Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:20PM malaclypse said

• 1 heart
Wait...are you telling me it's been out for a year and they had no story based content WHATSOEVER? Seriously? I've totally been meaning to get around to checking this out now that it's free to play. (when i'm not talking smack to my friend with the lifetime membership). I think i can comfortably skip that entirely now and not lose any sleep.
So what the hell have people been doing for the last year, other than admiring each others phasers?

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:32PM TerilynnS said

@malaclypse Wait - maybe I misunderstood you. This game has been out for 2 years, but this is the first release of STORY based playable missions since March 2011. So - there's plenty to be done if you haven't played this game yet... Sorry if I didn't grasp your question at first.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:21PM (Unverified) said

@malaclypse

STO actually has a fair amount of story. This is simply the latest installment after a too-long gap (since early 2011 I believe).

Also, why the smack talk to your lifetime subscription friends? I have lifetime subs to several ftp games (STO, LotRO, CO) and have never regretted the purchase. Sure, I *could* play all those games for free, but this way I get all the bells and whistles of the "gold" plan (or whatever it is called) without paying another dime. I would usually pay for those anyway, so to me its a win-win: I get all the "stuff" I paid for, and its f2p for other players so my favorite games are ensured a steady stream of players.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:29PM TerilynnS said

Kvetching in the forum and doing dailies in the game. :)

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:30PM Joaquin Crowe said

One thing I liked was that obtaining the kanar was not just "go to NPC X" as there are several people you can go to, but only one in a given mission will give you the drink. That randomization was a good touch. And two of the options gives you some good background info on the whole ds9 thing if you didn't watch the show (like myself -- I preferred to watch B5).

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:33PM TerilynnS said

@Joaquin Crowe Very fun, wasn't that? I didn't realize that you could get different result and back story until I ran the mission a second time and tripped over the Bajoran monk who was offended I asked about the kanar. I really enjoyed that.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 4:45PM PoisonFox said

The DOff hookup is standalone, I always got to it prior to getting to the great stem-bolt trade. Also, the KDF uses the Gorn for the DOff stuff (with KDF themed DOff missions instead of the ship-fixing Fed ones) and he doesn't even talk about stembolts. :)

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:03PM StClair said

I enjoyed the mission quite a bit, despite - heads up for Engineer captains - most of my kit abilities being locked out during the 'escape' portion. Next time I'll use a different kit.

With regard to the title of this article, though, I doubt that any FE mission could live up to the expectations created by most of a year of no new story content, and a warning that after this series, we'll have to wait six months or so for the next.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:17PM (Unverified) said

Loved it. I think it more than lived up to my high expectations. Can't wait for more.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:25PM Amlin said

Actually the space battle with the Dominion fleet isn't impossible, you can do it without much trouble even against the dreadnought. But I know you're a ground gal and I'm a space gal so I forgive you. ;)

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:35PM TerilynnS said

@Amlin

*gigglesnort* Yeah, I blowed up a lot.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:59PM Faith said

Why is an Admiral taking orders from a Commander and a Captain? These are the little un-Trek like things this game has always been designed with that always turned me off to it.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 6:24PM Dunraven said

@Faith Yeah I always loathed and detested the Galaxy full of Admirals.

But still STO has come a long way and is quite fun.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 6:15PM VSpeck said

"The voice-over work was pretty good, but there was a noticeable sound quality differential between many of them."

God no. Just no. It's freakin terrible.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:39PM TerilynnS said

@VSpeck

One, I personally didn't hate them. For so many being amateurs I thought they did great. They don't have the resources other games *cough* TOR *cough* has - and sure, some of it is a bit-dramatic - but a few were GREAT. I like the Andorian Captain - I personally thought he sounded a LOT like Jeffrey Combs. The Gorn was awesome, translator effect and all.

Trust me - I have heard a lot worse and these were by no means close to as bad as the worst I've heard. ;) To each his own!

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:49PM Joaquin Crowe said

@VSpeck Dude, the Gorn was awesome. I've always loved the Gorn since one scared the crap out of me as a kid (yeah, yeah it's a cheesy mask to our SFX jaded eyes now, but back then...).

Posted: Feb 14th 2012 11:35AM Lombardus said

@TerilynnS

I found they were pretty good myself. :)

The Andorian captain was great (could be bias, I'm rolling Andorian), loved the Gorn, the Cardissian annoyed me but to me that was the point of his character (snooty) and so the voice work matched and the Deferi was nice and peaceful (makes me kinda sad that his peeps get Borg stomped every other day in the Deferi defence instances).

All in all, pretty good.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 6:35PM Ocho said

The Ketrecel white was an interesting drop, which definitely hints of a Jem'Hadar BO (as the effects are negative when used by someone other than a Jem'Hadar).

I really enjoyed the mission, though it was a little buggy. Some of the NPCs in cutscenes didn't show, I heard of many people having trouble with the main long cutscene not occuring, etc. So it wasn't without its flaws, but the story was definitely one of the best FE "intro" stories we've seen out of all the FE's. Also, without Bridge Officers, playing the ground mission on anything other than "Normal" was a little tricky, but a higher difficulty making it actually more difficult is Always a good thing.

But you should really just put a big "spoiler" notice before the article... you know... so as not to give it away TOO much. One of the best things about STO and Star Trek in general is, of course, the story. :)

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 7:40PM TerilynnS said

@Ocho HI OCHO... Uhm love - I did. It's the very first sentence of my article. ;)

However - I'm beginning to wonder - do I need to worry about my Tribbles eating the ketracel white? Cuz that would totally suck to have addicted druggy tribbles.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 8:03PM (Unverified) said

@TerilynnS maybe I'm cruel, but I intentionally fed my tribbles some ketrecel-white to see if they would breed some crack-baby furballs (for SCIENCE!). The result was as follows: Yes the tribbles will eat your ketrecel, but no new tribble is bred from it.