Posted: Feb 15th 2012 8:55PM Beau Hindman said

"It was a sad sight but a harsh reminder of just how genuine this game really is."

I'm going to steal this and say that I wrote it. I love games that actually pull out emotion in me, and it's hard to describe how Wurm can make a player feel. This sentence summed it up... the game can feel bittersweet, as if you had really been through something! :)

Beau

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 10:16PM dazt said

Nice Article.

I recently went back to the Massively village and saw the remains of so many homes. A total contrast to how it was in its prime. I repaired my old sailboat and have founded my own settlement elsewhere. Looking forward to starting again.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 1:41AM Nepentheia said

What a fantastic read! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

I really like this new "Why I Play" series and look forward to reading the next one. :-)

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 3:30AM Mylamber said

That was epic. Thank you Shawn! I've read Beau's articles about time spent in Wurm, and even tried it out for a little while. I'm definitely going back after hearing about your adventures. Possibilities seem endless!

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 10:19PM Nateryl said

I just dove into this game a week or two ago. Quickly it had me in its grips and I dumped some cash for a year of premium. Somehow it has pulled me from Eve more then I expected it too! You have to get used to the pacing of the game but slowly watching your settlement shape into something is very cool. I am really enjoying the epic cluster as well, need to get in on a raid to elevation!!!

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 11:44PM Tazuras said

I recently went back in myself and checked it out. Everything was gone and there were wild animals all over the place. Thankfully I had built up my fight skill some before I had left. I missed it, but i didn't miss the things I had so much, more the great people that I used to play with there, and the sum of our achievements, some of which were still there. I felt a certain hollowness, seeing that he game world move on without me in some ways. But seeing the things that remained, that I had contributed to, like the breakwaters, the willows on the mountaintop and the earthen lookout tower that rose above them... I knew that players would come and see that, and perhaps be intrigued, and maybe, just maybe might wonder about who did all that, or be inspired by some of it. That's a big part of what the true greatness of Wurm is to me.

Posted: Feb 17th 2012 6:54AM ShawnSchuster said

@Tazuras
Yeah, that's one thing I didn't really expand upon in this article, but when I say that I left the original village to start my own, I didn't mention how quickly I missed everyone in the village. And by the time I did come back, it was too late. That experience was a bit more emotional than I thought it would be, considering I've played so many other MMOs with so many other groups of people in the form of guilds. I guess when you build a village together, it connects you to other people differently than if you raid with them twice a week or whatever.