Posted: Feb 16th 2012 6:56PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
A game with so much potential just sits and rots away. A dead world with no life, but plenty of lifeless npc's to play with.

So much could be done to this game to raise it from the dead, other than the obvious server merges, there are many dead servers in this game.

I remember when the dev Orion made the statement that basically sealed this games fate to be niche, and that has come to pass. With the game slowly grinding toward death the devs have no choice but to address the things they swore they would not do, and that is make monster play a much larger part of LOTR. This is an attempt to bring in players and new subs.This is a very hot topic, one devs hate to discuss because of what they stated a couple years ago, something that caused the game to slowly lose population.

I know this is a big thorn in Orions side or whomever has hopefully taken over his spot. No one can deny that if true monster player, those of us that have never wanted to play the dead side of the LOTR franchise, raiding, raiding, and more raiding, was given equal attention the game might revive instead of festering.

Great visuals, sometimes lore as i call it that is semi deep because a large portion is inaccurate and made to suit the devs needs, all big plusses and some hefty failure, what are new folks to think? from the dead server i play, obviously not many new folks make it past the restricted trial. LOTR needs to take a tip from GW.

Devs need to get over the spite thing and look for funds, get devs or team leads that can make choices instead of waffling, and they need to stop pulling priorities out of a hat at random draw thursday.

I have a little over 1.3 mill in destiny, nice to see they will just get rid of it from what this report states. *shakes head sadly*

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 7:08PM smartstep said

@Graill440

Lotro is game that has it's age. Also game that made some serious design and business model decision in last two years.
Decision that cannot be reversed.

Lotro as well is facing bigger and bigger fierce competition in f2p / freemium market. + there are quite a bit of new titles incoming soon.

Imo best to stop hoping and either suck current situation up or just stop playing this game.

Holding onto and hoping , praying ,asking or even begging - is just waste of your and other dedicated players time and emotions that are still in Lotro.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 10:03PM TortoiseCan said

@Graill440

What are you talking about ? This response is so far from the truth. You make it sound like the game is breathing it's final breath when in reality - it's more popular than ever - they're working on the biggest expansion ever, and personally I am enjoying every moment of this game. It's a work of art, and in my opinion is the greatest MMO on the market.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 12:05AM Aarmic said

@TortoiseCan You must be fairly new to the game. Most of us that have been with the game since the beginning or shortly thereafter have been told many things that have never, ever come to fruition with this game. On top of that, I can GUARANTEE that the store will be a major part of this new reward system. Mark my word. They aren't making PvP better, they're figuring out ways to get you to buy stuff in the store for a system that always has been, and always will be, broken. The two people that run LOTRO (Steefel and Paiz) both also ran "There", a clone of Second Life, which is now defunct because they tried to force everyone to buy stuff from the store, and that's the same thing they are doing, and are going to do, to LOTRO.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 8:01PM TortoiseCan said

@Aarmic

I've been playing lotro for almost 3 years. Granted, I haven't even explored anything beyond Moria yet (Still working on Moria raids) and I've only dabbled in pvmp, it's not through lack of trying. Anyway, I play in a kin with 1400 members, most of which have multiple max level characters - and I've never heard any sane person say "man, I can't believe turbine didn't do X or Y like they said they would" because the fact is that the game has so much content, it's impossible to absorb all of it. I see these complaints from forum warriors, not actual players. There isn't some giant movement of LOTRO vets out there shaking their fists at turbine like you make it out , that's just a figment of your imagination and a falsehood created to strengthen your arguments.

If you aren't happy with the game and think it's doom and gloom and the store is going to rape and pillage middle earth, then fine. Nobody who actually plays the game feels the same way because it's simply not true. The fact is that there are a lot of players out there with 10k TP in their accounts because they've been subbing for so long, and turbine is giving them opportunities to spend those TP. Then there's the other side of that, the F2P leeches that just complain about everything because they're too cheap to pay for a service that they actively use. Then there's the middle ground - which I fall under - where I usually don't have that much TP and find the LOTRO store fun to make purchases here and there, without it detracting from my enjoyment of the game.

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 2:01AM Cyroselle said

@Graill440 Perhaps this is because I'm a newbie to the game, but I'm not hearing a death-rattle yet. I see lots of other players in the crafting halls, out questing and even some RP. The Auction House seems healthy enough, and I get hit by party and guild invites here and there....

Their chat system is often strangely quiet though, probably the quietest (and also most polite, there don't seem to be any trolls) I've ever seen in an MMO, it's a little disconcerting. Are people just talking in their own private channels, or sticking close to their guilds?

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 2:05AM Cyroselle said

@TortoiseCan IMO the store is fine how it is, Turbine's got my admiration for actually doing a decent job at this whole Freemium thing, and I've been able to purchase my riding skill w/out actually using actual cash, which is pretty neat.

I think I'll follow one Massively writer's advice and subscribe for at least a month to get my bag unlocks. It's an extremely enjoyable game so I'm willing to toss some coin in Turbine's direction.

In fact it's become my favorite off-game to play with when I'm not RIFTing.

The store could use a little more organization though, it's kind of a mess.

Posted: Feb 18th 2012 3:05AM TortoiseCan said

@Cyroselle

Yeah, there's a lot of ways to make the most out of spending little cash in the game and going VIP is your best bet. If I were you, I'd pre-order their mithril edition if you don't plan on actively subbing, it gives you tons of stuff that you're going to need as a premium (non VIP) player. I'd go VIP for 3 months for 30 bucks, make all your toons, get your riding skills, bag restrictions removed, etc - then once that runs out, load up the mithril edition and you will have enough TP saved up from being VIP coupled with the mithril edition to basically buy all of the content right up to the most recent expansion (which I haven't gotten to yet, in 3 years)

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 10:20PM Nerves said

In terms of numbers, the population looks pretty healthy. I know I'm among legion players who will scoop up any new content when it comes out - as long as they keep coming out with stuff, people like me (who don't pay a sub) will keep buying it.

I suspect that at the core of this update is trying to get more point transactions out of VIP and lifetime players - as it is, you get a ton of DP from PvMP. People are using these instead of store buffs solution: make it a lot harder to get TP and hope that consumable sales increase. I'm sure this is also part of a larger scheme to monetize PvMP for the 'freep' player. (something I would welcome, as a non-VIP player).

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 12:17AM SwarlesBarkley said

@Nerves

You sound like you just left a Turbine pep rally. I am glad to be away from Lotro and will gladly allow you stewards to play a game and continue to pay for something that is steadily being changed for the worse. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid that Sauron lifts his leg into.

The game might not be on its deathbed, but for many who bought lifetime accounts and who were there since the beginning its like watching an old friend die, not remembering who you are. And that "Biggest Update Yet" news they keep spewing will no doubt be riddled with issues and will not be as noteworthy as they would have you to believe. Definitely do not buy into the hype until the product is delivered. Isengard still has bugs, no way Rohan will arrive without some major issues. You can take that to the Shire!

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 6:27AM Nerves said

Not quite. Notice I'm not subbing or playing at the moment. Bugs in raids, Pay to Win and PvMP imbalance are the biggest reasons I've stopped playing. That being said, Yes, I'll go back and buy the updates because I love the backstory and play through the content on one or two characters. IMO, the game just isn't good enough to play regularly, but completely adequate for returning to when there's something new to do.

My point was that there are enough people like me that don't like the game enough to sub, but are willing to pay for the content updates to keep it afloat.

Some how claiming that there is still population in the game makes me a 'kool-aid drinking fanboi'. Kindly direct your rage elsewhere.

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound