Posted: Feb 10th 2012 1:29PM Deliverator said

"Also, I'm not entirely convinced that lightning-fast twitch reactions are a prerequisite for playing and enjoying DUST"
Good point Jef. I'm all for the kb\mouse setup though. One question - with console shooters they normally apply some sort of aiming assist - I wonder how that'll will feel after being used to the free control of PC shooters?
Has anyone ever tried to play WASD under that type of aiming assist?

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 2:23PM Lateris said

I think a lot of gamers don't know that regardless of a mouse or a controller on a console, the speed of turning to the left or to the right can be totally controlled by the game(code) itself. It doesn't give any edge if the developers don't want it to give an edge4. Its equal. If that is not edited that its not. Glad you pointed that out!

@ Jeff if you want to give this a go and need an extra gun I know Eve University is going to pursue Dust 514. So am I with ObscuriLateris or the EU

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 6:10PM Jef Reahard said

@Lateris

Yeah I need to check those guys out. I just returned to EVE recently and even though I've got a six-year old character I'm still quite newbish, lol.

Glad to know they'll be in DUST as well.

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 6:26PM Resurge said

@Lateris speed of turning is not the issue. Accuracy/precision is. The ability to put a dot right on someones face and pull the trigger compared to having to nudge a stick left/right until it lines up is a BIG difference. Not sure how that is even debatable. All PS3s can use a keyboard/mouse, therefore no imbalance. I dont see the problem. If it bothers you, buy a keyboard mouse.

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 6:31PM Lateris said

@Resurge Sweet!

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 9:11PM ScottishViking said

@Resurge

You'd think these simple facts would appease the haters and the its-gonna-fail-ers, and yet...

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 12:37AM beavisrocks said

@Resurge It is a problem for me and the reason why I won't get it.
I prefer controllers, that is why I play console shooters, I like sitting on a couch in front of a giant tv with an ergonomic device in my hand, vs. using a keyboard that pretty much gives me carpal tunnel, and a mouse that pretty much requires a desk.
If using my preferred method of control puts me at disadvantage - then sorry I'll go find something else to play.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 3:11AM darkilya said

If I need to connect a keyboard to my PS3, I would rather play on PC, thank you. Juggling mouse on a sofa does not sound exciting at all. What's the point of it being a console game if it needs a PC-like setup? Even technically everyone can do that, that's a huge inconvenience for many. Typically consoles are not installed in a room where it would make a comfortable place for mouse/keyboard. Battlefield and Call of Duty somehow manage to be great games with console controls, why can't CCP do the same?

If mouse/kb will be perceived as requirement, the hassle of installing these will make the game feel inferior to every other console shooter. It surely would not entice 'millions' of BF3/MW3 addicts to switch to DUST.

It just hope it will have enough vehicle action where a gamepad is superior control option.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 11:49AM Deliverator said

@darkilya
"Battlefield and Call of Duty somehow manage to be great games with console controls, why can't CCP do the same?"

I don't share your opinion. I won't play FPS games on a console - to me, they are great games, but only on the PC. Driving games, fighting games... basically anything born in the arcades are fun on the console, but I wouldn't be looking forward to Dust without the kb/mouse.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 2:32PM Xilmar said

I might be wrong, but can't you use a keyboard or mouse on a console anyway?

If this has never been done before, then yeah giving the players this option might be wrong or at least strange. If it's not something new, then it's only fair for CCP to give this option to players.

Maybe it's just a first step towards a pc release, if the gameplay is good.