Posted: Feb 7th 2012 10:27PM Darkmoone said

Hey you guys remember the Spread Needle?, I remember the Japanese groups banned any player using that weapon. Also the only way to trade items was for each person to drop the item on the floor then each player counted down and ran to each other and picked up the item. Good times

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 1:25AM Baby Choo Choo said

@Darkmoone

lol aw man good times. Spread needle was kinda awesome, but I udnerstand why people got pissed at others for using it.

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 8:38AM (Unverified) said

@Darkmoone
I had a spread needle that I bought off a friend. It was easily the best weapon in the game.

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 8:25AM nhat said

I won't call it a "Diablo clone" The game is distinct enough that the differences of gameplay isn't similar to Diablo. It's in the same genre of course.

It's like some people call every MMO a WoW clone. Which some are but some are definitely not.

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 1:10PM Space Cobra said

@nhat

I gotta agree about it not being a diablo-clone; I mean, I do see the similarities, but the differences and, probably most importantly, the non-isometric view and certain unique things easily set it apart.

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 10:08AM mattwo said

Amusing, my main on PSU 360 is a cast hunter, but I later opted for hybridization, mostly hunter+ranger type stuff though, helps to have a gun that's not a pistol...

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 10:22AM mattwo said

Err, you can techically still play PSO on the private server.

I don't know how legal it is however, I know some one is making a PSU PC server too, but they are doing it similar to SWGemu so the legality issues would only really lie in the use of the IP.

But I'm certain sega is already well aware of the PSO server and would have taken it down if they wanted to.

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 10:26AM mattwo said

Also what is a Roguelike? What even is that? Wikipedia was none too helpful because as far as I know Diablo barely falls into like two or three parts of the critera but not all of them...

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 1:20PM Space Cobra said

@mattwo

This may help:

Basically, it is a top down look; you get one area of the dungeon you can see your character; sorta like looking at a Pac-Man game, but it is not fast-paced (but can be). The character/sprite/avatar you control has hit points and stats that can improve as you explore the various rooms of dungeons (also XP to level up). Many Rogue games have an option to exit the dungeon and go back to town to sell the items you find, but items, and other things.

These tended to be very simple games and generally are still simple, but other things can be added into it and still be called "Rogue-like".

Important thing is simple-dungeon maps (can be random-generated), an avatar with stats/hit points, and wandering/static monsters and treasure. IMO, some of the better Rogue-like games have a bit of "survival" mechanic in them, that is, there is little access to an insta-save-game. Basically, once you fill up your inventory, you have to slog back to town through dungeons, with your Hit Points already low and survive the trek back to town (or inversely, see how far you can go into the dungeon and survive/not die). Actually, in a macarbe way, the old-fashioned lack to save your game gives it the "excitement" and "danger" of dying and possibly restarting over, if the game totally kills you and doesn't let you revive (or some similar game mechanic).

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 8:51PM (Unverified) said

Haha, I played the crap out of the PSU demo on Xbox Live. It was a fun game, but the full game required a subscription, which I didn't think the game deserved (if it had no sub, I probably would have gone for it).

I did play it enough to max out like 3-4 characters. However, being a demo with demo servers, they did suffer the occasional server wipe. After my first wipe, I tried making another character again, but it wasn't the same.