Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:12PM Ehra said

Wow, the news about the vet rewards seems pretty bad. So are they removing the rewards and adding the new system in the same patch? Or will the new system be added later? It seems like they're going to do the second, which doesn't make sense to me.... why not do it all at once instead of staggering it?

With that said, if they're going to do something similar to what City of Heroes did with their vet rewards then I think that'll be a pretty good deal. From what I remember, they basically kept all of the old rewards but gave the player some choice in which rewards they unlocked first. They also added store support, so even non subscribers could earn "vet rewards" by buying X amount of store points.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:18PM Ehra said

@Ehra

Now that I reread, the outdated comment looks like even the rewards could be changing. Who knows.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:42PM (Unverified) said

call me crazy but I don't see why more companies who go f2p don't mimic the ddo system. So many games I would play that if they used that method I would be in it to win it. EQ2, Aion, etc etc.

I don't like ddo game play but the way you can earn unlocks by doing tasks and the costs of things are cheap enough that the whole system just screams PLAY ME!!! these other ones, like EQ2 system and this proposed one by Aion team just scream "don't even try it!"

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 8:03PM Daeths said

@(Unverified) God, EQ2 is even worse because the lock almost all races and classes and say you can never possibly use the best items or skill ranks. At least this its possible if not easy

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:44PM Caerus said

I'm a little confused here:

So I bought the CE and subbed for I think 6 months. I got the veteran reward wings and titles and dance emote, all that jazz. I was planning on picking the game back up when it went F2P (has that happened yet?) and rolling a new character - does this mean that my new character will not be able to claim ANY of these rewards? What about my CE goodies like the level 20 wings and hat?

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 5:19PM MJ Guthrie said

@Caerus
The game is only going free-to-play in Europe (although many of us expect it to in NA at some point).

Sadly, NCsoft has given very little information about the change in the veteran rewards, only that the old rewards will be outdated and new ones are coming. So yes, if you make a new toon after February 25th, they will nave no access to any of the previous rewards. However, nothing has been clarified about other goods such as CE items. If I get more info I will pass it along!

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 11:31AM DimmerMeerkat said

Just a quick clarification about vet rewards and F2P. The F2P model in Europe will not be getting rid of veteran rewards. They're keeping them going indefinitely, but only for Gold Pack subscribers. Free accounts (both new and "veteran") will not have access to vet rewards. You can find more information on this site:

Aion in North America is getting rid of Veteran rewards completely. And I mean, absolutely... to the point where you do need to apply them all before February 25th, or they will all vanish.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 5:25PM bulldozerftw said

the game goes f2p on feb 16 via gameforge http://www.aionfreetoplay.com/website. You will not be able to transfer your character. I heard that all European vets will have to be on their own server while all new players get to play on a fresh server allowing for a balanced start. Playing for free does not stop you from enjoying pvp at all.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 6:04PM (Unverified) said

I really hope it goes f2p in the US. I really enjoyed Aion when I played it and during free weekends, but I can't afford multiple MMOs--especially one so PvP-centric, which is the only aspect I really hate.

Plus, the lack of expansions at ALL since the game launched is a huge downer too. Otherwise, I'd love to play. Here's hoping!

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 5:33AM Cyroselle said

@(Unverified) This.

Please NCSoft, for the love of all things unholy, could you please add in a carebear server? How hard could it be? And the carebear population is huuuuuge.

I mean, it does bug me that this game has so many repeatable quests, that the flying is so flippin' hobbled, and that each environment (but for the core of the planet) is essentially a small box canyon.. but if it weren't for the forced PVP in the higher level environments making life as a Chanter so incredibly painful, I'd still be playing Aion today.

Instead I'm playing a mage in RIFT, on yes, a PVE server.

I rolled a Chanter in Aion because I really like support roles, and the mixed melee/caster play-style of the Chanter was something I fell in love with during the beta.

At the time translated info from the game that was already in full swing in Korea was hard to come by, so I didn't know that once I got to a high enough level I would be repeatedly facerolled by scouts and summoners. I imagine a lot has changed since, but I still feel pretty burned. :D

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 3:34PM Zyrusticae said

@(Unverified)
Um, the game's released two expansions since launch - 2.0, "Assault on Balaurea", and 2.5, "Empyrean Calling".

I guess you wouldn't recognize them as expansions because they were free updates, but given the breadth of the content in each, it's pretty safe to call them expansions.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 7:00PM pid said

I bought and played this for 2 months some years ago but sincerely... I won't come back even if it's F2P now, because I don't have the time. It seems the real limited resource are not thos 12$/mo but the free TIME to play. And with so many alternatives around I prefer paying a sub but getting the most fun out of it.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 1:10AM jahnnho1 said

i love aion .p

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 5:21AM Cyroselle said

"PVP Available to All" can't really be any worse than that 'fly anywhere' line that the NCSoft Marketing department were saddling the poor game devs with when Aion launched in the US right?

For me it's like someone handed me this awesome yo-yo with these crazy LED lights, told me I could play with is all I wanted, then broke all my fingers with a hammer.