Posted: Feb 4th 2012 12:44PM Cassius81 said

I understand your reasoning but I have no idea how you managed to do Isengard for so long and not reach max level! Seriously I'm pretty curious to know how long you spend in game a week. Not trying to insult or anything but I am truly curious.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 1:15PM Lenn said

@Cassius81 He didn't say anything about max level, just the content. It's safe to assume from reading between the lines that he's already max level, but just hasn't finished all the content yet.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 1:39PM Celtar said

@Cassius81

As Lenn pointed out, I'm sure he's capped with his LM. I know I hit the new cap last year and had just gotten to the point "before" you get captured. I've still not finished the Isengard content, sort of burnt out.

Back to the article, this is why I love playing alts and such. Gives you a chance to refresh you love of a game world. Some games have a much higher "replay" value then others. Lotro is one of those games with a good replay value, unlike a certain new one I've been playing and having to sludge/trudge through to play alts (secondary characters). :(

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 12:46PM (Unverified) said

What Kinship were you in on Gladden... was my first server too...

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 1:48PM Oyjord said

LOTRO is the game I keep going back to when I reach max level in other games. It really is a quality MMORPG, and I think Turbine deserves more credit for it than they get.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 2:07PM ScottishViking said

I'm on break from LOTRO right now, but I totally agree with you: there's something great about being able to do something over again, and take your time doing it. This is, I think, distinct from altoholicism -- which is something I also suffer from.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 2:22PM Deliverator said

For me, "leeched of enjoyment" describes LotRO perfectly since the F2P conversion.

I tried the same thing and, not to be a negative Nancy but, I predict you're creating what'll ultimately be about a level 23 orphan. It sounds nice - a fresh start and all - but the grind is everywhere now and you'll hit Bree or the Lone Lands, go a couple of sessions without leveling, see what you're doing, remember everything that's yet to do and you'll dread logging in.

The cash shop almost makes it worse, because every time you're doing something that seems pointless or like it's taking forever you know you could just drop a couple of bucks and speed things up. Making it through a grind is actually an accomplishment.... unless there was a shortcut sitting there the whole time, then the feeling that you're pointlessly wasting time is almost overwhelming. Of course, that's by design.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 3:10PM (Unverified) said

@Deliverator

It is better with friends that will stay at the same level as you or only log in when you are on. Harder to do as a solo minstrel.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 3:32PM Lenn said

@(Unverified) Minstrels have become quite the powerhouses. Great fun to solo.

Posted: Feb 5th 2012 5:52AM Skorgistin said

This is what i done at begining of this year. But i startet a new Account. A F2P Account. This makes all a little harder. No rest-xp not all bags not all traits aviable.

At the moment i have done the whole deeds of the starter regions. Have no Goldcap the north-downs questpack and looking forward to purchase Angmar.

This is a lot of work but its worth in my opinion.

Mfg Skor

Posted: Feb 5th 2012 9:45PM Nerves said

Even though I have 7 Characters (3 at level cap, and 2 at 65), I still love rolling new alts. There's something comforting about it, and somehow, that content never seems to get old to me. Makes me want to roll an alt on another server just for the luls.

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 12:01AM (Unverified) said

I've really burnt out of other recent MMOs and have been looking for something to do. Haven't played LotRO in years, but I still have really fond memories of my time with it. My problem is I don't really understand the F2P model. I was just going to subscribe to a monthly fee, but others tell me I shouldn't do that and the whole model seems a bit unclear on their website. It makes it sound like even with VIP I still have to purchase things through the cash shop, which is a bit off-putting.

Either way I'll probably end up coming back, just because LotRO, to me, is probably the top quality MMO out there. It's a real shame it wasn't ever more popular and that it had to make the switch to F2P.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014