Posted: Feb 6th 2012 5:29PM Scott Ossington said

If it asks you for a payment option before you can download the game, I am either doing something wrong, which is quite possible, or its not free to play.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 5:35PM jealouspirate said

Does it cost many to play this civilization?

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 5:43PM Ozewa said

@jealouspirate

Should be $20. I think the Greek and Egyptian are the only ones unlocked for non premium play.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 5:52PM InkSix said

Do people play this? I decided to load it up one day and the ones chatting were bots and no one would respond to my shouts.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 5:56PM smartstep said

Normal AoE games are so much better gameplay ,artistic and money-wise...

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 7:05PM SaintV said

Noone does pvp in this game the last time I logged in about month ago. They turned what was once a great pvp game into a carebear money grab.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 7:40PM (Unverified) said

Is there even a place where you can play AoK or AoC like the msnZone?
I think it shut down years ago

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 11:41AM HereticalPenguin said

@(Unverified) Oh man, do I miss MSN Gaming Zone.

I believe Voobly is The AOE2 multiplayer website these days. Unless they fudge their player numbers, there are a lot of people playing the game at that site.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 2:04AM TortoiseCan said

This game is free to play to a point - then you want to buy a civilization for 20 bucks. I bought the greek pack after playing a while. Believe it or not this game has come a long way. It's actually got ranked pvp matches now and the gameplay for PVP is awesome, better than any previous AoE games. I've had some epic battles. Controlling your army is much more hands-on than previous games, and controls a lot more like SC2.

I'm a master level Starcraft 2 player, and I actually prefer the RTS PVP in this game. The only problems this game has is that
A: not enough people PVP - which will hopefully change as more people learn of the game.
B: the early missions are mind numbingly easy, and not skippable.

If you do check this game out, Marathon is the best PVP server , but you can transfer servers on the fly for free anyway so it doesn't matter which you start on.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 3:28AM eLdritchZ said

problem with this game is you cannot play it even remotely competitively if you don't shell out money... if you don't buy a civ you don't get the elite units (which are of course better than everything else) and you can't get purple items for your units...

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 3:39AM TortoiseCan said

@eLdritchZ
That's not necessarily true in terms of PVP. They released champion mode which is basically pvp where both players have access to everything and what do you in the game doesn't impact your units other than cosmetically. So I could be a lvl 40 empire and face a f2p player, and we'd have exactly the same access to the same units, same stats, etc.

However, in order to play this mode in ranked you have to buy a civilization. Otherwise you can only play against other players in private matches that you host in your empire through a colliseum (which are unranked)

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 3:38AM (Unverified) said

This game really isn't a MMO, and MS nickels and dimes you every chance they get. To bad they took some good like AoE and butchered it, my poor child hood.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 4:13AM TortoiseCan said

@(Unverified)
first of all this game is 10x better than previous aoe games. aoe2 (which this was modeled after) has an absolutely ridiculous game engine for competitive play. You can hardly micro your units and there's like 20 different civilizations that are all virtually identical, minus a few that are OP.

You can have your opinion on the PvE aspects of the game, but in terms of a competitive multiplayer RTS , this game blows previous aoe games out of the water. And the PvE aspects, are you complaining that this game has 100x the content than previous games? Or are you complaining that instead of paying 50 bucks out of the gate, you can spend 20 and choose to spend the other 30?

I think a lot of people have misconceptions about this game.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 3:17PM eLdritchZ said

.... so my point is valid and you wasted my time? ^^

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 6:14PM TortoiseCan said

@eLdritchZ

No , you said that as F2P you can't get items to compete in PVP, when in reality there is a PVP system that doesn't use your in-game items and is accessible as a free player.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 11:10AM MaddZ said

I wish Gas Powered Games would get back to work on Kings and Castles. This game looks entertaining, but I want another Chris Taylor game dammit!

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 12:50PM (Unverified) said

Is the Celt civ actually out now or is this just a new video? Seems like Celts have been in a state of "coming soon" for several months already.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 3:30PM Maximum Proxy said

Too late the game already sucks. And as an AoE fan, this is the only one I skipped playing.