Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:35PM edgecrusherO0 said

I'd argue that hype is actually getting to higher levels than it was last year. Almost everyone who has played it, even the skeptics that pre-ordered it to give the beta weekend a shot, have come out impressed with both the visuals and the gameplay. I'm pre-ordering it to get in on the next weekend.

Yeah, it's a bit over-sexualized and might offend/creep out some prudes, but really, who the hell cares?

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:35PM valestorm said

first of all...i think people really love to see issues, problems, unpleasant things EVERYWHERE. they search for them and they make a huge mess out of every single special detail around a mmo launch. almost naked woman, same sex relationships, child-like toons over-sexualised..everything is a "problem" nowadays. i gues people just like to have their perfect fantasy world everywhere...and if it's not there..it sucks. i expect TERA to have a lot of issues from now on.
i remember a lot of massively readers were extremely unhappy with the fact that aion recieved a column here unlike other western-popular games. and that was...ridiculous lol
now i'd like to point out that there is no such thing as a negative advertising. honestly i first heared about TERA and started to follow it after the scandal in korea lol.
and the ad is funny:))

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:37PM Fireborn2489 said

Something that I'm wondering about is what the lawsuits mean for the European release.

As a European player, I haven't pre-ordered or joined the beta yet as I'm waiting to see if a lawsuit will be lodged against Frogster to prevent them from publishing it. I really hope they don't and that the game manages to make it's May 3rd release here, but the radio silence of all the MMO sites about TERA Europe is slightly unsettling. Maybe there's just nothing to report though.

Regarding the Elin I do struggle with how they appear, and even more so with their underwear showing when they twirl, but I'm just electing not to play as one. Most of the races seem to be overtly sexualised in one way or another so I suppose it's par for the course. If it stops my immersion in the world or makes me seriously uncomfortable down the line I'll just stop playing, but I like to think I have the choice as a consumer what aspects of a product I engage with and which I choose to ignore.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:43PM Buhallin said

@paterah There's a really big difference between "We named a game Rifts 20 years ago and you've named a completely different game Rift today so you stole our trademark!" and "Developers at company A stole code from the company."

I'm a software engineer, I'm sympathetic to the idea that IP restrictions are overdone (I work under them). But this is not a fringe issue, and anyone who would "side with the artist" on this is clueless. This isn't a matter of a company claiming some idea that I came up with on my own time - these are developers who were paid to create a product, built that product, and then took it with them when they left the company. If they were factory workers assembling iPods who walked out with them, they'd be no more thieves than these guys are.

There are plenty of questionable IP issues in the software world today - this really, REALLY isn't one of them.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:47PM Irem said

Jef, Guild Wars (both 1&2) gets plenty of flak for its female armor models.

I doubt the controversy over the Lineage 3 assets will impact TERA much, but WTF was that ad? I hadn't seen it and it's actually offensively bad, wow. It's like they decided the art direction was already going to turn off anyone not walking around in a haze of Axe body spray and testosterone, so they just figured to go for that demographic full-bore.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:51PM Stall said

What is this... site's obsession with bashing this game? There has been a grand total of ONE positive Tera article over the last few months. Every ounce of "reporting" Massively has done on this game has been nothing but negative. Let's not get into how wrong this article is on many accounts, like failing to mention how the BHS employees NEVER got prison time for the court case, but instead suspended sentences. Furthermore, the case ended up getting overturned in BHS's favor at an appeals court. Also, let's not get into how the site still accuses En Masse of the pre-order flub, when Atari is the distributor of the physical edition of the game. Meaning that it as ATARI's f' up, and had little to do with EME.

Oh, and why is there never a mention of EME's outstanding customer support? Most people have said they respond to their tickets in 1 to 12 hours, and always get a manual, non-automated response. And how En Masse has made promises of getting patches to the NA players in short amounts of time. And there's no mention of the overwhelming positive responses to the betas, nor any mentions of how Frogster has overcome their sneak peek goof and has delivered on smooth test after smooth test.

I know that the modern Massively feeds off of negativity and rumor, but this is just starting to get tedious at this point. There is a lot to report on Tera that Massively blatantly ignores, and simply favors to report on nothing beyond the ill. It's misinformation and sensationalistic journalism.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:47PM Anatidae said

@Stall Blogs are not journalism. I gave up on hoping for actual research or investigative reporting on sites like these ages ago.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 7:49PM (Unverified) said

@Anatidae and Stall... The Soapbox is an OPINION column. There have been several positive TERA posts over the past few months. However, most of the news in general regarding TERA recently hasn't been in their favor. That's just reporting the facts. It's not that easy to put a positive spin on getting sued for IP theft.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:54PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
The initial beta was a hot mess. Crashing servers, unstable clients, unresponsive skills/hot keys. Here's to hoping for a better 2nd beta on feb 24th.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:14PM Caskio said

@(Unverified) I didn't experience any of what you mentioned besides 1 server crashed the first day. Beta was great IMO.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:58PM Alex Oglitchkin said

• 1 heart
"I don't know whether any of the convicted Bluehole folk have gone on to work at En Masse, but I do know that if I decide to play the game, I'll essentially be funding a couple of firms that have no moral qualms about breaking the rules when they see fit."

Glad I don't care about morals and who owns this or that. As far as I see it they canceled something so it was dead and got revived by people who care. Tough luck for NCtrash. Only good thing they do is publish Guild Wars.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:30PM Buhallin said

@Alex Oglitchkin "Glad I don't care about morals and who owns this or that."

You really have to appreciate someone who's open enough to admit something like this.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:51PM (Unverified) said

@Buhallin

Oh, he'd care if it was his crap getting ripped off. But since it's somebody else's effort and work getting stolen he doesn't give a damn. The theft benefits him after all, so why should he care (his line of thinking).

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:08PM Space Cobra said

@(Unverified)

Agreed, already I see many responses that are short-sighted in these comments. Rip off other people as long as someone esle does it and pay the robber. Support for accessory to theft.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:06PM kgptzac said

@Space Cobra

or you can look at this way: people who committed wrongdoing received proper punishment, and if the law allows the game to go live, then there would be no moral string attached to be a player of it.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 10:06PM Borick said

@Space Cobra You really need to study up on the legal differences between theft and IP infringement.

IP infringement isn't theft. Not on the books. Not according to the law, and to say anything otherwise is neo-fascist propaganda.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 2:43AM Buhallin said

@Borick I think your "Information wants to be free!" t-shirt has drifted up over your head - because either it was in the way, or you haven't bothered to actually look at this case.

This is not IP infringement. The NCSoft developers left after Lineage 3 was canceled, AND TOOK CODE WITH THEM. Code which they had developed while working for and being paid by NCSoft. That is not IP infringement. It's not some hard-working coder making a character who looks too much like Wolverine. It is theft. By all accounts they were convicted of this, and as near as I can find that conviction stands.

So you might want to take a deep breath and brush up on the facts of this actual case before suggesting someone else is unaware of the law.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 5:32PM Space Cobra said

@Borick

To add to Buhallin, even though we are not talking about IP, Disney (and others) strengthened such IP laws awhile back, giving rights to images and characters 25 more years in addition to the "lifetime of the creator and 20 years afterward" that was already in effect.

Legally, IP thefts can and are prosecuted, but as Buhallin states, this is not an IP issue.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:05PM Vandal said

Thank you for clarifying that prison sentences were part of the court case. I have seen people on TERA threads claiming that no prison sentences were served. This article will help to get those people's facts straight.

TERA may have nice art, combat and an innovative political system but one shouldn't forget MMOs are not just about good game design. They are about providing a continuing service to the customer. How a company behaves and how they conduct business is a good indicator what kind of service one can expect after a MMO's release.

Some claim SWTOR and other MMOs had controversy before their release but SWTOR didn't have court trials, IP lock-outs or mass failures to deliver product. These problems are not silly controversies only seen on forum flame threads. These problems are tangible indications of issues on a fundamental business/management level.

Bluehole will have to show that they can make corporate decisions that don't generate WTF moments before I'll pay much attention to TERA.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:18PM Stall said

@Vandal No prison sentences were served, since the employees received suspended sentences. This article is wrong on many accounts.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014