Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 7:22PM (Unverified) said

For some reason, as i was in bed the other night, i had the strange thought "hey, let's youtube videos of rift to see what happened" I had quit about 1 and a half months after launch and hadn't thought about it since. I had started dating somebody seriously, and i had become obsessed over SWTOR. So now that i'm at cap and bored with SWTOR, i'm playing Rift again and loving it. It's really a fresh and different approach to an MMO and i rather like how good Trion is with their customers.

They gave me 14 days to try out the game again and i'm going to be subscribing i think.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 8:20PM mispoem said

Reading this makes me want to go back to Rift. Swtor and the way EA/Bioware has been, have made me miss how dedicated the Trion crew is. Before anyone attacks, yes I know Swtor is new and EA/Bioware are doing what they can, but I just don't feel attached to their product like I did Rift.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 8:38PM J45neoboy said

@mispoem

I feel similarly attached to TOR as I did to Rift when it first launched. I soon started losing my loyalty to Rift around July of last year in the sense that I want it to succeed but I just don't want to subscribe anymore as there wasn't anything to do at endgame at the time but raid or die.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 9:27PM Lockisezmode said

@J45neoboy The same way I feel currently but I am aided by a much tighter schedule now than when RIFT launched. This has made me appreciate the game much more. Still waiting for RIFT F2P or another trial weekend.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 5:33AM Gaugamela said

@Lockisezmode

Unlimited trial exists now. You can play it for free untill level 50 man.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 7:55AM Balraw said

@Gaugamela Rift Lite, which is the unlimited trial, lets you play for free up to level 20 not 50.

Just as an aside to this it seems, at least on my server, that a lot of people are taking a look at rift again thanks to this. I started a new defiant toon to go check out the starter areas again after this launched and it was packed, though that was in a peak period. Not saying its the same for every server or that all these people will subscribe but I guess some of them will, which can only be a good thing for the game in the future.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 11:02AM Gaugamela said

@Balraw

Yes, I know. A slip up when I wrote the reply.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 11:05AM Gaugamela said

@Balraw

And since there's no edite button: I also came back to Rift with the Lite version. I will play the missing archetypes untill level 20 and will probably resub when I have the time.

Posted: Feb 3rd 2012 10:55PM Rialle said

I would like to see more souls for each calling, as crazy as that sounds.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 9:05PM Cyroselle said

@Rialle Apparently Trion's actually working on this, so whatever kind of crazy you have, it looks like it's spreading.

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 9:55AM fallwind said

@Cyroselle I would like it if they got the ones they have working first (looking at you, druid, sabo and others)

Posted: Feb 12th 2012 4:39AM DancingCow said

@Rialle

I don't think that's crazy. It's one thing that might bring me back.

I eg. prefer to play priests but didn't like the gameplay mechanics for cleric souls. All very cooldown/rotation-tastic. The bard soul was more to my taste but I don't like playing melee characters.

So with that great big collection of souls I was left with a tiny selection.

I'd seriously love to see more souls.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 12:49AM HitechLolife said

Genuine query: In what way is Trion's 'ability to think about MMOs differently' reflected in the game?
When I played the trial I found it fairly derivative. No more or less than the next MMO but nothing that really set it apart either.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 2:06AM jimr9999us said

@HitechLolife
The invasions and adventures are different...no game has done a better job of letting you instantly do group content in the open world like Rift has.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 5:34AM Gaugamela said

@HitechLolife
Rifts, Souls and more importantly the constant release of new content with every patch that brings something new to every type of player (yes, even besides raiders).

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 9:40PM Cyroselle said

@HitechLolife The new Mercenary system (get to play with opposite faction teams in PVP), the X-(and same) faction auction house, the fact that you can speak in /say and /yell with the other faction (AKA the developers trust the gamers to be mature and be able to deal with it, Unlike Blizzard) the open world PVP rifts, etc.

Trion is super flexible in regards to their game. Nothing is set in stone. Nothing.

If Trion decides that an area is too broad, they'll slam down a new porticulum and re-model the world geometry in that spot to match, such as cutting paths along mountain sides.

In Tier 2 of the Planar Attunement (an Alternative Advancement method, you begin this at level cap) lies a skill by which you can trigger massive world events, at your leisure. This is a pretty cool deal on a PVE server, but on a PVP server I would imagine that you could work this in as a strategic move, get the opposing faction to focus on the invasions, and then come out to burn them all down with a war-party.

If a class or build isn't seeing the endgame representation they would like to see, they redesign the skill trees of the souls that are lacking, and their turn-around for doing this is incredibly fast.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 9:45PM Cyroselle said

@HitechLolife BTW, is your handle a nod towards Cyberpunk? I just kind of read that as 'High Tech, Low Rent', which is kind of the axiom of that genre. :D

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 9:57AM fallwind said

@Cyroselle "In Tier 2 of the Planar Attunement (an Alternative Advancement method, you begin this at level cap) lies a skill by which you can trigger massive world events, at your leisure."

it triggers a major level rift, not a zone event.

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 1:12AM rgolch said

So I haven't tried this game since open beta, and decided to give it another shot after they just started the Rift Lite access. I really didn't like it in beta. This time around, I think I've found a new appreciation for the game.

I'm still not sure if it knocks my socks off, but it certainly does some things exceedingly well. After playing SWTOR the last 1.5 months, I do sorta miss voiced missions, as I think it adds immersion. But Rift does still seems to have a remarkable level of polish, and so far I'm having a lot of fun. It certainly blows the F2P games out of the water. And going back to WoW hasn't been an option for me for a long time. I'm sort of leaning toward subbing, and playing it as my secondary game; I guess right now I'm on a trial server. Anyone know if after you subscribe if it opens up the other servers?

Posted: Feb 4th 2012 2:02AM avaloner said

@rgolch
I thought you could trial the game on one of the main servers, maybe you can't then. I would imagine that once you subcribe you would be able to transfer for free to one of the main servers.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM