Posted: Jan 31st 2012 6:08PM Space Cobra said

Dang! Even the Published Letter is at a fairly large number (74!).

Time does fly....

Well, I bet I can't be a Llama or Penguin in the game (not that that would fit in World Lore...) to wit....get off my lawn UO! ;P

Posted: Feb 1st 2012 2:17AM Unverfied B said

@Space Cobra

You can turn into a Llama as a Ninja :D

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 6:34PM J45neoboy said

Wow, 15 and still going.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 8:14PM Anatidae said

Crazy UO is still alive and moving along.

On the Pacific Shard I was a co-founder of a town and last year I subbed just to log in and take a peek - and the items that the GMs locked down there were still in place.

That's one of the cool things about UO. I can still go back and see the small difference I made when I was part of the world there. I hear someone still cares for the shop we had there. Again, it is a special building - locked down in a way that it won't just erode.

It is weird. 15 years later, do you think anyone on the UO team remembers the player inspired communities that managed to get special items locked down in places? Is there some logbook somewhere on why and whom these objects were placed?

It is is a simple thing, but to this day it really separates UO from games like WoW. The virtual world of UO has, in a very real way, history. For the hundreds more hours I have put into WoW compared with UO over time, I can't say that I changed the world of WoW in any significant way.

Congrats UO on 15 years!

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 11:03PM EndDream said

Best Game Ever.

Posted: Feb 1st 2012 2:04AM Tizmah said

Ah, just looking at that screenshot is great. It doesn't remind you of running through linear areas from point a to point b, grabbing every quest you can along the way. Not listening to a dull story with constant voice acting. No waiting for raids..

It was do what you want, how you want, when you want. You were the story. You had your own unique story. No one had the same one as you. Your character was unique.

Posted: Feb 1st 2012 2:21AM Unverfied B said

For all the hate EA get (and i'm not really sure why...) they deserve tons of respect for not only keeping the game alive but continuing to actively develop it.

Long live UO!

Posted: Feb 1st 2012 8:41PM Yukon Sam said

I still maintain that if they migrated the core game systems from UO into a modern first-person engine, and applied just a little bit of polishing and balancing, it'd crack the top five without breaking a sweat. The design is far ahead of its time, even if the graphics aren't.

PAX Prime 2014: Strife learns from the past