Posted: Jan 30th 2012 11:39AM OptimusPrimeisOP said

I only skip it if I have seen it before. I like to hear the NPCs, and they have some interesting dialogue sometimes. There are a couple of quests with cut scenes that I will never skip, because I thought they were pretty cool.

I see the dialogue as the point of SWTOR. If I were to get to the point where I wanted to skip all the dialogue, I would no longer enjoy the game. Without the story, it is just another mediocre game on the same level as Rift and WoW. I just don't get into the whole "leveling up to just get gear to get more gear" that MMOs are built on. Some people like that, and that is OK, too.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 11:43AM DarkWalker said

@(Unverified)

It's how I play every voiced over game since a long time ago. Unless the actor is really good, to the point it's a pleasure to listen to him, I don't have patience with spoken dialog; I just read the subtitle and skip the voices.

It's also why I say that, among all voiced MMOs, I like the voice-overs in DCUO the best. Not because of the quality or something like that, but just because the quest giver is telling what he needs through the character's communicator, and we are free to be doing anything else while he speaks. Where in most other games voice-overs just increase downtime, in DCUO they are used to reduce downtime while still providing the full quest text to players.

Also, I actually dislike when my character is voiced. In fact, I prefer when my character's dialog isn't even written. Not seeing/hearing what my character is speaking means I'm free to imagine "my" lines in any way I want, making it much easier for me to bond with the character. On the other hand, reading/listening to my character's every word makes me feel like he is a completely separate entity from me, breaking immersion.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 12:12PM BIGGIN said

I read/watch everything as I am a firm believer in the RPG portion of MMORPGs. I play for the experience, not the XP.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 12:19PM edgecrusherO0 said

In games in general: I'll watch cut scenes once and then skip them unless they were particularly interesting. Some games just have bad/boring cutscences though. I don't think I watched an entire cutscene in all of Cata in WoW. Didn't care enough about what was being said (i.e. lack of engagement with the storyline) and something about them just annoyed me : /

In SWToR I watched the cutscenes during the beta for a few hours and then ended up skipping all but the main story cutscenes. The sidequest dialogue was generally insanely boring and held no interest for me. The main storyline though was good (played a smuggler) and I enjoyed almost all the dialogue cutscenes, but they did get tedious from time to time.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 12:39PM Kalex716 said

just cancel your sub, and watch the quests on youtube.

save yourself lots of boring wompa rat killing, and little glowy things you have to click on.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 1:31PM winterborn said

Story is good for single player games but it was a mistake to base a mmo on it. It just restricts way too many options and does not have much replay value.

The story is not even that good, I have enjoyed Skyrim and Witcher stories more than Biowares PG stuff.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 1:34PM uberman3000 said

Only the stuff Ive seen before, otherwise I watch it. After I hit 50 I dont know if skip or not.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 1:35PM Lateris said

Only if I have been through the quest before. I really like the dialogue. That is just me.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 1:49PM (Unverified) said

I try to listen to all but at the same time some tend to just go on and on and on even after theyve pretty much told you what they needed. For that Ive pretty much stopped playing my alts because I dont want to have to listen to the same run on audio over and over and over.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 1:50PM Thierry Vandeportaele said

I listen to all, plus all answers till the dialogue line fits to my character, because the titles of the answers are not very relevant in french. It happens the translators perceived the opposite of the original meaning because they missed a little nuance , or didn't understand a sarcasm.

I listen to all again for each toon I create, because they are different in their personality.

For some, the journey is more important than the destination., for some others not, that's it.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 2:38PM Lumin said

I generally read through dialogue the first time I see it. If I'm talking to a npc for the same purpose or replaying old content at a later date, I just skip it then.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 2:52PM (Unverified) said

So far I am level 28 and haven't skipped any new quests yet (I skip everything on my alt that went with a diff. AC). I'm an Agent, and I play with my friend a Bounty Hunter. Both storylines are good stuff, and either light side or dark side options are cool. Jedi or Sith options are so cut and dry as to be silly.

Plus even in side quests, you never know when a light side / dark side option is going to pop up, so I like to actually know what's going on in those situations.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 2:55PM Rayve said

I only watch if I haven't done the quests yet. If I have, I just spacebar as fast as I can.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 3:05PM Anatidae said

I skip most of SWTOR VO now. I'll look into my side chat window to see what was said. I guess I should maybe turn on subtitles. Most of it is completely dull though with a few exceptions.

Also, over time I come to realize the choices are pretty meaningless. I can give the rudest reply possible and the NPC just brushes it off. Other than refusing a quest, you won't actually get that much of a different response on side quests.

Heck, even when quests let you cheat the person, you can fess up to them later and they STILL give you the reward. Heh.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:10PM Squidsnthings said

I pretty much skip anything that isn't in basic. Otherwise you have an alien just staring at you for a good 5 seconds.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:21PM (Unverified) said

I'm one of those people who complain about the lack of immersion in MMOs. I want the world to feel more real, more complex, more everything. But I am constantly clicking through dialogue.

Maybe it's because I know the text will appear on the quest log succinctly telling me what I need to do with a helpful arrow pointing the way. Maybe it's because no matter what the NPC says, the mission will always be exactly what the quest log says at the end. Maybe it's because the whole orientation of the game is to level, which is based on running, killing things, and running back for the reward. It's not based on enjoying or understanding the world I'm in - though of course it is hoped I will do so along the way.

I've not played SW:TOR but I gather the dialogue choices aren't quite that meaningful. I don't think story becomes important unless it is central to playing the game. And that can be at odds with casual play which attracts a broad audience. Still, I'd hope it's not impossible to make story a central game feature while making casual play easy and fun. Raph Koster has posted interesting thoughts on narrative in games recently.

Text would have to be consistently engaging and funny in order to get me to read it, if not otherwise central to playing the game.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:44PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) and that is the problem, they spent all their time on a gimmick ala EQ2 voice, and didn't bother to look at the outcome.

After a while it just gets annoying for a lot of people. Those who it doesn't great! But I can't help but imagine how much more they could have done with space, and other parts of the wow clone that this is, if they hadn't spent all their time on cutscene chats.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 4:55PM (Unverified) said

I have watched every cutscene in SWTOR at least once. When I go back through them with alts, or I do dailies, then I tend to skip. But if its a new story line, new quest, or generally something I haven't done before I watch the cutscene.

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 5:01PM Yog said

I have an inquistor at max level and a number of alts I'm leveling. I didn't skip any dialogue with my inquisitor but I often times skip dialogue on my alts because I've already heard everything I want to from that quest.

Posted: Feb 2nd 2012 5:52AM gustave154 said

@Yog i have 5 alts and 1 main character.
i play the other alts just to play the story quests lol.