Posted: Feb 14th 2012 7:52PM (Unverified) said

@Borick

"...it brings out some of the less stable elements who might ruin the experience for the rest of us. "

I would recommend looking in the mirror when you say that line. Targeting a race based on their appearance is pretty low, regardless if its a virtual race or not. I'm also not sure where you get off speaking for the whole of Western culture as many of us all also members of that culture and we have none of the problems appreciating a cute-focused race such as the Elin.

Believe or not, a lot of real women also happen to be petite with "young" features, and many people find them as beautify or more than some 5'9" amazon with a DD rack. A woman isn't worth less just because her chest and height are lacking accordingly to some people. If your problem is with the actions of some people then you should just denounce/report those actions and not the Elin themselves.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:16PM Daveboy said

• Half a heart
Maybe you should have mentioned the game's disgusting pedophiliac overtones. There's an entire race of little girls who dress like strippers, people. Yuck.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:18PM Plastic said

@Daveboy

He did mention them, maybe you should try reading the entire article next time.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:19PM (Unverified) said

@Daveboy

Whats with the hate? Strippers have to pay the bills too :D

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:44PM (Unverified) said

@Daveboy

As the above commenters so kindly pointed out, I did mention them, and I did agree that they're creepy and need to be clothed more.

That being said, can we stop acting like the game is a pedophile training simulator or something? There's more to it than the Elins' unfortunate lack of clothing.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:39PM Valius said

@Daveboy Wow you must have a completely sick and deranged mind to just think like that off the cuff, I feel sorry for you.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:50PM Zyrusticae said

In general, I still think it is unfortunate that there is such a strong stigma to this sort of thing that absolutely anyone who actually enjoys this sort of material is immediately labelled as wrong-headed or, well, much, much worse.

Look, dudes, it's fantasy! No matter how distasteful it might be, it's still fantasy. Why can't people let it be?

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 10:30AM Utakata said

@Daveboy

For a more indepth analyses and discussion of this subject, got to:

...in the meantime, try not to thread derail. Thnx.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 11:03AM Utakata said

@Utakata

Edit: I have to somwhat retract this stance a bit...this this subject is being brought up a million times during this entire thread. For which most of my posts preceding having been adding to it. My apologies for this. /sigh

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:17PM Plastic said

Very nice impression piece. Regarding health regen, you do realize you are supposed to use camps to more quickly replenish your HP, right? You can throw a camp down just about any where, and it's a great facilitator of social interaction as other players will often hang out to heal, and all buffs cast at the campfire will be shared among everyone standing in range, regardless of grouping.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:44PM (Unverified) said

@Plastic

Hey, thanks!

I did know about campfires, and used them frequently, but I didn't notice much of a discernible difference in my health regen rate. I thought the only thing that campfires did was raise your max HP/MP and let you use charms? I could be misremembering, but either way, HP regen takes entirely too long.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:40PM Plastic said

@(Unverified)

Maybe someone else can chime in who has a clearer memory of it (health regen wasn't as big of a concern for me since I generally managed to avoid getting hit) but I seem to recall camps at least tripling the rate of regeneration, and I also have a vague recollection of bandages being more effective while at camp, but I could be making that up.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:04PM haneybird said

@Plastic

You remembered correctly. Standing around a campfire raises your natural HP regeneration to be more along the lines of other MMOs.

Also, you can socket gems available in towns that increase the regen of your HP and Mana.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:20PM DarkSonata said

I read the title as "TERA's first byte" ... guess I better get myself to read the article instead of commenting that

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 10:49PM DarkSonata said

@DarkSonata after reading the article and watching a few videos, I'm quite interrested in this MMO

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:24PM justifun said

• Half a heart
I played it but wasn't as impressed as i would have hoped, so if anyone wants to buy my standard edition pre-order (digital download) please let me know. Or a trade for a firefall beta :)

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:29PM Stall said

@justifun File a ticket with En Masse's support team. They'll hook you up with a refund. Everyone on the forums says that they're super fast and super nice.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:31PM Azzura said

Rooting wasnt a huge issue for me as a warrior - I just took the blows or moved to the side if I couldnt hit dodge. I would like to see casting on the run though for casters....having to stop to cast seemed wrong.

Health wasnt too much of an issue if you didnt get hit silly! It does recharge slowly. Potions bandaids and campfires are handy then. And I noticed mobs dropping health and mana regen balls randomly now and then. I found the starter zone a bit too easy but it did pick up after leaving that zone.

And don't be such a PRUDE! Elin are cute little animals that are being forced to wear some clothes! Why do Americans dwell so much on censoring things compared to other countries? Go watch Misfits and compare to our TV shows. Don't look up their skirts if it bothers you!

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:44PM Lenn said

@Azzura "Elin are cute little animals"

The MALES are cute little animals. What's with all the beast races in Asian games having beast-looking males but human females with just some animal ears and a tail stapled on? Forget about the skimpy outfits. I want to know what's up with THAT.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 5:44PM kgptzac said

@Azzura

Having to stop for casting spells and animation locks for actions seem to be an usual implementation of the action-y combat system... of course it should have done so for balance and technical reasons. I hope it doesn't hinder the gameplay much since most other games do it too.

The Game Archaeologist: World War II Online