of devil's advocate, there are a lot of different viable lane comps, and while I stand by the "standard" myself, there is a lot of merit in running a duo assassin lane or AP + support bottom weirdness.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 8:51PM h4ngedm4n said

I would like to add that flat AD runes (Mark of Strength) help a lot with last hitting. See, if you do more damage a hit, there is a bigger window to land a killing blow than if you do less damage a hit.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 9:40PM Patrick Mackey said

@h4ngedm4n
They can, definitely. I don't want to recommend runes because there are a lot of guides on how to rune and build individual characters. Also, I think that champions are a much more important thing to get with IP when you're low level (pre-20) than runes are.

I wanted to avoid talking about things that aren't technique in this article. Player skill is more important to develop than a better rune page! I will probably talk about runes at some point just because they are really expensive and buying the wrong ones is very detrimental.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 10:58PM slash beast said

Forgot to mention that LH is easier with an AD champion because their basic attacks deal more damage than an AP scaling champion. (generally atleast, exceptions are champs like ziggs with his passive)

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 2:26AM Vazzaroth said

Bleh, this is exactly the sort of thing that keeps me from enjoying MOBAs. To me, forcibly stopping your DPS just so you can arbitrarily get that last shot on a minion while fighting against the game mechanics of your autoattacking champion is just bad game design and carry over for the sake of nostalgia exclusively from the days of this genre being a mod. These two issues I see as being very pervasive across the MOBA genre, like everyone keeps trying remake a mod instead of a game.

Anyway, I personally didn't realize just how money last hitting regularly will net you until you put it into perspective VS player kills, so I'll probably try to do it more... but I'm not going to like it!

FYI You CAN press and hold right mouse click to move around. I freaking hate watching "Pro" MOBA players just spazz the shit out on their RMB to move, ugh. I don't know how they can put up with the noise, much less thinking about what that's doing to the life of their expensive gaming mouse.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 4:46AM (Unverified) said

@Vazzaroth
While I kind of agree that MOBAs seem to cling to some old ideas like their lives depended on it, I do see some design merit to the idea of last-hitting being a useful and valuable feature to have in a competitive game.

If you didn't have to last-hit enemies in order to generate gold off of the kill, the money value of killing that creep would have to either be distributed based on presence (like EXP is) or based on simply whether or not you hit the creep at all.
The problem I see with this is that lane control through positioning and harassment are extremely valuable skills to develop because they allow you to -prevent- your lane opponent(s) from being able to effectively last-hit minions, which, if you are still able to last-hit, gives you a significant advantage.
It means that "beating" your opponent in lane, without necessarily killing them, but simply by forcing them not to be able to get creep score, can give you a solid advantage, and rewards skilled play, even when you aren't able to kill your enemy.
If simply hitting enemies at all, or simply being within EXP range, would merit gold off of minion kills, it means that you aren't as rewarded for pressuring your opponent out of being able to concentrate on effectively last-hitting, and it makes the laning phase even more boring.

One of the reasons the laning phase works the way it does is that the goal is for you to do as little as possible while earning the greatest rewards, use as few cooldowns, as little mana/energy, and lose as little health as possible while gaining maximum rewards (which means -only- last-hitting). Pushing the lane early, even if you are getting last-hits out of it, is dangerous for you, as you then have to extend out farther into the lane to be able to do anything at all, which puts you at severe risk of ganking, or simply getting bullied at a bad time and paying dearly for it.
If you had to do less to get maximum rewards, for instance just being present to get gold/exp, then the optimal strategy would be to literally do nothing to put yourself at risk until you are farmed... and that's boring.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 5:32PM meiam said

@(Unverified)

They could easily fix that by making gold per minute earned tied to how many tower you destroyed. This would reverse the situation, where right pushing your lane is bad, to one where player are actually trying to accomplish the objective.

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 6:03PM Patrick Mackey said

@meiam
That would not be even close to the same game as LoL. In LoL, pushing is often bad; not because taking their turret is bad (it's great) but because leaving yourself vulnerable to ganks is bad. If another enemy comes into your lane, you have less space to travel to get to safety under your turret.

The reason why the laning phase is one of my favorite times of the game is because you have to juggle enemy positioning and zoning, last-hitting, MIAs, the position of the enemy jungler, push and counter-push, key neutral creep timers (especially blue and dragon) and warding. It's a huge mental juggling act and the team that does it better has a big advantage. Doing it better can mean disrupting the enemy so that they can't do it at all, too. You don't have to be rock-solid at last-hitting if you can make last-hitting a huge problem for the enemy, but you also have to be running a team comp with that idea in mind. There's no point in running a strong ganker in a lane with a passive character who won't back you up.

The idea of pushing turrets is bad because of roaming, not because of last-hitting. You can still last-hit and push; you actually have to do it in Dominion and I will talk about that in a later article.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 7:16AM Clemalum07 said

• 1 heart
is LoL a MMO? I dk much about it.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 12:45PM Archintyeron said

@Clemalum07
LoL is not really a MMO, because you're not playing with a massive amout of players at the same time. But it still has a massive amout of players.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 10:33AM EvilCartographer said

Last Hitting comes with practice. I found the best way to start out was to just create custom games with no opponents. That way I was able to figure out the timing for attack animations, get a better feel for damage-dealt, etc.

The Daily Grind: Should museums preserve MMOs?

Posted on Oct 1st 2014 8:00AM