Posted: Jan 29th 2012 3:14PM DevilSei said

I think people can forgive it, it would be hard-pressed to turn a card game into an MMO while making sure it stayed completely a card game.

It certainly is rare too, to have cards change to reflect their use. The only other game I can think of is "Scrolls", which is the card game being worked on by Mojang (of Minecraftian fame), which apparently has its cards appearing more worn as you use them again and again.

So my only question would be if there are cards outside of the "character" cards you use in the deck? Because it sounds similar to a couple of card games I've played before, namely Magi-nation or Anima. Both had hero-card-specific gameplay, supplemented by additional cards that represented spells, equipment, or in Magi's case monsters.

And if there was one set of cards I loved more than Magic: TG, it was Magi-nation.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 3:44PM Wispur said

@DevilSei My wife and I still play Magi-nation on a regular basis. In fact, a couple months ago we bought a couple more boxes from the last expansion.

As much as we love that game though, we always point to it when we are discussing powercreep. 'Cause that game had some mad crazy power creep, lol.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 9:03PM DevilSei said

@Wispur

Ahh lucky, the last few card shops around me that haven't been closed down don't have Magi-nation cards anymore. I always played it with friends though, never anything serious enough to worry about power creep at least.

Posted: Feb 1st 2012 2:27PM Ergonomic Cat said

OMG. I didn't know anyone else in the world played Magi-Nation. I was a beta tester for that from the beginning. I have binders and binders full of cards! I even designed one of the Arderial Magi!

Weave was always my favorite (well, once it came out. :) ). I still take out my cards and go through them from time to time.

And yeah, I really didn't play anything after the Jungle expansion - it kept getting more and more powerful, rather than more and more diverse.

To answer the original question, no. It's 8 cards, of which 4 come out. You can build single clan decks or 2-clans (you can do more, but it's rare, and not a great idea). You have Pillz, which have changed over time. I think at this point, you start with a certain number, and gain one each round. The strategy is in picking the 8 characters. Most people play ELO, which limits you to 25 total levels, meaning you have to mix high power cards (5 is the top) with lower. The cards that are from the same clan get their clan bonus. The ones that aren't, don't. You've got to build knowing that, on a bad day, you'll get your four weakest cards out at a time.

I played a *lot* of UR for a while. It's a very fun game. And you can pretty easily get most of the cards you want for low cash - you just buy a handful of the new boosters, and sell whatever the rares are. That lets you buy the good cards that aren't the flavor of the month....