Posted: Jan 27th 2012 3:36PM Space Cobra said

I am going to add.....that I have nothing to add!

I could make a case against Spike, being that there are certain players that care more about Min/Maxxing and none of the lore (or even fitting in; treating it as a numbers/exploit game and "winning" there). And while you could be correct that those players are "not roleplayers", I've seen some of those players either "put up with" other roleplayers or eventually join in, _most_ do so lightly, but a few go in and embrace the concept whole-heartedly. (I underlined "_most_" because this is mostly true and you shouldn't expect or mold players with such expectations that they will be full-on roleplayers).

I guess you could say they are potential-Spikes or "Spike's Brother", but your article is mostly talking about current Roleplayers, not potential future ones that happen to play the game.

(I guess I really AM trying to add something here...;p )

Most of the examples I come up with are "not roleplayers yet". The "Spike's Brother" and even the "newbie" who is trying out the game for the first time and learning, either from being dragged or through curiousity, but those eventually fall into the stereotypes, but I can see some of those "coast" through... Again, not coming up with any original ideas or being very creative, so they take a standard idea, but they may not know the lore or rules so much.

Posted: Jan 27th 2012 5:33PM deadborder said

"At first glance, you might think that Spike has no place in roleplaying. I mean, you can't win at it, after all"

Sadly, this is anything but the truth. I've seen far too many people who RP to win, so to speak. Their character has to be the biggest badarse, the toughest tough guy, the most special and unique snowflake and so forth. They will try to manipulate any situation so it's about their character, that they're in the middle of any scene and they're the center of attention.

These are the sorts of people who won't ever have their character suffer any sort of loss or setback, will play things as if they are allways right and so forth. To them, RPing is all about themselves and making themselves look good. And, regrettably, they are far too common, the people who treat RP as a way to look good and stroke their egoes, regardless of how it affects others.

Regrettably, far too many RP communities do nothing to counter this sort of behaviour, and rather oft encourage it, even if unwittingly.

Posted: Jan 27th 2012 11:22PM (Unverified) said

I think it's safe to say I'm a Johnny at heart. Not to the extreme depicted, perhaps, for my characters must be consistent with themselves and their world. Johnny with some maturity added in.

One of my favorite characters ever was a magician in a sci-fi MU*. Not a mage or wizard, but a prestedigitator. Also a master of disguise, and a charming rogue. He was Face from A-Team meets Artemus Gordon from Wild Wild West, with a dash of Artful Dodger from Oliver Twist. I learned from him that no one questions how the magic works, if the magic is fun and not used as an "I win" button. If a cargo ship's crew awaken to find the hold has grown a large Christmas tree, a small ice rink, and a solidly PINK penguin overnight....well, it simply is. One doesn't need to know how it's possible. It's too fun to ruin with an explanation. That's the magic of it.

Posted: Jan 28th 2012 6:50AM JuliusSeizure said

Eh. I can identify with bits of all three, but not nearly the whole of any.

I guess I like to start with a strange and novel idea like Johnny, develop it in a lore and logic consistent manner like Spike, and like Tommy I play in the moment, doing whatever I need to on the spur of the moment to keep things interesting and get bystanders involved when I can.

Posted: Jan 28th 2012 12:13PM Roth said

@JuliusSeizure Yeah, understandable.

I think when it comes to defining an entire community using 3 archetypes, you can look at it more like a triangle chart and plot your place anywhere between the 3 points, some people will fall in the middle, others can get the same result by spending time in different places on certain occasions and getting an average.

Anyway, I found this article brilliant as ever. I can plot a lot of role-players I know into these archetypes, and it's helped me understand why some people do (and did, in the case of a particular brilliant but now burned out Johnny) what they do.

I think I'm a Timmy, with failed aspirations to be a Johnny. Which explains why, I sometimes feel a lot of eyes being rolled when I blow stuff up every time I stroll in a room/mission/story. ^_^;

Cheers for the delicious insight!

ps Anyone else notice the MMO Trinity in the 3 characters?