Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 5:41PM Alluvian EstEndrati said

You know, up until I saw that handy picture I had no idea the leveling path for both sides was so shockingly similar/linear. At least *minor spoiler alert* some of the planets you share with the other side (sometimes with different level ranges) have very, very different stories & progressions.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 7:24PM Joaquin Crowe said

@Alluvian EstEndrati What I found amusing is that it is the same map, but you start at the opposite end of the other faction.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 8:17PM Celtar said

@Alluvian EstEndrati

Having been running up classes on both sides I used to be shocked and then the game got quite tedious leveling the characters. They really did stretch their terminology usage when it came to claiming unique for the classes.

Btw my bigger bitch as a completionist type of player is that once you level the starting worlds which are designed for levels 1-10 that the worlds afterwards are designed for around half that. So for example my trooper by time he hit Alderaan was already level 32. :(

On top of that I actually skipped 4 heroics on Tatooine and the flash points for past two worlds. I was trying to do each heroic and flash point once just to do it. Sadly I can't do that because had I done so I'd have been around 35th by the time I hit Alderaan.

I actually didn't log in for a couple days just because I was so frustrated by this dilemma. They need to either make the worlds 10 level areas and raise the level cap or easier do the easier fix and just turn down experience given. The OCD completionist in my just finds this unacceptable.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 5:45PM Pitt said

Just shows how linear SWTOR is.

And yes i have a lvl 50 with max cybertech and rank 50 pvp and 2 million in the bank, so i have seen alot of the game.

I haven't done the last 2 flashpoints because my friends got so bored with the same ol' crap they quit.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 5:48PM J45neoboy said

People complain about the game being linear but i haven't noticed it. I found Aion, Rift, City of Heroes, Guild Wars and Warhammer to be way more linear then this game.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 7:38PM HitechLolife said

@J45neoboy Yep I agree. Warhammer in particular. While I do see the similarities, you do have options in where to get experience. Unless you're a quest completionist I suppose. At the moment I can level on Voss or return to Hoth now that a few levels have passed and do the bonus questline. That's without breaking things up with a flashpoint, or heroic missions etc.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 5:49PM Miffy said

Yeh they said you'd want to make ALTs for the story but the class quests are like such a small part of the game. The rest are shared quests on a linear path so if you hate a Planet, you'll have to run through it again on an ALT.

Problem I have is I hate every Planet until Tatooine because they're all so linear until that point and even then two or three are linear after that.

Infact ditch the whole game and just use Tatooine lol.

Wait Ditch the whole game and give me SWG Pre CU.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 12:08PM Daverator said

@Miffy

If you make an alt, I highly recommend keeping your rested XP charged. If you arent concerned with leveling them up as fast (in calendar days) as possible if you are willing to do your space missions daily, pvp daily, and keep your rested xp high you will end up overleveling your planets by a bit. Which means if you get to a planet your not fond of you can almost skip it just by doing your class quests. I did this to skip Tatooine on my alt as it was just a giant pile of driving forever for my main.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 5:52PM Mtor said

• Half a heart
SWTOR, a game so massive, mysterious and immersive it can be fit onto a flowchart you can carry around in your back pocket.

200 million bucks, people. 200 million.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 8:35PM Celtar said

@Mtor

Now that I've looked over that flow chart, the more annoyed I am. 1 level to 3 levels per world? Really? Wow I am going to hit cap even with now skipping flash points and most heroics before Hoth maybe. :( I find this so unacceptable.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 6:02PM Sharuk said

@Mtor Billion dollar projects can fit on flowcharts.

About SWTOR being linear, it is just as linear as WoW post Vanilla, or Rift or Aion or even games like Diablo 3.

If a MMO is so deeply story driven it being linear is not a shocking concept.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 6:13PM bobfish said

It is also wrong.

The Jedi Prisoner is a quest that covers Taral V and the Maelstrom Prison, it isn't a Flashpoint in it's own right and therefore shouldn't be on there.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 6:24PM KvanCetre said

@Sharuk
I'd go as far as to say linear questing design is a design decision. I remember all too often new players in.Vanilla WoW getting lost and asking where to go next. Experienced players knew the most efficient route and followed the linear path anyways.
In a story driven mmo, linearity is basically required becausE unlike single player rpgs, we can't enemies scale with our level.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 6:24PM (Unverified) said

@Mtor Money well spent IMO

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 6:28PM Clemalum07 said

@Mtor your tears make me happy.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 8:30PM Kodiak said

Kinda useless if only because it lacks all the bonuses (which bonus series often rival the full normal leveling xp of the entire planet).

For example the bonus series on Nar Shadda is level 30 and Bonus on Alderaan is level 40 and there are a few others as well (such as Belsalvis bonus series are dailies that are also same level as Ilum).

Good start, needs improvement.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 10:44AM (Unverified) said

Its totally linear. Which is ok if youre playing a story. Hopefully they will make 50 less so. IMagine the line at Ilum going horizontal. Many differetn planets with endgame content.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 8:49PM (Unverified) said

The problem with SWTOR is there's not enough diversity. You have no choice in where you can level, especially at low levels. If you've done them on one character, you've pretty much seen everything, which makes leveling alts (pretty much a mainstay of MMOs) tedious. If you have multiple paths to choose from, then you increase the odds of finding something you like and suddenly it's not boring anymore.

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM