Posted: Feb 6th 2012 1:59PM eLdritchZ said

random wiseass comment of the day:

European Swords, which as we all know are the mainstay of Fantasy Weaponry rarely had hilts made of wood... since all good european swords are balanced just slightly above the handguard, the hilts were mostly made of heavier materials like metal plates, wire and horn with a leather wrapping. You can actually make a sword with 0 wood since it isn't even favorable for use in the furnace...

silly americans ;)

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 2:10PM (Unverified) said

woodcutting, because it requires killing something alive, even better when one turns out to be a dryad.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 2:35PM Xilmar said

Get rich or die mining!

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 2:58PM Ceridith said

Chopping down trees annoys Elves, which is a plus, but mining is just more Dwarfy.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 3:13PM Azzura said

Mining is wimpy - whackin a large rock and then carrying around little chunks of ore....

Lumberjacking is the cool thing....cutting down huge trees and dragging around 250+ logs! Now that takes SKILL!

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 3:48PM (Unverified) said

I love mining.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 7:33PM Yukon Sam said

I've done both, and it seems like designers usually put more love into mining.

I'd love to see somebody who knows woodcrafting inside and out design a detailed system based on authentic (or at least believable and consistant) period harvesting and crafting techniques. I've seen systems that are pretty good, but none of them are quite there yet.

Of course, I'd like to see the same done for mining :)

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 7:39PM scfs123 said

I love Woodcutting in games and making staves/bows.
Makes me sad that Mining is almost always the more profitable profession though.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 8:59PM (Unverified) said

You can make hilts and ships out of metal.

As for campfires, I prefer burning the corpses of my fallen enemies that I cut down with my non-wooden sword.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 2:22PM enamelizer said

Lumberjacking! I will never forget how awesome GM 'jacking was in UO when the game was young. I could hit so hard, then again it got nerfed pretty quick.