Posted: Feb 9th 2012 11:57AM Khal said

I used to have a few (2-3) up prior to 2004-2005. It was around then I noticed a change in the community...more pop culture/shock jock and less nerd/community feel.

Since then the very first thing I do when I start a new MMO is go in and shut off the General or World chat. It has no value...to me anyway. I used Party/Group chat, Guild chat and Whispers.

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 12:08PM Traptz said

Trade
Party/raid
Guild
Whisper
Officer

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 12:27PM Seffrid said

I use one public chat channel unless I've disabled it because of jerks, and if the system allows it I have a second channel purely for combat logs (no idea why, I never look at it) and a third one for tells and group chat rather than having them buried among the scrolling dross on the public chat channel. I havent needed a guild channel for some years.

The only chat channel I find remotely worthwhile really is the help channel in Fallen Earth, the rest I can happily do without. The trade channel in WoW was the first to go!

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 1:45PM Sente said

A lot of the community activity goes on in the global chat channels in City of Heroes and I have a couple of those active.

Global chat channels in the game are truly global (i.e. can be accessed from any server), but often are by the topic they represented aiming at a certain topic or group of people - e.g. "Defiant Events EU" for task/strike forces, Incarnate trials, various events or just simply some teaming request - on Defiant server.

Most of the activity is in and the channels I use are community-created channels, not channels provided by the game itself.

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 4:38PM Tom in VA said

The first thing I do on a new toon in SWTOR is create an "All but General" chat tab. The only reason I grit my teeth and occasionally turn on General Chat is to find groups for the heroic/group content. Then I turn it off again ASAP.

I wish more MMOs offered zone-specific LFG channels, in which the "LFG" part was pretty rigorously enforced. If that were true, I'd turn off General forever and never look back.

Better still are MMOs that have such good LFG mechanics that you don't even need to use a chat channel at all. WoW was pretty good about this, SWTOR not so much.

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 8:22PM Xilmar said

Active chat windows, about 2-4 depending on what i'm wasting time with. After playing a while I end up adding a few more chat channels, none global tho.

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 11:40PM Lumin said

As darn many as I need. Although, that's usually limited to guild+team+all chat in most cases. In games with spammy Trade/LFG channels, I keep those on a separate tab so I don't have to stare at them all the time.

With Aion I also had 2 additional chat windows that served as a combat log and an enemy log.

Posted: Feb 11th 2012 7:15PM aktillum said

11 clans
1 city
1 House

So 13 lines of factional communication open most of the time. Then there's public says and tells