Posted: Feb 11th 2012 2:53PM Seffrid said

"Can players worried about privacy choose to opt out?

Feldon: Absolutely. Players can do this right now by logging into EQII on each of their characters and deselecting "Enable EQ2Players Updates." These characters disappear from the API on the next update. SOE also went the cautious route with viewing alts and chose to go fully opt-in. This means none of your characters shows up as an alt of the others unless you log in each character and set it that way."

Good. I have zero interest in looking my own characters up out of the game and even less interest in other people doing so, or in them knowing other characters on my account.

A decent feature for those who want it, but it is essential that there is a full safeguard for those who do not.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 3:27PM Borick said

@Seffrid Agreed. The fact that they have an opt-out is a bonus.

Hell, I miss the days when we could set ourselves invisible in-game.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 7:50PM Malvious said

• 1 heart
i love it how people always go paranoid, plus this whole "i dont want people to see my chars" i always wonder what people have to hide. Honest people have nothing to hide.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 12:12AM ed511df3 said

@Malvious There are such things as stalkers on the internet. I agree that many of the reasons given for paranoia are usually silly, but stalking is the one thing that will always trump.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 2:41AM (Unverified) said

@Malvious : one specific example is from the WoW Armory. It showed your most recent achievements, including how long you got them - down to hours and minutes if it was within the last day. A lot of people didn't like the idea of people having a way of tracking exactly when they'd been online gaming.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 5:06AM Seffrid said

@Malvious :There's no inherent dishonesty in wanting to protect your privacy.

If I have two different characters there is no legitimate reason why any other player should want or need to know that they are both played by the same person.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 12:36PM Maseno said

So I am rather confused about EQ2. I read earlier this month that it went "completely free to play" so I decided to download it. Get to the character selection screen and 90% of the classes are locked and purchasable. How is that f2p? I mean, I understand why they do this and it is probably a huge money maker for them, but why would I shell out money to get a class that I am not even sure I would enjoy? Makes no sense.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 1:14PM Seffrid said

@Maseno They say that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and in the same sense there is no such thing as "free to play". Either you play a restricted version of the game as a free trial or you pay to access the whole game.

EQ2 adopts one way of imposing such restrictions/permitting such a trial and it's entirely up to you as to what extent if any you pay to unlock restricted parts of the game. You can perfectly well try out the game with an unrestricted class/race character and then pay to unlock the restricted class/race/other features if you want to.

From a practical point of view you won't be able to advance much beyond the mid-levels of the game without spending some money on it one way or another, and nor should you be able to as the game has to be funded somehow and all "free to play" really means is "restricted content until you pay".

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 9:07AM Madallaw said

Just gonna say... that chick is hot... drawing or not. I am not ashamed.

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM