Posted: Jan 26th 2012 2:25PM Oyjord said

I've always wanted to try this game. I know it's not combat-oriented, but does it at least exist? Is it at least marginally fun while you take breaks from crafting?

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 2:38PM pbwilliams said

@Oyjord If you have the patience to build a house, raise crops and fish for food, to create your own weapons and then practice on dummies (or very small animals), then yes, there is plenty of combat to be had. There are pvp servers as well, where I imagine combat is unavoidable. I couldn't get quite that far because I didn't have the time, but it was a very immersive process none-the-less.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 10:14PM Kalex716 said

@Oyjord

Theirs combat in this game, it generally composes of "hunting" wild animals and stuff for meat for food and supplies to make leather, hide and sometimes other stuff... But mostly just for getting your fight skills up.

You can also fight other players but getting griefed and ganked isn't that bad in this game.

A lot of the deed conventions go a long way towards protecting people and what not. Also, if you hook up with some more experienced settlements, they can help protect you and help you get setup a lot easier than if you were to try and crack it on your own.

I recommend the Epic server a lot, despite the PVP because skills go faster their... But you might want to get your feet wet on the open freedom non PVP servers.

Your first goal in this game besides finding a way to keep yourself fed (fishing pole is the first thing you should plan to get for yourself, hint, botanize early and often for cotton too), is to find a village/settlement. Wurm is best with other peoples.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 3:06PM (Unverified) said

Are there rabid pachyderms in this game?

If so, I might have to play it.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 3:11PM Wispur said

@(Unverified)
Yeah... Massively totally buried the lead on this article.
Tell us more about these rabid pachyderms!

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 3:09PM dndhatcher said

I'm going to save a link to this article just so I can troll other game sites.

"Your crappy game doesnt have proximity voice chat? Even Wurms Online has proximity voice chat."

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 4:52PM Seffrid said

This game would make a good option for Eliot in "Choose my Adventure", once he's cracked Ryzom. It's a game I'd like to know a lot more about.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 10:16PM Kalex716 said

@Seffrid

Aye, I'm pretty sure Massively has a deed on Wurm that might welcome all noobs, Beau Hindman may know more...

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 10:29PM Rhodanum said

.... That is kinda neat. I keep thinking about how awesome such a system would be for roleplay in other games like LOTRO, for example. As Matt said, imagine a kinship around the fire, spinning tales of the previous Ages for the new members. Sure, you'd probably have instances where some people would still prefer to type things out due to force of habit, not trusting their spoken English and so forth, but it would still be something very interesting to think about.

Posted: Jan 27th 2012 11:28AM (Unverified) said

The updated UI is probably the most alluring thing to me. Will revisit sometime.