Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:22PM (Unverified) said

@Derekisazombie

The Elin were not really modified a lot for our market, as they weren't overtly sexual to begin with. They did add some belly coverings and spats to a few outfits (of debatable quality...) but luckily that was it. They really are just a cute little race that a lot of people found adorable. Of course this being the internet, the more somebody likes something, the more likely it is to be trolled/griefed/complained about. Their petite frame, especially when compared to the other races in game, and their anime eye proportions just made them a nice target for those trolls/griefers/complainers.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:46PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
I feel like I can sympathize with the Elin to a certain degree (however much one can sympathize with a fictional race in a fantasy game setting). Being a petite woman with softer facial features often gets me a lot of flack since others tend to underestimate my age by more than a few years. As a result, some people feel the need to unnecessarily shelter me, and it's rare for an individual to take me seriously from the start. I feel like something similar happened to the Elin; they're thousands of years old with a forever youthful appearance, but the general populace of the Western world is hardly willing to take the time to understand because they're too busy crying "loli!". I really wish that people would not automatically equate physical appearance to maturity or age, but I'm not entirely optimistic about that happening any time soon. The common perception is that if someone looks like a child, they automatically are a child and must be kept away from the "evils" of the "adult world".

The censoring of the armor disappointed me for a few reasons. The first being an obvious over-reaction from a historically Puritanical society (to some, that may not be a bad thing, but I view it as restrictive. On another note, does anyone know if the Elins of Europe had certain armors censored like NA TERA?), and the second being the low quality of the work. Slapping on a pair of shiny spandex shorts and awkward stomach covers seemed to be the mantra of the day. I am the kind of person who can enjoy armor in varying degrees of style and skin revelation for either gender, as long as the artwork is nice; to be more accurate, I prefer that a game's armor come in varying styles such as those to keep things more interesting (ex: the uncensored version of the mystic's outfit seen in the video at 0:53 was much more adorable in my eyes than the low-quality patch-up; it's still pretty cute, but something was lost. Alternatively, I thought that all of the berserker outfits from about 6:35 on were exceedingly cute without really showing a lot of skin, yet I'm not sure if they were hit with a censor or not, to be honest). A character might logically wear something more breezy in a warmer climate, but seek out heavy and covering fabrics or furs in a frigid environment. In my opinion, the denial of those various types of armor is a disservice to the Elin race when it's apparently acceptable for a Castanic woman to have a greater disparity in her ratio of bodily figure fullness to armor coverage.

This game is rated M, and I was hoping that things could be handled in a more mature manner, but pressure from both ends of the debate did not allow for that hope to become a reality. TERA is on my list of games that I'm interested in, and I'm more tempted than ever to pre-order after all of the good things I've been hearing. If I do play, I think I'll make an Elin tank and turn the tables in regards to this business of who's protecting who. ;P

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 10:04PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

The whole reasoning and method they chose to go for the censoring really upset me too. If they felt that the original outfits were "lacking" then they should have just added more outfits (Gothic Lotlita dresses, skirts, shorts whatever...), that way the originals would be displaced with better alternatives rather just arbitrarily replaced. That and a girl's height and bust size is not the end all be all measure of her maturity as a person. I cared for a petite 5'1" girl in the past and what she lacked in height she more than made up for in balls of steel (figuratively of course :)

Also for some reason in the parts of the west especially, there is a big issue with appreciating cuteness. Sexiness is no problem and is generally encouraged, but cuteness is viewed unfavorably? Always felt that is kinda odd and disappointing in of itself.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:23PM Deadalon said

The game looks absolutly fantastic. But doubt that is enough for me.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 6:11PM Crapplebag said

I'm interested. Love the Korean fantasy art style but the whole "control the camera with the mouse and press F to go into targeting mode" kinda turns me off. Anyone playing and enjoying this with a controller?

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 6:58PM blueimpact said

@Crapplebag

You don't press F to go into targeting mode. You can move around with your keyboard, or you can control your direction with the mouse as you move.

I never had to press F aside from talking to NPCs or if I wanted to...not move around for some reason. You move around, you aim with your mouse while moving or standing still. Pretty simple.

Same thing with my Chillstream controller.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:16PM Crapplebag said

@blueimpact Cool thanks for clearing that up. I totally misread the part about using F to go into targeting mode.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 11:30PM Barinthos said

I definitely has my reservations about this game. But I also had high hopes for a game that took more skill and participation than target > click button > wait for face to melt/break/heal gameplay.

I pre-ordered the boxed CE of the game because of the videos and comments regarding the game gave me enough confidence to think it was money well spent. And I wanted to get into the beta ASAP. And man...It sure as hell was the best money on an MMO i've spent in a damn long time.

The combat is satisfying, responsive and fun. The attacks and skills feel/look meaty and definitely appear to have weight behind them when they land. The movement is more accurate and responsive than I thought it would be, making it fun and fast paced(more so than any other MMO i've played anyway). So far I've tried a Warrior and Lancer. And even though I'm getting burned out from tanking (thanks WoW), being a Lancer is fan-freaking-tastic. I made a badass looking Aman to go with the "You shall not pass!" mentality of a tank, and it sure fits nicely.

The graphics, even this early in the beta (and supposedly the highest currently is somewhere in the "medium range" normally) the game looks stunning. The locales, scenery, mobs, buildings, spell effects, armor, weapons and just plain everything is total eye candy. And after they release the HD textures which are apparently 7GB+ themselves, the game is going to look even more stunning.

There are a few things here and there that should be addressed if they really want to cater to the western, semi-lazy mentality. More vendors/merchants in quest hubs. It's very easy to fill up your bags within 30 minutes of mob farming and questing, forcing you to either leave loot on the ground or destroy what you have in your bag.

Anyway, this will be a huge wall-o-text if I don't stop now. If you have money to spare, the luck of the devil, a good friend or are looking for a fun new MMO, I highly recommend this. After being burned by Aion, DCUO, SWTOR(just wasn't feeling it) and FFXIV I almost gave up looking for an MMO that would capture me as easily as WoW did back in the day. Well...TERA, where've you been all my life?

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 11:31PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
they de-sexualized the elin's if you ever watch Korean character created you can pretty much see full crotch in some of the costumes.

I am disappoint.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 2:15AM Nhoj1983 said

I found myself having a hard time going back to my normal mmo after playing this.. at first I was underwhelmed but after getting some skills well the game is fun. I think it's too bad the haters have the ears of so many. It's worth a look at least. An unbiased look.(as hard if not impossible as that is to find)

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 10:07AM Rialle said

The game looks very pretty, but I'm always skeptical of Korean MMOs. This is in my "wait and see" folder for now.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 1:27PM TeraFan said

Controversial my behind. Anime is NOTHING new in America. It is a 4.2 Million Industry alone.

Elin fans and players were HATED on the forums. Even the ones simply asking for better quality changes for the race. Elin has been given the WORST treatment throughout the whole game because of the idioticness of Brian Knox and his association of video-game characters to real-life people.

This is what elin players are stuck with and en-masse REFUSES to give them their money worth in fixing it or making it better:

En-Masse is an asshole, and these stupid article writers better write two sides of the story, not the "controversial oh elin must be a little girl because brian knox says so!" crap.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 1:45PM TeraFan said

For a WHOLE year these players have been asking about the changes when En-Masse was ignoring the situation and only said that the censorship were final and threatened to ban anyone on the old forums. This character was completely yanked out during pre-beta testing.

En-Masse closed threads, polls,and discussions about elin on the forums. They also encouraged players to report the threads to the mods so they could be closed faster.

And En-Masse/Brian Knox considers their perma-mess "art" at the bottom of the page:

I have never been so glad to cancel my pre-order and subscription from a company that is so inflexible they rather have trolls and idots flame people who were simply asking for better-looking changes that fit in with the rest of the game.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM