Posted: Jan 31st 2012 12:12PM Anatidae said

@deadborder I think, even with just one US server, the game could be profitable. There is a good chance that Mytic made most of the development cost back in box sales, as it sold really well at the start.

The actual overhead of running a single server can't be much and if you only have one server, you can hire some "green" developers out of college and put them to work maintaining the game along with a few customer service people "GM"s that also can easily be farmed out overseas for a pretty low wage too - knowing EA, I am almost sure they farm out their GMs.

It would only take a few thousand subscribers to keep the game alive. And if they can keep Ultima Online going for all these years, I could see them keeping Warhammer going as well. In fact, there isn't any reason why they wouldn't link up all their GMs/Support staff to cover all their MMOs. Pretty easy to jump from client to client.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 12:25PM toothball said

@deadborder

I bet you Games Workshop wants this game to die more than anyone.

Mythic took an amazing IP with TONS of options to grow the game and essentially took the biggest, sloppiest sh!t possible on it.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 6:25PM Ulfgaar said

I miss this game.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 6:47PM Balraw said

Nice to see that its still getting a little attention but its sad its basically on life support and the doctors hand is hovering over the off switch.

I can honestly say that when I played this game its was one of the few times that I actually enjoyed pvp in an mmo, which was partially due to the rp guild I was part of but I did find the core game fun, even with all its flaws and faults.

Shame of EA/Mythic for ruining what could have been a great IP

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 6:52PM pid said

The only complaint I ever had with this game was the "funneling" with quest hubs quite linearly thrown across the maps. But RIFT and SWTOR do much the same, so I guess it's simply the themepark paradigm that enforces this.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 5:40AM Cyroselle said

@pid Depends. Some of RIFT is actually funneled very poorly (I think the popular term in my neck of the woods is 'breadcrumb') LOL

But the newer content has actually gotten a lot better about this, with incidental quests you'll just stumble upon by complete accident, even while wandering around aimlessly. So that's a positive step in the right direction.

Actually ironically one of the old complaints about RIFT when it first launched was that there was a dearth of bread-crumbing, so Trion introduced quests and made hubs link in more obvious ways.

Funny right?

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 7:47PM Infestimus said

Tragic misuse of an amazing IP, how this was delivered by the same house that made DAOC is mind-boggling. It would have been much better if they focused entirely on the old world with a three faction system (Empire, Chaos, Orcs and goblins) Then only after the game was stabilized and successful start adding new races and locations.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 8:00PM (Unverified) said

@Infestimus

Launched shortly before the Wrath of the Lich King with a ton of bugs and no window to tune the pvp, it died on the vine very quickly.

They honestly should have kpet it another 6-8 months in QA, and launched about 3 months after ICC hit. People were getting bored of WoW, the product would have been better, and they would have had 6+ months of no competition to grow an audience.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 3:14AM (Unverified) said

@Infestimus Yup! Mythic really should have implemented something VERY similar to DaoC, making a linked frontier for all three realms bordering their leveling areas. Putting the RvR lakes in the middle of separate PvE zones was disastrous thing to do, because all the WoWers just avoided fights and went from keep to keep.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 12:16PM sandals said

@Infestimus

It actually isn't that much of a mystery, most of the great things about DAOC were developed by Matt Firor, who left Mythic before WAR for greener pastures, along with a couple core people.

Thus WAR fell into the lap of MJ (Mark Jacobs) who would not know how to create a game if one hit him in the face.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 8:27PM (Unverified) said

WAR as it is now is pretty fun still, and the best RvR/truly massive PvP MMO out right now (if not counting DAoC). The ORvR in WAR is unmatched by any other game out, and that's saying something. People want to bag on this game most likely have not played it recently, or can only complain that more people aren't playing this game (low pop gripes).

Population starts with you. Plus, they'll give you 15 free days to come back and not charge you until the period is over. If you don't need twitch combat or full-loot PvP, this is still a great game and getting better. With the single server, the population is concentrated enough now that I have seen a lot of action at different times of the day.

Until GW2, and maybe even after, WAR is where it's at for massive non-fullloot PvP.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 6:38AM Deadalon said

@(Unverified)

Population starts with you... Ye right - so that RR 100s can kill you for next few months.

PPL are not stupid. But there are still few nuts that think they can fool other players to become their cannonfodder for the next few weeks.

The general builtup of WAR is BROKEN. New players that are starting to get RR should NOT be playing with ppl that are miles ahead. If you havn't realised it yet - THATS the reason the game is dying. Unless ofc you pay EXTRA to boost your RR gain.

But hey...thats what PVP is all about in WAR. Get higher rank and then feed of the lower levels. In a massive gankfest.

Again - its BROKEN.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 1:22AM theBeast said

This was the first time my heart was broken with an mmo. My god I love Games Workshop, but was a tragic disappointment.

I've only bought two collector editions in my life. WAR and Final Fantasy XIV. Needless to say, I'm not doing that ever again.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 1:37AM archer75 said

Love the PvP, not so great PvE. But that's what they were shooting for. If I could get my WoW and SWTOR guild to switch i'd much rather play Warhammer.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 6:33AM Deadalon said

Its good to hear that Fortresses are back in. It took them what... almots 3 years after they removed them ?

EA, BIoware and Mythic abandoned this game years ago. Thats the reason it is in the state it is now. It was scrapped of everything other than PVP features - and you simply can not hold on to any sort of decent sub base when half the population is loosing half the time. Noone in their right mind pays for that.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 6:34AM Deadalon said

@Professer

It was soo laggy that it was unplayable. Its first now when the game is down to so few players that it can manage it again. But Im pretty sure it will still be laggy as hell.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 10:55AM meda said

They still havent' went F2P...YET? It will be free soon, hopefully it's can spark some life into the title. I subbed WAR and had a lot of fun. Game isn't too bad, although I do feel the PVE was not there, PVP was great.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 12:54PM Anatidae said

Warhammer did bring us some nice things, like public quests. We have seen a few other MMOs try and use the public quest system (both failing and succeeding), but I have hope that we will see that mechanic evolve.

Clearly Mythic made a mistake by breaking what worked with 3-faction battlefronts by going 2-faction. It really amazes me. Since the game was announced in production players everywhere begged, insisted, and hoped for 3-faction. Mythic not only ignored what worked before to build upon, but they ignored their customer base.

But I think, and I actually feel this way about almost every new MMO, Warhammer suffers from "What's the point?"

Here is what I mean by this: In the early days of graphic MMOs, we were just excited to play in a virtual world. Meridian 59 didn't have great gameplay at all. It was ok, but horrible compared to our modern standards. The very idea of it was amazing though. That was the most popular of a few MMOs like it.

Then Ultima Online hit the scene. Again, the novelty itself was the attractor. Coupled with the fact that it was a very sandbox environment created a game where the "point" really ended up homesteading. To this day, over a decade later, UO is still running and has an amazingly active community (which is nuts!). You can run through the lands and find player housing thriving with decorations, player vendors, and player-run events.

Everquest might have been the last MMO that just thrived on novelty alone. After that, I think MMOs actually had to evolve or innovate to capture hearts (and subscriptions). Clearly there have been success stories and failures.

But what we have lost over time is, "what is the point?". Often it seems to evolve around grinding for gear. A concept introduced in EQ, refined by WoW and now an assumption that gear grinding is a great end-game solution for MMOs.

But what I find is that if I am going to gear grind - I sort of end up doing it in WoW. It isn't that I love WoW, but it has years of refinement. Even my interface (with the help of addons) is refined better than any other MMO - to my liking. And although I'm having fun in SWTOR and enjoyed Warhammer for a while too, in the end I start to feel the grind. And, well, again the grind is more refined in WoW - so I often end up back there.

But I yearn for something else. I yearn for a MMO that provides something new over the gear grind. And there are even interesting smaller MMOs that don't completely hit with the full game, but have really interesting end-game mechanics that would be awesome in a game like Warhammer, SWTOR, or WoW.

But back to Warhammer - it really suffered from "what is the point?". Public quests were empty of fellow players, so what was the point of attempting them? RvR was just one side steamrolling the other at different hours - so what is the point of that? At max level, what was the point of grinding gear? Were the raids more fun than WoW's raids?

Too long of a reply here - but I really wish that developers would just build their MMOs without levels and *start* with the "end game". Put all their energy and focus on "what is the point of this MMO" from the perspective of where the majority of players will spend most of their time - at the max level.

SWTOR have been out for a month or so, and already people are leveling up their second and third alts, skipping past the content as fast as they can. Once you've heard it once, all that dialogue is just a time sink. People say things like "lack of end-game content", and they are right. Bioware/Mythic spent years and years building another MMO that is fun to level through for a month or so and then lacks any real purpose. Raiding isn't a great solution - even Blizzard knows that and has been working to modify how it works in WoW.

My big hope is actually for Planetside. I know it is more of a MMOFPS, but it really has a clear point. Capture land for your faction. 3-faction warfare. Hopefully no crazy gear-grind and, as a result, gear-based face rolling. There is a reason FPS games do so well and have such a long and active life - they really have a clear definition on "what is the point?" that never ends.

Posted: Feb 1st 2012 12:02PM Soldier said

You are all very mistaken... Warhammer is now a very polished game and the only reason why it is not doing well is due to people like you who do not play and flame the game...

RVR titles are neiche games like DAOC known to be the best mmorpg of all time never had more then 200k subscribers and still has about 100k

Yes the servers have dwindeled, but what you fail to realise is that the game supports far more players on the remaining servers with almost no lag...So it is more like 5 servers in effect

The population is always stable untill a new mmorpg comes out, then it drops and picks up a bit again...

Mythic still claim to be making a profit and recently announced that there has been more susbcribers entering the game over the last few months...

A reminder: EVE online only has 1 server and nobody complains...

But what I can tell you is that the problems with warhammer online are very much over in terms of bugs , lag and gameplay mechanics..

In a matter of fact last night I ran a census and Karak Norn server had more players online then ever before

Posted: Feb 6th 2012 7:43AM Indigo X said

@Soldier Sorry, but you sound like you work for the company or you're just making shit up. Equal to 5 servers?
Also, Eve is a completely different beast that runs server clusters with alot less need of data being transferred at a time compared to usual mmo's.

Also Eve's subscriptions have mostly been going up since launch while Warhammer's has been going down. It's just way to similar to other games to have it's user-base stick.

Great IPA, love Warhammer (40K more though) but this game is about to die, as it should.

The Think Tank: Thoughts on PAX East 2014