Posted: Feb 11th 2012 8:05AM Kairos said

Fallen Earth under the Mac OS. LOTRO, Rift and Guild Wars under Windows on the same Mac, using BootCamp.

Given how seamlessly (and easily?) Fallen Earth was given a Mac identity, I'm a bit surprised other publishers aren't bothering to do so.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 12:11PM Furdinand said

@Kairos With Boot Camp, why bother?

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 8:14AM Fabius Bile said

we have the best of both worlds
god bless bootcamp

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 8:18AM SgtBaker1234556 said

Never could bother with bootcamp, seemed silly to be running Windows on my Mac so I just got a real gaming PC with Windows instead. Much better gaming experience anyhow.

Mac is still good for coding work, but I play my games on PC.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 10:09AM Tom in VA said

@SgtBaker1234556

^^ This is me.

I love my Mac for EVERYTHING else, but I have a PC for gaming.

Gaming on a Mac is just too much of a hassle, imo (WoW being the one big exception to that rule). If I'm gonna have to reboot (using Boot Camp), I'd sooner just reboot a PC. I've tried LotRO, etc., using Boot Camp versus using a PC, and the Mac/Boot Camp blew chunks compared to the PC. :-)

That said, if Bioware (or anyone else) comes up with a Mac version of their MMOs, I'll give it a shot.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 8:24AM Addfwyn said

When available, yeah. I do have a Boot Camp partition installed and it's not a HUGE hassle to restart to use it, but I prefer not to. Restarting just to play some games isn't usually something I want to do (so the games that require it tend to get played a lot less). I just do most of my actual productive work over on the OSX side of things.

I really appreciate companies that make mac clients, such as for WoW, Eve, or the like. A company taking the risk to do that will usually get me to throw some money their way to at least try the game, if for no other reason than to support more development like that.

Games I've played on Mac side of things: Warhammer, Fallen Earth, WoW, EVE. Still have an active WoW subscription.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 8:41AM Bramen said

My friend has a mac and he always sings it's praises. But I can get a good gaming pc for less and not worry about what games I can play.

Gaming on a Mac is like buying a work truck to race in.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 9:30AM Unshra said

@Bramen Hmm... I think it would like a "work trunk" like that because then it would be able to transform into a "race car" (boot camp, etc) when needed. ;-P

Okay someone go invent that pronto. ^^

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 1:01PM Cyroselle said

@Bramen I always thought it was more like using a non-modified 'Audi TT' as a rally car. :D

The average non-gaming PC is really more of the work truck, practical, inexpensive, does the job.

Retail 'gaming PCs' are like buying say, a Mitsubishi Evo w/ the ground effects package and (largely ornamental) hood cut-outs, and creating your own gaming rig is like a Super Stock race car.

Mac desktops (a dying breed), in my not-so-humble opinion, is like owning a Porsche Cayenne.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 9:57AM Bramen said

The above are also good comparisons.
But...
I used work truck because they are expensive for one, and because they are powerful. Most people say they use a mac to work with.
A gaming PC is more like a Harley Davidson. You buy a case like everyone else's but the customization makes it all yours.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 8:55AM DarkWalker said

Doesn't Wine work for some MMOs on the Mac? At least on the Linux side, I could play quite a few windows-only games, including MMOs, without rebooting. AFAIK, Wine - or some equivalent, like CrossOver - is available on the Mac.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 9:00AM rebelyankee said

Mac here. Actually on my fourth Mac (after a MacBook, MacBook Pro, iMac and now another iMac).
Never any problems gaming (beyond the entry level Macbook, which just didn't have very good graphics capability).

My current iMac has an incredibly good graphics card, allowing me to play AoC and Rift on almost all high settings. I can play less stressful games (WoW and Swtor) completely maxed out and still get anywhere from 20-60 fps.

And I bootcamp any game that won't work on Mac OS. I tried Crossover, but so many games had so many bugs it just wasn't worth it.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 10:16AM Borick said

• Half a heart
I've never given a dime to Apple, and never will. I once thought that Microsoft was the ultimate in corporate evil, but Apple just hadn't had a chance to try their hand at it.

I don't care for walled gardens and I never liked that liver-thieving zombie Jobs.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 11:11AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Borick Cool story bro

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 11:29AM (Unverified) said

@Borick

Yea, but that's true with most corporations after they hit a certain size (looks at Blizzard warily).

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 11:01AM (Unverified) said

I used to play WoW on my Macbook Pro before I got a new Windows desktop. That thing is a heatsink, and I'm glad I don't use it for much anymore. Still, thank goodness for Blizzard implementing a Mac client for their MMO.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 11:06AM (Unverified) said

I've got a Macbook Pro and a Hackintosh/Gaming PC. I've used Wineskin to port a lot of MMOs that I play. It's pretty darn easy, too. Here are some games that run great on my Mac using Wineskin:

-Guild Wars
-LOTRO
-Istaria
-EQ/EQ2
-Rift (still working out some quirks)

Then you've got your official ports - WoW, EVE, Ryzom, etc. I definitely don't feel like I need to boot into Windows for much of anything.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 11:42AM obstinator said

• Half a heart
Gaming on a MAC? Why?

Not a MAC hater here, they do look pretty....the're just not for gaming.

MAC OS is well under 10% of the OS share.

I wouldn't expect much game developer love now or in the future. For better or worse, Windows provides the best platform for gaming at this time.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 11:59AM Jypsy said

I play WoW and Minecraft exclusively on my mac, as well as do pretty much all productivity type work-stuffs.

My PC is reserved for those steam games that won't run on mac and The Old Republic.

No problems at all.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 1:12PM Kairos said

@Furdinand: OK, true enough, BootCamp has made it a lot easier. But it's still not the same as playing an OSX version. For one thing you have to reboot to change operating systems, which means you can't access your other applications when playing in windowed mode; there also almost invariably annoying key mapping problems to resolve.

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014