Posted: Feb 4th 2012 6:46PM Raikulxox said

I haven't been participating in FFXI endgame the past months either sadly. I reached the then cap of 85 with my Warrior (or was it 90?) and haven't really played too often since, though I let my subscription for both keep going. The forums aren't painting a good picture for the game either, saying the trials to get weapons to the new endgame are the biggest grinds the game has yet.

XIV on the other hand I've been having a blast. The grind is nothing compared to XI's early days, and I like that I can log in for an hour to get my 4 or 8 leves done. I haven't done any endgame yet (the closest thing was a Thousand Maw run), but I'm enjoying myself more than I ever have in XI.

Posted: Feb 5th 2012 8:45AM Chiren said

@Raikulxox

Yup - played ffxi for years, but endgame weapon grind, aka "Magian Trials" spelled out the end for me.

For those of you who are reading this who don't understand I give you: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Great_Katana_Trials

So for example to get the "Keitonotachi +3" you'll need to:

Do a special move 100 times against a monster that gives xp.
Do a another special move 200 times against a monster that gives xp.
Do yet another special move 300 times against only "bird type" monsters that gives xp.
Do yet another special move 500 times against only "vermin type" monsters that gives xp.
Do yet another special move 300 times as the "finishing blow" against only "beast type" monsters that gives xp.
Do yet another special move 500 times against "amorph type" monsters that gives xp. Oh yes, and for this one it doesn't count unless you do more than 400 points of damage with the move.
And then finally if your brain isn't lobotomized yet, do one more special move 500 times against "vermin type" monsters that gives xp. And yes, it doesn't count unless you do more than 400 points of damage with the move.

Then you get your end-game sword. Congratulations.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 10:28PM (Unverified) said

I'd love to see more perspective, free form or fun pieces about XIV. There's always news about some major development or another in a game as ever-changing as this one but it's rare to hear from a player. I know it's a blast, and it eats up a lot of my free time, but proving to those on the fence at least it's a great game for a certain type of player may go a long way toward reducing some of the gamer rage toward it.

Posted: Feb 5th 2012 4:44AM alzeer said

i understand that ffxiv story is a bit vague and doesn't have clear direction which make it harder to write about.
in ffxi we had clear antagonist each story arc shadowlord>> brothers ...ect
but in ffxiv the beastmen got more active role in the story than their XI's counterparts, the empire will be getting more action soon and others dangers are hinted in the last patch, all in all seems ffxiv will have my story fix until (if ever) ffxi get some attention for SE.
and thanks Eliot for the great articles

Posted: Feb 5th 2012 8:53PM Naru now in 3D said

Nice thoughtful article on your experience writing this column :)

I've read the Mog Log on and off for a few months after discovering late last year that FFXI actually has a lot to offer, and, more recently, discovering that FFXIV is starting to become a great game too.

Have you written about the artists like Akihiko Yoshida and Kazuya Takahashi in the mog log at all?

The concept art behind the cities, armor, and races in FFXI and especially FFXIV seem monumentally important in setting the atmosphere in each game, and has resulted in some unparalleled beauty in both games. Not to mention the art frequently garnishes Lodestone lore and game updates for FFXIV that make reading about the Grand Companies and festival events very interesting and immersive.

Also, I'd love to read about the level 15 dungeons in FFXIV since I only happened upon one for the first time yesterday and they seem fascinating and beautiful, but I can't find much info on the NMs and treasures to be found within. Did you write about those yet?

Betawatch: October 18 - 24, 2014