Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:29PM Yukon Sam said

At very first glance, this didn't look like the type of game I'd ever be interested in: too cartoony, too arcady.

But the more I read, the more it sounds like the type of innovation and community-oriented design missing from most recent MMO releases. I'm increasingly interested to see where they take this title.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 8:55PM AlienFanatic said

This is the game that I'm watching with bated breath. While I'll gladly pick up GW2, I can't wait for a space MMO that ISN'T Star Wars but has some of the feeling of WOW's art style.

Hope it all turns out.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 9:47PM Utakata said

I wish these devs ran Blizz. Just saying.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 10:04PM DarkWalker said

Interestingly enough, my interest mostly died out when I learned about the paths. I don't want to be locked out of part of the content if I'm not in a group that contains characters from all paths. And I definitely don't want to be stuck with a single path for the whole of my character's life.

I might give this game a second look if/when I get bored with both GW2 and TSW.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 4:41AM StClair said

@DarkWalker
Yes, we have established that you want to do EVERYTHING with just one character, and never have to roll an alt to experience the rest of the game. That's not how most games work. I do not consider this a flaw, but a design decision.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 9:13AM DarkWalker said

@StClair

Never said it's a flaw. As you said, it's a design decision.

The Path system - and how it is used to prevent each character from doing two thirds of the optional solo content if he is by himself - is my only large issue with this game. Without it, I would be looking towards WildStar. With the Path system used as an artificial restriction on what players can do, though, I will only look back to WildStar if I lack other options.

It's as much an issue with the game system as with the philosophy behind it, BTW. If the devs think imposing artificial restrictions on the player like that is good for the game, what is there to prevent them from restricting the players ever more in the name of "fun"? The system by itself might not be such a big deal, but I don't really trust developers that try to restrict players that way.

Regarding alts: I'm an alt-holic by necessity, not by choice. I want to do most things the game has to offer, and will create enough alts to do that. But, on the other hand, the lower the number of alts I need to achieve this objective - and the less grind I'm forced to repeat due to it - the happier I am with the game.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 12:28PM StClair said

"On the other hand, there are enough options out there that allow me to play the way I want that I don't need to look for games that don't please me for my fun."

Then why bother commenting on this one?

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:42PM Daemodand said

Shut up and launch the game, Carbine!