Posted: Feb 16th 2012 3:01AM Valentina said

• 1 heart
@jealouspirate

Umm...??? BioWare tells stories far better than Valve, and their games are very much games. Not movies, they happen to have the ability to enthrall people in the same way movies can but you're still very much playing a game. Story should be part of the game, not a back drop of it. The story should be present in everything you're doing PvE wise, unless you're doing something specifically designed to be "gamey". Like puzzles, or something.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 10:16PM Primal Zed said

Kind of the opposite approach some other developers are taking. Will be interested to see how it works out - will they still be able to create an interesting world and tell compelling narratives within that world?

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 10:19PM Joaquin Crowe said

If it's something like one of the first things you do in Witcher 2 (you're climbing up a moving war machine, while the king fills you in verbally on what would usually be a wall of text), then it's a good thing. You just need something short to start things off.

The worse quests are the ones with pages of text for something mind numbing simple. Or in SWTOR's case, near 10 minutes of some old people griping about needing some trash from the local dump.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 11:09PM StClair said

@Professer
It's not the system, it's that (a depressing number of) people don't want to read. At all, if they can help it.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 11:10PM Irem said

I'm perfectly fine with this if it means the story being something I can experience in the actual world as opposed to being fed through quest text.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 11:14PM Beergut said

Wonder if they plan on using hashtags...

#GoKill10SpaceRatsBitch

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 11:47PM MewmewGirl said

"Nobody likes reading quest text."

I love reading quest text and so do a great many others. So that big generalization is wrong right off the bat, and because of that I don't even care what the rest of your opinion is, no offense.

Skipping through the various comments I see that the game is going to tell the story in other ways rather than just boiling it down to nothing - which is good because I find short quest text to usually mean lack of story which I very much dislike.

Now if someone wants to do it both ways - having a short description up top of what to quickly do, with the story down below that (as various games now do) - that's fine. But getting rid of the story completely is something I really don't want to see. Telling the story in other ways however (such as SWTOR does) is great and if they find new and different ways to tell it without just cutting it out I'll be okay with it but I still don't hate reading quest text...

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 12:59AM Squidsnthings said

It is weird to be really excited about something and then when you hear more and more about it you get less and less interested. That fake interview with the bunny lady was one of the worst things I have ever read. I mean they were asking her about her boobs... what the hell...

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 1:01AM Mikx said

#escortquest

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 2:17AM Cirocco said

This could work, depending on how the character's story and plot is implemented in conjunction with the snippet of quest blurbs. I'll have to see the final product to make a proper assessment, preferably via beta.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 5:58AM Dolnor said

Why not have the best of both worlds?

Just like some games let you set "Loot All Items Always?" settings.

Have a checkbox option in the game settings: "Brief Quest Text Only?" □

Check the box and save. Now all quest text will only give the top 2 sentences on the quest. Unchecked = the full wall 'o text! -)

TQQdles™

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 7:11AM FrostPaw said

@StClair

Strange thing, when playing a single player game, I read quest text or conversations, when playing an mmo I skip it. I think it has something to do with the perception of the world moving on without you, no time to stand around when your party is waiting for you, no time to read quest text while all the allies in the zone outlevel you....kill 10 of these, right lets do it.

There is also the point that in an mmo even the better ones, you can't influence the world anyway so why does it matter? I don't care about clearing out the boars from farmer freds field because they are just gonna respawn again.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 11:30AM (Unverified) said

"letting the story unfold organically"

/facepalm

Once you start to see buzzwords being used you know it isn't going to end well.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 12:25PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) My thoughts exactly

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 12:25PM (Unverified) said

yeah this game went from a big interest to almost an immediate pass in my book.......... I like lore and story. Getting me interested in completing a quest isn't about making it as meaningless as possible, it's about doing the opposite.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 1:04PM Tom in VA said

Guild Wars had some extremely well-written quests. I didn't mind reading them at all.

I guess I will need to see WS's system in action, but this sounds like another way of saying that they're dumbing down the game but trying to put the best possible PR spin on it that they can. :(

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 5:01PM Cyroselle said

@Tom in VA GW too, totally forgot about those, thanks Tom!

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 5:00PM Cyroselle said

I like *good* text, but often times it's like these NPCs have diarreah of the mouth, and having walls of text crit you really isn't fun.

Read Allods quest text some time, it's like 3 paragraphs of run-on sentences for each quest. I don't need to know what the NPC had for breakfast or about the health of their uncle, I would just like to know who needs to be snuffed and a very brief background on the conflict for lore's sake.

For what it's worth, WoW usually had the best quest text. RIFT's is OK. LoTRo's is a little chatty. ;)