Posted: Feb 13th 2012 1:27PM (Unverified) said

Have they changed the crafting significantly from the Korean version? It was afflicted with god awful RNG for success rates. Imagine working on getting the mats for 2 weeks to upgrade a weapon and actually making it worse after spending all those resources. If that crafting is still in there, I will never touch this game. RNG is the worst thing to be introduced in RPG video games. I understand it is a holdover to some degree from table top gaming, but when they rig it to be such an unforgiving system to force you to play the game longer to get what you want, that isn't fun. It's penalizing your playerbase just for playing the game.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 2:59AM Cyroselle said

@(Unverified) I hated crafting in Aion. If it's anything like that, I will be sorely put-out.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 1:37PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
I'm sorry, but the Elin are one of the many korean aspects of this game that just turn me off. I never played Aion, but i played FFXI for years before i knew better. This game is going to be grindy. When a kill quests gives you credit for 1-3 out of a group of 11, there is a problem. The mount system in the game is terrible. Yes, you can mount while moving, but you can't do ANYTHING on a mount other then accept and turn in quests and use vendors. If you try to drink, equip, attack, or anything of the sort, you have to manually dismount.

They claim to have spent this time westernizing this game, but i'm willing to bet all they dis was translate the game, do the mediocre to TERRIBLY campy VO, and change the names of the quests to me western pop culture references. There is a incredibly annoying and slightly creepy jiggle effect to most female models. Now, i'm no prude, but it's gross to me that i talk to a female quest giver, and even if all she is doing is breathing, her breasts sway with the breeze. Asian ideals of beauty are just creepy. And then i hear these Elin are the most popular race in korea because in pvp they have the smallest hit box? Sure.... that's exactly why the Elin are the most played by the koreans...

I tried liking this game, i really did. But i just can't see enjoying tanking in a game where the aim/combat system favors ranged and aoe over regular melee. It was annoying as hell to be a Lancer (tank) and learn that i will never get any sort of AOE, and that all of my abilities pretty much require the mobs to not be standing still in front of me or i miss.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 1:50PM Saerain said

@(Unverified) I can understand the overly-animated breasts being annoying or funny, but ‘creepy’? Do you have a fear of Jell-O?

‘Asian ideals of beauty’? Now I'm lost. They're practically identical to the ideals of beauty anywhere else.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 1:59PM NeverDeath said

@(Unverified)

... You will never get any sort of AoE? As a Lancer? LOL. Did you even make it to level 6? Not only does your basic attack deal line-damage to enemies both in front of and behind your target (based on positioning), but your shield combo is a 2-step circular PBAoE, and those are just beginning attacks. As far as not liking the style of the game, I guess we couldn't disagree more, which is fine - style is pretty much entirely subjective, there's no right or wrong answer.

As far as I can tell, the hitboxes are normalized, and I had absolutely no problem in duels against Elin. The only "boob physics" I noticed were with the expansion/contraction of female chests when they breathed, which didn't strike me as sexually-charged, so much as anatomically logical. I felt that the game was much less sexually-ridiculous than people have been claiming all along, maybe this is different from the Korean client, but whatever it is, it's fine with me. It doesn't let you unequip down to your skivvies, and in terms of revealing armor it's really not any worse than a lot of games, it's just that it looks better while doing it thanks to the U3.5 engine. My wife loves the Elin, thinks they're extremely cute and is now - after playing the CBT - torn with absolutely no idea of what race to play at launch.

I've played some MMOs that originated in Asia, and this was definitely the best westernization I've encountered thus far. Aside from the art-style which is like a fusion of East-meets-West, it didn't even cross my mind while playing that the game was originally made in Korea, because it was so smooth and everything made sense. No game is for everyone, or there would be one game that everyone played - but I think some of your claims are exaggerated/bogus.

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 3:05AM Cyroselle said

@NeverDeath They did normalize the hitboxes for the Elin. Originally they had smaller hit boxes, and this fact was indeed exploited, but that was changed.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 2:00PM (Unverified) said

It amuses me how Koreans have this thing with high heels on female characters. Even more amusing when the 'high heels' of the Aman female is a claw coming out of the bottom of their foot.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 2:12PM Jaleil said

Elin's are small so they're probably the best healing race for PvP since they will be harder to target.

Elin thighs are so big though, reminds me of those old Elf races I've seen in other MMO's. Like look at the archer class in Dragon Nest for example.... I have a feeling Elin's are much older then they look.

Getting +12 gear is suppose to hard and should take along time to get though, in the end it's worth it if a +12 item is almost two times better then a +8 item.

one reason why I hated wow was the gear was too easy to get, and when you get them, it doesn't feel like a reward because everyone has the same gear in the end.

but playing a F2P MMO with an item shop is even worse, since everyone who spends hundreds of dollars on a game will have max enhanced items with no real effort.
but then again the best geared in Tera I bet are going to be those who play the broker.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 2:43PM (Unverified) said

@Jaleil Elin lorewise ARE older than they look. By thousands of years.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 2:15PM pbwilliams said

Do all the character sway like they are drunk all the time, or is that just during character creation?

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:53PM Protoavis said

@pbwilliams

I dunno, but that was bugging me too in the video

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:49PM entropyboy said

@pbwilliams
no, that is specific to the Class selection screen.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 2:19PM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
This game just doesn't do it for me. The character creation is very robust all the different classes seem neat but then you jump in and its the same kill this pile of guys then kill this pile of guys we see in all MMO's. I think I was lvl 8 and still only had a single sword swing move too. Just didn't hook me quick enough to keep me interested in playing any longer. Maybe it is just MMO's in general but they all have gotten pretty stale.

I then jumped into Kingdoms of Amalur ( single player rpg) and immediately was having a blast. Same kill quests same action oriented combat but it was fun right from the get go. So maybe its just the combat system doesn't dangle enough interesting moves quick enough in TERRA and maybe it could use some more compelling quests and some voice overs is why this game feels stale.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 2:43PM Joshinu said

I had my wife make a character for me (she loves character creation, probably a bit too much) and ended up playing a high elf female warrior. For those that don't like the oversized weapons, a warrior or caster is probably more suited for you. As for the art style, I like it, my wife likes it and even the armor. Yes it's over sexualized, yes it's impractical to fight and flip around wearing high heels, yes it's a bit odd having your character riding a horse side saddle yet flipping and hopping around tearing stuff up, but that's the way it is. I like it, and not in a creepy way, it's just different. It's a fantasy world where this is the norm. The suspension of disbelief is working overtime in TERA but if you let go of that it's a really fun game with it's own art style. The game is rated M appropriately since it is hyper sexualized and I'm fine with that (not just for the female characters either).

In essence the game isn't going to live or die from the art style, but rather the gameplay. What I found was that the combat was really fun, the most fun I've had in a while. It's very similar to DCUO but it doesn't have as harsh a resource restriction as DCUO does and doesn't use a laundry list of left/right click combos as long as your arm to remember. I think the combat alone makes this game worth playing. The quests can be fun at times but also very derivative at others. And that I think is it's biggest flaw.

The graphics in this game are gorgeous (character model debate aside). The architecture and terrain and objects in the world and armor sets have so much detail in them. Leather armor has visible stitching, the relief work in the leather makes it more realistic, weapon details are amazing and the texture work all over is just fantastic. I hear that they didn't have the actual HD textures in this beta version but I may be wrong about that. The first time I rode a pegasus to the main city I just wanted to ride back and forth all day. Some of the animations are a bit ridiculous, like successfully gathering something on my character resulted in her jiggling in the chest region a bit as she raised her hand in the air saying "Yes!" in a high pitched voice, though if your chest was that big it probably would do the same thing. The voice acting is very much "asian anime voice acting" but if you are playing this game, you are probably a fan of anime or other asian games and it doesn't bother you.

I haven't had a chance to run the first true instance since it's a level 20 instance and I only got to level 16 this weekend, but I saw plenty of people looking to run it and heard a lot of good things in chat (minus the obvious trolls) about the game at that point. Fighting as a warrior was fast, fluid and fun. Everything chained together nicely and the simple addition of the dodging really made things much more interesting. The only thing I wish was different was the ability to attack while jumping/falling and when you fall down from a slightly high place your character has to recover from it rather than maybe taking a bit of damage as you go.

All in all though I think this is a solid game, albeit very stylized. If you aren't a fan of the graphics and can't get over it, that's your choice. As for me, I actually kinda like it and the gameplay is more than enough to keep me excited for the next beta weekend. Probably going to start up a lancer or a slayer next.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 3:01PM blueimpact said

Phantasy Star Online with a much more open world. To call this "yet another Korean MMO" is just another example of people with their heads in the sand. About as far from the standard model as you can get without a paradigm shift.

If you want to talk about repetitive, look at the argument itself.

But really, no. This isn't a "yet another". It's maybe part two or three, if we want to count Phantasy Star Universe.

I don't.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 3:12PM Mtor said

• Half a heart
@blueimpact I literally ran into an invisible wall after about 20 seconds of being in the starter zone. I tried to jump off a cliff and land in the water below but it wasn't possible. I wouldn't associate the term "open-world" with Tera.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:53PM myr said

@Mtor
It's much more open world than PSO was. OP didn't say anything about it being completely free-roam, they were just making a reference to it not being instanced to hell.

I've yet to play an MMO that didn't have mountain ranges that didn't make any sense whatsoever blocking your path, anyway.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:57PM Mtor said

• 1 heart
@myr Except it is instanced to hell. The zones are separated into different instances that you can switch between. That fact combined with the invisible walls kinda kills any talk of this being an open-world game. Just sayin.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 6:56PM blueimpact said

@Mtor

It's open world. You're thinking "sandbox".

As compared to a game utilizing a lobby system.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:03PM Derekisazombie said

I played the closed beta and loved it. Leveled up to their closed beta cap.

The Elin race is just a bunch of cute little people in our version. Nothing sexual about them. They have been modified a lot for our market.

Also its not a grindy game. It feels like it's going to be and then you start fighting world bosses and doing dungeons that are very different than the normal systems you run into in most MMOs.

I had a blast! and this is from someone who plays Monster Hunter most of the time. It was amazing!

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014