Posted: Feb 13th 2012 1:11PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
Speaking of semantics, see my comment above.

Damage, support, and control -are- different from having dedicated tanking, healing, and DPS classes. The first major difference is that no class is confined to a given role, nor do they have to spec into that one role specifically to be able to do it at all. The second is that "support" and "control" aren't just new words for healing and tanking. Support includes everything that increases the effectiveness of allies, and even straight-up non-magical melee classes have options for that (spreading poison to ally weapons, shouts that increase speed or max health, ect.). Heal-over-time and condition removal is only a small part of it, and the only real direct healing comes from individual characters' self-target-only healing skills. Control includes everything that makes enemies less effective, and includes snares, DOTs, barriers, and the like. If all of that sounds like just traditional "gather all aggro to one character and then heal the damage" tanking and healing under different names to you, I honestly don't know what to say.

At some point, try asking yourself whether or not it's completely ridiculous to assume that everything is a lie. Blind hostility and cynicism are just as shortsighted and uninformed as blind defensiveness.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:24PM Protoavis said

@(Unverified)

I do believe details are something you should look into before commenting given the bits and bobs you've presented as "facts" have been inaccurate at best. Either you're trolling or deeply misinformed.

Posted: Feb 15th 2012 12:00PM c0gnit0 said

@Dunraven Actually sir/ma'am the problem people have with your posting is your attitude. For one, you make statements that are so bold and so confident and even full of ridicule, yet are at the same time false. Don't bother speaking with such confidence if you're going to just say things that are flat out incorrect...do you homework first :). Secondly, your adept skill at leaping in the air and showering an entire group of people with your close-minded blindness and name calling it just disrespectful and distasteful. How you can (with very little support through evidence I might add) say the reason people hate you is because they're all fanboys and are crazed is just...I can't even think of a word for it. Hypocritical? Yeah that sounds good. Your crusade against fanboys might as well start its Anti-Fanboy REALFanboy party. You're so irrational and defensive (as well as offensive) towards these supposed "zealots" (look that up by the way, might help you use the word at the right time seeing as how i have yet to see EVERY GW2 fan act like a zealot) that you yourself are becoming a crazed anti-fan. Are you so cynical that your time devoted to this website and its posts are that you look for GW2 content and wait for someone who is excited for the game to post, then go in and try to piss in their cereal? Do you not have anything in which you enjoy positive feelings and thoughts about? Comeon Dunraven...you mean to tell me that when you get on here, you feel such flaming hatred towards people who like a game that you fight over forums with them? Oh, before you make a comment about how I'm arguing in a forum...I'll admit it. Yes, I am. I make no attempt to hide that people like you anger me and truly scare me as to the people in this world. It's a video game. One you don't seem to care for. The obvious choice in your mind should be "I won't play it or pay any mind to it or its fans." Yet your choice ends up becoming "I don't enjoy this game or what they say. I'm going to go on a smear campaign in the forums trying to tell people they're wrong and that they're crazy fans. Surely someone will listen to me and respect me." It has to be. That's the only explanation as to why you would come into a forum for a game you don't particularly care for and try to insult its fans and get over-defensive when people dislike your comments that contain your flame war content.

I was a fan for GW2 when they announced it years ago and I followed it but then its lack of information kept me from keeping up with it...but, having seen so much more information lately about this game, it fires me up again and I'm truly excited and proud that ArenaNet is devoting so much to their game. It looks incredible! :)

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 5:36PM (Unverified) said

If, say, all the innovation GW2 has promised were falling flat in all of these demos and press-betas, and conventions, then maybe the naysayers would have something to say, but the fact that they're making epic promises, and KEEPING them is what helps GW2 stand out. It's not hype, it's not hope, it's actually happening. Time and again different sources have tried the game and found it amazing, both professionally and merely hopeful players. if a tiny minority of people say they hate it, it's more likely that it just doesnt appeal to them rather than the game actually being bad, and that's ok too. Come hell or high water, I know what i'll be playing.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 5:57PM BorKon said

1st time in my life (23 years of gaming) Im considering collectors edition. I hope there will be one

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 6:28PM Cirocco said

All I know is that I had a blast playing Guild Wars, and it was my first introduction to playing group-based PvP (in fact, up to that point, playing any PvP in an MMO just wasn't my cup of tea, more of a PvE player.) So bring on Guild Wars 2!

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 6:30PM Cirocco said

*in A MMO, that is...

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 7:53PM Monkey D Luffy said

The knock-back animation of the Char' pet is the best part of this video.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 8:10PM Mtor said

• Half a heart
This looks and sounds like every other mmo other there.

I read an interview where a dev said the game will be heavily instanced in certain areas. He was also proud of the fact they introduced the ability for players to jump and swim. I dunno, I just can't see any reason for all the excitiment over this game.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 8:29PM Jaimie said

@Mtor

Erm, the only instancing will be for your personal area in your home city, dungeons, and battlegrounds AFAIK. And the reason jumping has been brought up is because the original Guild Wars did NOT have jumping and actually IS heavily instanced. So a lot of GW fans were curious if GW2 would be different in those aspects - which it is.

They are proud about their swimming system, and rightfully so. They have developed a completely unique play style underwater - no breath bar, your weapons change, your skills change, and the mobs you fight change their tactics as well. Not to mention there will be underwater exploration and entire cities to discover.

You don't see any reason for all the excitement because you obviously don't know much about the game. Judging the entire game by this one video won't tell you much.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 8:34PM Irem said

@Mtor
Are there any games you like?

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 8:44PM Mtor said

• 1 heart
@Irem I like sandbox type games, Archeage and World of Darkness sound cool to me.

The minute I hear a developer talk about instancing, battlegrounds and story, I know their game is probably going to be lame. GW2 sounds like it will be something that we've all seen about a hundred times before.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 8:49PM Mtor said

• 1 heart
@Jaimie Nothing you said in your post has me even remotely interested in this game. No breath bar in underwater combat is something I couldn't care less about if I tried. You have anything else?

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 9:21PM Irem said

@Mtor
If you're aware that the game and its mechanics, features, and style don't interest you in the slightest because they conflict completely with what you want out of a game, why bother to comment on it? At least people who are interested in the same genre have an excuse. This is the equivalent of clicking on Planetside 2 articles just to complain that it's an FPS, or that one person who always feels the need to point out in the comments for Not So Massively that MOBAs aren't MMOs.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 12:35AM Lenn said

@Mtor Hey, you know what you should do? You should totally post below articles about games you have no interest in whatsoever. I think that would be an excellent way to spend your time.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 2:45AM avaloner said

@Irem Whu bother to comment on it? Trolls always comment on games they don't like (as I am sure you know lol), people like Mtor hate on anything and everything. Or another example look at that realbacon guy who hates on Trion/rift, he never adds anything nice or even relavent to a discussion, atleast about Trion.

I guesspeople like that don't see the point in commenting unless its something bad or hateful. I guess its like forums, people who like a game are not normaly the ones rushing to the forums to spew crap at people. Sometimes I wonder why people like them don't get banned.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 5:28PM Protoavis said

@Mtor

I think the jump comments are a bit tongue in cheek (since you couldn't jump in GW1)

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 8:23PM TheJackman said

One thing that I see... this devs not got the $$ in their eyes and are truly trying to tell people to play the game and not buy the amazing release day DLC or the amazing pre order now bonus.... They did talk about the game and it did not end like any mass effect 3 trailer with "Pre order now get this over powered Guy thing".

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 8:32PM Aelon said

@TheJackman

Or a non-combat pet...

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 9:51PM Amlin said

I will never understand why people will always comment on GW2 complaining about how it's being overhyped and that the fans are saying it's the second coming. The only people using those words and terms are the ones complaining about it in the first place.

If anything this game is fairly muted in hype and actual fans are going into it with cautious optimism.