Posted: Feb 14th 2012 7:07PM The Grand Nagus said

These companies are all about the numbers. Regardless of how much people complain on the forums, the fact remains that the majority of the playerbase doesnt post on the forums. So if the company makes a ton of money off these, then the numbers say that people like them regardless of what the forums say. I'm not saying I like it, but thats just how it works. And these companies wouldnt be doing this if it wasnt financially successful.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 7:25PM smartstep said

@The Grand Nagus

Yeah.

"Honey moon" peroid of f2p / freemium games that was in west when cash shop-s were "lite" versions of cash shop-s from Asian games are coming to an end.

Players will see more of "lottery" type and "advantage" type of cash shop things ,cause that is what sells best.

Enjoy suckers!

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 8:00PM Saker said

@smartstep Pay-ta-win, yup I agree. Unfortunate...

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 8:28PM Deliverator said

@Saker
yep - it's the only possible path F2P can take. I don't know in what world people are living when they think companies can restrain themselves. There are a million kids out there with their parent's credit cards begging to be taken advantage of.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 8:30PM Deliverator said

@Deliverator
and another million just out and out moron adults.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:02PM Saker said

@Deliverator I agree, the idea of companies ever restraining themselves in any way in a liassez-faire system is a laugh, greed, endless greed like cancer is all they know. That p.o.s World of tanks and the scum bag company that makes it is a prime example, every single "design" decision seems to be purely $ pay-to-win (not that it's a real MMO, but it's followed on MMO sites).

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 3:45AM jslim419 said

@Saker

shame on them for wanting to make profits. everyone knows that a real businesses profits should be just enough to keep it afloat. greedy sob's... it's definitely not enough that they give the core of their game away for absolutely nothing.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 8:02PM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
And in other news.... EQ2's lead developer decided to go to the bathroom; players respond with Rage.

DAoC's developer stepped out for a smoke....players responds with Rage

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:49PM UnSub said

@Dunraven id Software releases Rage; players respond with rage.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 8:56PM Utakata said

Other than likely killing the spirit of the game that once was for good...

...I won't touch those with a 10 meter poll. Rather spend it on unique costume sets or power sets which the latter I am saving up for via my subscription. Plus that's more guaranteed a bang for my buck, because I know what I am purchasing...unlike those super packs.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 5:36AM smartstep said

@Utakata

Does not really matter for devs / publisher.
They know not everyone will buy those packs.

You still play game and spend money on subsciption / other cash shop things. That is what matter to them.

As long as company can increase their cash shop revenue without losing too much players they will do it.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 6:37PM Utakata said

@smartstep

Oddly ...I suspect this is what Blizz thought when they introduced cash shop pets and mounts. Yet a year later they are bleeding subscriptions, the thing that's their bread and butter. You see...the players who paying for the silly things will likely be the only ones left playing the game. Since they likely the have the moral scruples of a Ferengi stock broker and don't care unless they are given an advantage...until they get bored and go somewhere else. Which doesn't end up helping Paragon Studios bottom line in the long term. /shrug

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:54PM UnSub said

NCsoft's Q4 figures were released today. The move to F2P last year saw a 22% jump in CoH/V's revenue, which is good, but it isn't the 500% / 1000% increase claimed by some other companies.

Paragon Studios has exactly one title, and that title has seen declining revenue for a long time now. These kind of boxes might be seen as greedy (and I'm personally not interested in them) but the reality is that if PS can't get CoH/V's revenue up, they aren't going to be hanging around to make CoH/V 2.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 8:26AM DancingCow said

@UnSub

That's because are freemium conversions like DDO, LOTRO, AOC were all very poor performers. If your profit is non-existent to start with then any increase will look bigger, relatively speaking.

As an old-timer I have to say this news saddens me. They started going off course a few years back IMO and that's why I've stopped returning. Once upon a time this was a generous game. Free updates and the booster packs were unobtrusive little extras.

Now they're dipping into the murky waters of gambling?

On that note, though, it's really up to governments to make this illegal. There have been court rulings deeming digital property to be subject to real-world property law. Governments need to catch up and subject these lotteries to real-world gambling laws - i.e. they have to be illegal for children - which would effectively mean making it illegal in MMOs.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 4:05PM starka1 said

@UnSub

I think UnSub is more correct. From the little searching I did, LOTRO had more paid subscriptions than CoH at its highest. It looked like it had as many as 300k paid subscribers at one time. Not to mention fantasy typically does better than sci-fi and it was a known IP whereas CoH is a niche genre with an unknown IP. Though, when it comes to DDO, yes, that game had nowhere to go but up.

I also found this little blurb.

"She[Kate Paiz] also said that the game[LOTRO] had attracted over a million new registrations and a 400 percent increase in active players."

If CoH had those kind of numbers they would be bragging about it. They aren't. My opinion is that they did not go f2p soon enough.

With all that negativity said, I still hope they stay in business for a lonnng time since it is still my main MMO of choice and I have so much invested in my characters.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 4:20PM starka1 said

@starka1

fyi, that 300k was for 2009. Here is what I found for 2010 from a site called brighthub.

Lord of the Rings Online – 210,000 (mid 2010)
City of Heroes/Villains - 125,000 (2009)

A little over 200k was the best CoH ever hit so...yeah, 22% increase is nothing to crow about and they haven't. It is better than the alternative though.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:56PM (Unverified) said

The rage is really quite muted. Having been through this with Star Trek's Winter and now the Cardassian lock boxes, City of Heroes' grab bag isn't as harsh. Aside from being cheaper, the only items not available without a purchase is the costume set in the screenshots and the rare black wolf companion pet. The items that help combat, the archetype enhancers, can be bought with merits from instanced task forces for f2p people and from incarnate merits for subscribers.

I don't plan on buying these too -- I was burned on the holiday boxes in STO pretty bad and now twice shy -- but it's not all pay-to-win.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 11:29PM Ceridith said

@(Unverified)

"it's not so bad, at least it's not as bad as that other game..."

Give it a few months and it will be. People were praising LOTRO for doing F2P right... then Turbine added lock box gambling, and started selling statted equipment as "convenience" items.

F2P will always lead to invasive RMT, because companies will always keep pushing to make more profit.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 12:52AM Saker said

@Ceridith What you get with laissez-faire, the cult of infinite greed.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 12:45AM El Furioso said

The costume set contained in the Super Packs (Elemental Order) is pretty gorgeous, but when trying out the Packs on the Test server, it seemed to take at least 10 packs and sometimes as many as 30 packs to get the full costume set. Although I ended up with over 1000 award merits as part of those packs as well, that's a huge investment for a "grab bag" feature.