Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:30PM Buhallin said

@Stall You've been vocal in defending them, Stall, could you link to a few sources for the info you're working from?

At the very least, could you elaborate on the "suspended sentence" thing? Even in your enthusiastic defense, it certainly doesn't sound like the conviction was overturned. I'm far more concerned with whether there was appropriate evidence to convict them of the theft than the semantics of "They didn't actually go to jail because it was a suspended sentence, so that makes it OK." I'm not sure if that's what you're actually trying to say, but it certainly seems like the point you're trying to make.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 12:27PM Vandal said

@Stall Please post a link. If the article is wrong then Massively should certainly change it but making claims that the facts are wrong without evidence to prove it doesn't mean much.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 12:30PM Vandal said

@Buhallin I agree. Even if no one served prison time, there were certainly convictions of guilt. That means they were found *guilty* of corporate theft and no amount of defense from die-hards like Spall can deny that.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:05PM sofbert said

• 1 heart
"I don't know whether any of the convicted Bluehole folk have gone on to work at En Masse, but I do know that if I decide to play the game, I'll essentially be funding a couple of firms that have no moral qualms about breaking the rules when they see fit."

Haha, it's a good thing that neither rules or laws conflict with morals, in my eyes. Both are made by stupid people with $$ in mind and usually not the concern of the consumer in mind. I'll not lose any sleep if I knew that they ripped off content that was never going to be used in the first place.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:46PM (Unverified) said

@sofbert

Neither rules or laws conflict with morals? That is about the dumbest thing I've ever seen written.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:10PM paterah said

@Buhallin I was merely talking about PR and the "moral" side of things. Something that is entirely irrelevant to anyone who doesn't dwell the MMO sites which is the majority. The fact is if I cared about these things then I wouldn't be playing anything that looks decent with a severe budget, SP or MMO and would only be playing Bastion and Binding of Isaac or some other indie game (great games btw).

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:22PM (Unverified) said

I liked the game and I already pre-ordered it.

I'm sorry that you find that you can't play it because some people on the team stole code designs from another game. You do know that it was probably a handful of them and from what we know they have been punished....

I'm assuming that there are plenty of honest people on Bluehole studios team also that had nothing to do with this and how is it fair to punish them when they had no part in this?

That would be like a couple people at massively plagiarizing an article then me coming here and saying I can never trust this site again because of what happened that's basically what your saying even though half your staff would of had nothing to do with it.....

I don't get your reasoning but whatever you know you feel how you feel.....

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 6:46PM vekien said

@unverified I am sorry but no they did not do a lot of what you did. Wow /sit amazing, the Korean version has it, the quests? Korean version has them, they added very few and adjusted some to fit their English ideas (that will be a waste of time like SWTOR's voice acting is becoming).

All character customization is identical to the Korean version, the levelling is not any different, they ampd up the EXP Gains and that is it, You level twice as fast as the Korean version.

Took them 1/half year to:
- Double EXP Gains

Show me something thats new and interesting that other studios couldnt have done in a day, look at FFXIV, it failed and they've built an entire new game in the time it took Enmas/Frog to translate a existing game lols.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:30PM Softserve said

I have no real opinion on this one. I like the political system idea and I keep hearing about the combat... So like with any other promising MMO I pre-order, try out the beta and cancel it if I outright hate the game (Aion being a good example).

I'm willing to give it a shot. A lot of the things listed here don't particularly bother me. I can move past the legal stuff presuming it doesn't make the game go away lol

In this space I mostly have my eye on ArcheAge.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:31PM VikingGamer said

One thing to keep in mind about the IP controversy is that KTERA is still running in spite of it all. The chances that NCSoft will be able to get an injunction in an American court is slim. Further, NCSoft never moved forward with L3. It was completely scrapped. So they will have a pretty difficult time demonstrating how the art style of Tera is negatively impacting the bottom line of a game they never bothered to produce.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:53PM BubleFett said

@Fnights

Agree, took the words right out my mouth.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:58PM Xo1o said

to me it's just a sign of negative conditioning what some people say the Elin depict. If you think they have something sexual then it is in your head. When I see an Elin character I see something cute and funny, the fact that they wear short skirts doesn't change that, since short skirts are not a universal sign for eroticism.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 5:35AM kgptzac said

@Xo1o

I suppose that differs from person to person and culture to culture. Maybe someone finds a depiction of a nude woman or man not necessarily a sign of eroticism, and I agree. But censorship is a collective conformation to a culture, so whether "you" and "I" find something means eroticism or no ultimately does not matter much.

That being said, I still highly suspect the art direction is meant to invoke eroticism to various degree depend on personal taste. However interesting it is to explore those realms, it really isn't worth the trouble of deliberately introducing "controversies" to an MMO that is meant to be mass-consumed.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:05PM (Unverified) said

I disagree with everything you are saying, but that is what makes this country great. You have your opinion and I have mine. I am looking forward to this game.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:06PM Theodorus said

I'm actually LOOKING for a game that objectifies the female form. Back in the day, when 90% of the player base was comprised of adolescent males, we got adolescent male fantasy. LotFO (Lord of the Flies Online). Firiona Vie sold more boxes of EQ than word-of-mouth about the incredible gameplay...

Now everything has to be filtered through the PC police. My elven hunter in LotRO wears what looks like it should be a midriff leather vest, but her stomache is covered by what appears to be chocolate brown bubble-wrap. Who draws this stuff, the Taliban?

To be fair, I'm totally fine with female players "objectifying" the male avatars. But they won't, because they generally aren't wired that way.

As to the Elin, they don't particularly look sexual to me, so this is a kind of "meh" issue, I think. People just want to be offended by something so they can feel morally righteous.

All you guys who thought it would be cool to get your girlfriends to play MMOs...see what you've done? I hope you're all happy...

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:28PM Rialle said

@Theodorus

The problem is that female players don't really get an opportunity to objectify the male avatars in the way that they want. Often the male figures look like steroid enhanced brutes, which fit more into male power fantasies even if they wear little clothing:

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:14PM Brianna Royce said

@Fnights This isn't a game review -- it's our opinion column. It says so at the top of the post, and it says so at the bottom of the post. In our opinion columns, we frequently discuss meta and industry and game design issues. Fortunately, lots of people are interested in this kind of analysis, else we'd just put up a post that says "GAME IS GOOD" and we'd all be out of jobs. :)

-Bree

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:59PM Plastic said

@Buhallin

"You wouldn't steal a car."

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 6:03PM DerpMchurson said

• 1 heart
Jeff, I finally agree with an article you wrote. ^_^

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 6:03PM Primal Zed said

I think what a lot of people either ignore or just haven't seen in regards to TERA's hypersexualization is that it goes beyond what you can get from just screenshots of the game. Combat animations also accentuate the focus on sexualization: characters stick their ass out while running and jumping, belly dance while casting, engage in full pelvic thrusts while shooting a bow. The extra-controversial Elin race has a very noticeable hip sway as their standard combat-ready animation. It's that kind of thing that makes me wonder whether the people who are saying it's no worse than other games are actually doing an objective comparison.

Perfect Ten: My World of Warcraft launch memories