Posted: Feb 9th 2012 7:53PM J45neoboy said

Question:

Why did we only see WoW lose 100,000 subscribers this time when previous reports were 300k-800k for the past year?

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 10:35PM potaco said

@J45neoboy

In short: 4.3, MoP announcement, and the Annual Pass (and SWTOR didn't officially release until mid/late December, so anyone that played WoW up til launch was still a Q4 subscriber).

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 7:59PM Gryphmon said

RE: City of Heroes Roman Costume Set.

There is some difference between the Roman costume set you can earn in-game on a character-by-character basis and the one you can buy in the market. I believe the Cupid's Bow and the some of the shields can only be gotten from the store for now. However you can buy them individually.

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 8:03PM Bramen said

You write about games for a living. You must play games in order to write. Paradoxically you must write in order to play games. So which came first the writing or the gaming?

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 1:09AM Flicktion said

We do not play games for a living. We write about the games that we play for a living. Lol?

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 3:22AM FrostPaw said

You get paid to play video games and then write about them.

If you didn't play video games, you would also be fired for having no concept of what to write about.

Also.....I sense bitternes about this, If I was paid for doing something I enjoy, I wouldn't be bitter I'd just smile and nod when everybody ranted at me about it.

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 8:51PM Traptz said

Trust me..nobody here thinks anyone at Massively plays games for a living.

Posted: Feb 9th 2012 9:43PM drunkingamebar said

@Traptz I'm gonna have to agree with this person.

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 9:20AM Equillian said

@Traptz

LOL!!!

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 10:47AM Deliverator said

OK then, no gaming for March or April - writing only. Let me know how the site does without first hand accounts of TSW and Tera's launches. hehe

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 10:50AM (Unverified) said

OH MY GOD! That's me on the left in the picture! :O

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 11:09AM JadoCast said

Eliot are you trolling us? lol In the immortal words of Sheldon Cooper, "I look at you with exhaustion, and ever so slight amusement." :-)

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 11:55AM zuchaka said

only children think you can make money playing video games its just a fantasy no need to make an article answering the questions of idiot children

*yes i know there are gamers that are sponsored not what we are talking about here

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 4:48PM Utakata said

A belated thanks for the clarification to my question, Mr. Lefebvre.

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 12:22PM blackcat7k said

I thought MMOs with EQ mechanics were using a combination lottery/casino system:

Example:

Pick Up Group in a Dungeon

*Item Drops*

Random Drawing - Lottery

*One person wins*

*Gets Item*

Everyone else loses

...and much like the casino, the MMO company is the true winner, because you ponied up cash to play the game and perpetuated its design decisions.

Posted: Feb 13th 2012 1:18PM (Unverified) said

>blazenor asked: Is there a legal reason why MMOs don't have gambling within the game? (Not real gambling, but minigames like slots, poker, etc.)

Sorry to state the obvious, but the true "legal reason" why there's no gambling mini-games is because of the age restriction on real gambling. For the same reason why that movie got an 'R' rating because of some swear words, cigarette and alcohol use - an MMO that is available to 13 year old's cannot put casino-like gambling mini-games into their universes without opening a whole legal "can 'o worms." If video games like GTA can be blamed by the mass media for inflicting harm upon children with violent content... the imagine what would happen to a franchise like WoW or FFXI if parents found out they were getting their children addicted to gambling from an early age.

A game with a "T" rating from the ESRB may have some suggestive themes, a few swear words and/or adult situations... while I may be wrong on this, I believe that if MMO's were to ever develop casino-like mini-games into their content, their ESRB rating would have to be raised due to simulation gambling. WoW will never lose their "T" rating over a slot game.

(( True fact - once upon a time in WoW land, a group of role-players got together and played dice for gold through in-character role-play. Several participants received warnings and/or suspensions due to the fact that gambling (even role-playing gambling, if you're using a trade window to exchange real gold) is/was against the ToS. - I have not played WoW in over a year. ))

Make My MMO: July 6 - July 12, 2014