Posted: Feb 6th 2012 10:55PM (Unverified) said

It's amazing how even when they release numbers, the haters start picking it apart on how they're not really the Right Numbers. Their subs are going up, I remember that it broke 1 million after the first week. Now they are at 1.7 million, that's a gain no matter how you try to twist and interpret their numbers.

Obviously you're going to get more people around the holidays when more people are off. As the year progresses I would expect them to continue to gain subs. Espeically since they rolled out new content after 1 month. Unlike WoW where you get 3 major patches total in the entire cycle of an expansion, games like Rift and (probably) SWTOR are adding content at a faster rate to keep players engaged.

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 3:55PM (Unverified) said

ok, 1.7 million players. you know the trolls are saying this is the next wow killer, but how many of that 1.7 million are subbed to both wow and tor. I personally know alot of people, since I am in the largest guild in wow, that said that they were not resubbing to tor cause the story wasn't enough for them. They said that it was ok, but still a single player game with multiplayer parts which wasn't everything they wanted. Alot of them said that they would have rathered just play KOTOR 1 and 2 than spend money on a game which essentially had very similar graphics to SWG.

Plus, didn't wow open with more players?

Posted: Feb 7th 2012 6:43PM (Unverified) said

HOW EASY it is to be fooled.

SOLD/ 2M + copies of course that is ... to retail. That's why ONLY 1.7 M set up a subscription, the rest (300K) is still unwrapped (mostly on dealers shelves).

1.7 M set up a subscription ... BUT ... only the majority already ... paid according to EA.

Since WHEN is the majority a ... number ?

1.7 M ... and the majority is exacty what of that figure ? 0.9, 1.2, 1.4 ???

LOL

Now comes the trick: EA did the exact same thing with WAR ... 5 weeks after its launch: 1.2 million sold (to retail) and 800K subs...

Of course everyone saw the REAL results 5 months later... :)))

How EASY it is to say things around "majority".... 5 weeks after launch

You were ALL fooled and they didn't even needed to lie ... :)

ROFL ... :)

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 2:22PM Tizmah said

1.7 mil can't be wrong.

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 10:08PM Malenx said

I guess I would be one of those players that bought the game and within 12 hours of playing wish I hadn't wasted so much money on essentially a single player game squeezed into an mmo's shoes.

Couldn't stand it after a week and cancelled my account.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 7:57PM jball2k said

@Malenx

I am starting to agree with you on that one...only i've put a little extra on top of the $60 -_-

What a rip

Posted: Feb 8th 2012 10:44PM Copenhagun said

I admit, I'm not liking the end game content. MMO's need to realize that they have a strong core of gamers who don't like long raids, or raiding, PERIOD. What they need is to give gamers the opportunity to earn uber gear by doing either solo, or two or three man instances that don't take so damn long. I already have a damn job, and I don't like feeling like I'm doing another. If you find this grinding fun and you already have an eight hour a day job, 40 hours a week, on top of your constant gaming... then really... you should probably see a professional. I grow tired of feeling like I got to level another 50 to get more out of the game, and yes I'm talking to Trion and Bioware. Both Rift and Star Wars have ultimately been, get to level 50, and then depend on others. I'm sorry, but on my schedule, that doesn't work out well at all. It's almost time for me to move on again, because all I'm doing now is grinding another character to 50 and trying to farm credits to upgrade everything. Seriously, I'm not having fun anymore, and I'm about to cancel my subscription.

Posted: Feb 10th 2012 8:12PM vann said

Copenhagen-- I'm not trying to be a prick or anything, but maybe mmo's aren't the right genre for you. Is there a lighter grind out there than swtor? Not to my knowledge.

I empathize with those who say, 'I want to experience content w/o having to be some kind of hard-core raider.' I think it's natural, and they paid for that content afterall. I really have no sympathy though for those who say 'I just want uber-lootz without following your rules.' You kind of sound like the latter.

I'm in the former category, and I believe everybody should have an honest shot at seeing all the content if they put a decent amount of time in. But in mmo's the highly dedicated are always going to be more rewarded.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 7:53PM jball2k said

I was on one of the larger servers at launch, and I had a solid group of 20-22 RL friends that rolled together. Only 2 of us lasted past the 1st month. I can't possibly fathom how this game is a success.

Look at populations. I maybe see 50+ people in Fleet during prime hours. Finding PUGs is nearly impossible.

I for one am just very dissapointed. I waiting 2.5+ years for this?! I have played MANY MMO's, going on 10 years (wow, can't believe it's been that long). I know I'm going to be labeled as a Hater, but this just doesn't come close to the production value compared to a game like WoW.

This is 2012, and a game from 2004 was better (at that time) I expected to see maybe closer to 4 million subs at the start, something comparable to WoW.

I probably won't resub after this last month of game play. I am really hoping to get into GW2 beta, GW2 just looks so much more EPIC...even compared to WoW. Bioware/EA really should have polished this game, and refined it before releasing so prematurely. It just as good as it did in beta -_-

Posted: Mar 2nd 2012 7:55PM jball2k said

On another note, MMO's are not game for leveling...then rerolling an alt. MMO's really (to me) start at level cap. That's when you can really start to progress.

All people say about ToR, is to reroll once you hit 50. F That, I didn't pay $15 to level alts all the time...

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014