Posted: Feb 16th 2012 12:19AM Miffy said

What future? It's dead....

A future would be DAOC2 but that isn't going to happen. The game has been dead since TOA, at least Mythic did Classic servers to try and get the population back.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 4:09AM Shoros said

Actually, DAoC is still alive. The server that's up is always populated because it's a merged US/EU server. You can get to level 20-24 in around 3 hours playtime and you also have good equip. It took me around 10 hours to get to 39. And you always have PvP, from the very start. It's still lots of fun!
Of course it's dying, but it's not dead yet.

You can always just try it out by the way. Just register an account, download DAoC for free and play 14 days without any cost. Just saying. I didn't resubscribe, but the 2 weeks were fun :)

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 5:34AM randomeclipse said

I had pondered whether or not to go back and play DAoC again, and did for a few weeks about a year or so ago.

Unfortunately it wasn't the same game and without a solid guild or group of friends it's not half as much fun. I could have probably built up a character, get them templated (eventually) and head out into RvR and I'm sure I'd have some fun, but it won't be the same.

In light of that, if you're a fan of a 3 way... 3 realms/factions going against one another and want to help support a developer who wants to emulate Mythic and their DAoC days, then I'd suggest taking a look at the MMORPG:

Dominus - www.dominusthegame.com

The signs sofar look promising for a 2012 release and the devs have regular LIVE video casts with fans to answer all sorts of questions - the way it should be!

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 8:37AM (Unverified) said

The game pretty much consists of an exploit where everyone sits in a summoning circle and bosses keep popping out. It's an experience summoning circle. That's where half the of the server's population i sitting at any one time. I'd imagine it's allowed because the devs are just happy to have people playing it lol. I wish this game did die. I miss it so much.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 12:22PM c0gnit0 said

@(Unverified) Well we all know who hasn't played this game for more than the trial or during peak hours! The game has more people in RvR at any given time than supposedly "exploiting" an exp bug. With Mythic's 10 year history, if it was unintentional, it would've been hotfixed out of the game by now. I'll admit this game isn't quite as fun without friends because once you hit 50, you need groups to do the fun stuff. If you can swing the learning curve and patience to get good at it, you can always solo the Frontiers with a stealth class. Your best bet in this game if you're returning is to 1) bring friends 2) find friends and make a guild 3) join a preexisting guild and run with them. RvR is centered around packs of people doing things and PvE is doable for certain combinations but you won't do anything worthwhile without at least....four people. DAoC is a great game and the developers realize it's 10 years old. They aren't forcing you to take months to level up a max level character to enjoy all of the game again. They realize that grinding in such an old school mmo is only going to turn most players away (only a rare few still enjoy doing that and to those people, I applaud you. It's good to get back to your roots sometimes) so they introduced the questing system for each town that leads to about level 35 or 40. You can also do the bounty quests in each battlegrounds and level up quickly that way, in addition to some PvP, as well as get bounty scrolls for late game items. Certainly it's not the game it used to be but then again what is? The pace this game moves at (style based combat for melee. Each swing. Rarely instant attacks) is a slug compared to things like WoW (which many people in the mmo market got their start on) and Rift and SW:ToR. It's just a different style game and the people who love it still are on it now, playing in the Frontiers, crafting, or just making their house look sweet. Who cares though? We love our game and we're happy that it isn't dead. So please, PLEASE stop wishing our game was dead. If you don't like it, don't play it and be done with it lol. Happy hunting.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 12:24PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
didn't**

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 12:49PM (Unverified) said

Wow dude you really typed that wall of text because I forgot an apostrophe and two letters? Learn to read context.

Posted: Feb 16th 2012 1:18PM Anatidae said

I always wonder why MMO developers don't take older games like this and refresh all the graphics and animations to appeal to new subscribers.

In reality, I am sure that DAoC is more fleshed out than most MMOs. If you put shiny new graphics on it, it might give a reason for people who were introduced to WoW to check it out.

Same thing with even older games. Everquest, Ultima Online - both have updated their clients a little. In the case of UO it sounds like they just made a mess of it. Which is definitely the "trick" - if you update the graphics they better actually look way better.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014