Posted: Jan 28th 2012 6:17PM (Unverified) said

Hot on the heels of the buy-this-and-we-will-release-something-later-trust-us "expansion" comes a foreboding year of reduced update releases. Coming up, several more cheap attempts at your wallet though the station store followed by a "we're out of ideas" expansion leading into the official pre-release of EQ "rehash attempt no. three" NEXT.

Makes me glad that I got to enjoy this fine game back in 2004-2005 before they started running it into the ground.

Posted: Jan 28th 2012 8:17PM Saker said

@(Unverified) EQNext is my only hope, I agree they've gone beyond jumping the shark with EQ2! Whenever I see the "name" Dave "SmokeJumper" Georgeson I immediately think "SharkJumper", it's so fitting.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 5:31AM Rhazes said

@Saker I would be interested in EQNext is smokejumper and Smedbucks was fired.

Posted: Jan 28th 2012 6:26PM Bhagpuss said

As a longtime subscriber who's had a sub ever since since launch I'm more than happy with both the state and the direction of the game. If there's one thing EQ2 isn't short of it's content.

As far as expansions go I'd be more than happy for Age of Discovery to be the last traditional expansion. I'd much rather see features and content added to the Station Store on a rolling basis than have them rolled up into a package once a year. That way i could buy the things I'm interested in and save the money on the rest.

I thought there was supposed to be some technical reason why there couldn't be much more in the way of level increases anyway.

Posted: Jan 28th 2012 6:28PM pcgneurotic said

I'm a former subscriber, an on again-off again player since launch, and although I can't and don't pay for a recurring sub, when I do EQ2 I spend many, many times my sub fees in the shop.

Also - four small updates, or three big updates (relatively speaking)? What's the difference? Nothing the patient can notice... ;)

Posted: Jan 28th 2012 10:08PM (Unverified) said

@pcgneurotic

Think the point is this is a huge development snafu. They messed up age of discovery, they pushed this year back to complete it, and on top of that there's another expansion slated for the same year. For their development team it must be a nightmare, and people have to ask themselves why did this happen in the first place? Now if you think about the answer to *that* question I doubt anyone could come to an optimistic conclusion.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 3:02AM pcgneurotic said

You're right, but like Karen says it's nothing new in either EQ history or MMOG history. Look at Cryptic over the last 12-18 months. Almost everyone on the planet said 'OMG! They've screwed everything up! THe schedules are ruined, there's no content coming out, where are the episodes, the Klingon fixes, la la la? Cryptic, guys, you're heathens, child molesters, incompetent, bungling fools, etc etc etc'.

But - at the end of the day, they *did* release a ton of stuff anyway, and it turned out that the promised-but-not-delivered content was down to Atari totally mismanaging them.

I say all of this to illustrate the point that SOE changing their update schedule on the fly is nothing to be alarmed about. In their case too, they're a large company with constant movement of personnel and resources around their different dev teams. Games come (EQN), games go (SWG), so whether they do three big updates and an xpack over the next year or four smaller ones, I don't think it matters that much, and shouldn't have too much read into it tbh.

Also, I really liked AoD myself. It may not have been totally perfect, but it was pretty damn close (imo). :)

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 3:26AM Khai mann said

It's so funny how most of the people who are unhappy with the state of the game are those who haven't played it for ages...

When I was playing a few weeks ago, most long time subscribers I spoke with were more than happy with the direction the game was taking.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 8:04AM eLdritchZ said

@Khai mann yeah this is pretty much what I'm thinking, too... I bet most of the people who constantly give SoE so much flak on these boards are people who haven't played one of their games in ages...

and as a sidenote especially to those folks who "swore off" SoE after the NGE update in SWG - get over it...

In terms of content nobody can complain about EQ2 or SoE... for the amount of money they make off of the game they shovel out a crap tonne of content so much so that Blizzard should be ashamed of themselves... oh wait... blizzard is a soulless husk of what they once were - my bad.

seriously, when a game with under 100k subs puts out more content than the game with 12 mio subs there's nothing to complain about...

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 9:40AM (Unverified) said

• 1 heart
@Khai mann @ eLdritchZ

hah, like actually playing a game makes you automatically qualified to understand whats right and wrong with a game. when 99% of the players who defend their games that are under fire are the blissfully ignorant people who spend all their time doing unimportant crap like doing nothing but crafting or rolling low level alts or socializing at the bank or just people who take forever to level or people who are just gonna quit in a few months anyways. basically the people who never experience whatever is wrong with the game because they never get there or they are not interested, they are just as qualified to judge a game as much as someone who doesn't play at all.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 12:57PM Yellowdancer said

@(Unverified)

This makes no sense

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 10:11AM Mistdal said

have to believe that the going F2P on all servers were the plan from day 1, when they released the F2P "testserver" Freeport...if you believe anything else you are naive imo.

so sad to see the way the game have gone, welcome to subscription game + extended cashshop, only free part is the early levels which were "free" when you bought the newest expansion anyway, so really nothing lost money wise when they have this "free to play" system, can see the smart in getting more potiential customers in ofc....but to people like me who bought all expansions except the last its just pure money grab.

so now their biggest income come from selling mounts in the cash shop....

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 2:09PM (Unverified) said

I really, really, really, hope that the next few patches fixes the crashing issues that the game has now.

Ever sense AoD the game has been woefully unstable, going so far as to get 'out of memory' errors, freezing, and constant crashing while zoning.

This game was rock solid before....but now.....it's almost too glitchy to play.

SOE please fix the game. >_<

Posted: Jan 30th 2012 11:39AM Space Cobra said

I don't feel like linking the video...

but : "Re: Topic's Main Picture", the first thing that came to my mind (off-topic) was...

"Honey Badger don't care!'

;P