Posted: Jan 25th 2012 8:05PM SkuzBukit said

The word filters in almost all games tend to be far too simplistic, someone needs to develop a contextual filtering system & sell it to game devs as a package in the same kind of way tools like Speed-Tree have been. The same could be said of AI systems. MMO's need better tool-sets to evolve their gameplay further I think.

I like your points on appeal, my child loves some games that would annoy the hell out of me

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 8:10PM Joaquin Crowe said

Kids are smart. Minecraft's better for them anyway. ;)

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 8:32PM Borick said

@Joaquin Crowe I'm a middle-aged kid, and I prefer Minecraft to any MMO on the market. My daughter and I can't agree on a AAA MMO, but we can spend hours together building and helping each other in Minecraft.

Open world. No expectations, and no Hollywood process mill trying to shove their story into my world.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 5:44AM Braiks said

@Borick Completely agreed with you Borick.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 5:55AM Aelon said

@Joaquin Crowe

Yep, smart enough to know what is fun and allows for freedom and what is a carefully-constructed maze designed to keep you busy long enough to continually fleece you out of sub money. Bitter? Yeah, you can blame WoW for that :p

But seriously, MC is deceptively fun/interesting, and if you're a creative type or casual gamer, can even be a long-term game. I refer to my server as my "retirement MMO," because I can modify the world endlessly and I can always throw out the annoying people :D

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 8:28PM Graill440 said

Constantly changing, simplicity, lots of pieces, the key to any good kid game.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 3:28AM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

Good game PERIOD!

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 8:49PM h4ngedm4n said

Karen, just let your kids play minecraft!
Minecraft ftw!
But yeah nice writeup.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 9:29PM DarkWalker said

I would say Minecraft managed to capture in a computer game the essence of what makes Lego so fun to play with. Very few games manage to do so.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 9:32PM Space Cobra said

While achievements will still be a game element people go after, I think they are getting less and less important. When CoH fairly introduced the concept to the MMO world, it was more of a recognition/reward for doing something, like finding/exploring a new place.

As time moves on, I am seeing a slow drop of interest in achievements (and wanting to show such off on Facebook). It's funny, but while some things outside the game, like fan sites, are used, other things are not (or quickly forgotten). I think this involves many things, but a certain amount of creativity, too. If such a "gamer page" was more interactive and customizable, kids and parents may want to show it off more to others. Normally, it's pretty dry and static and no one that I know of trades web addresses to facebook or cares to see what they can see when they log into the game.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 9:52PM (Unverified) said

Let your kids buy pets with their allowance. If they get bored with it fast, it might teach them the value of money and give them something the next time they want a vanity pet.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 10:21PM Celtar said

In my opinion all games anymore come off as designed for kids of some age. I'd honestly like to see some games that were catering to adults instead of the trend I've been watching for the past 7 or so years.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 1:01AM deejrandom said

@Celtar In your opinion, what would a game designed for adults be like? I'm actually curious.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 2:56AM h4ngedm4n said

@deejrandom
I think he is just trolling or he has a very limited experience of games.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 4:18AM burstup said

I played "Star Wars The Old Republic" for 5 days - then got bored with it. I have not touched it since.
I am 100% with the kids here. Games or virtual worlds that allow me to be creative (Minecraft, Second Life, OpenSimulator based worlds etc.) are far superior to me. Glitzy, voiced-over, multi-million dollar Star Wars title my a**.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 5:51AM tangerineknight said

I don't care much for Minecraft myself, but if your kids show that much disdain for SWTOR they have good taste.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 8:57AM koolaroo said

Minecraft is a great game and it seems to have quite a wide apeal. If you want a more mmo feel to minecraft check out buxville, though I will warn you the wait times to get on can be very long.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 8:58AM Samcha said

The thing that I think would make minecraft so popular for children over other games is the fact that there is no linear progression. The experience orbs are superfluous and don't actually do anything for your character, they are just used to enchant items which inevitably die. All items in the game come and go, the only things that remain fairly persistent are your own creations, your labors of love.

There's no real sense of failure in the game. If you die, "Eh oh well" - while the rewards are pretty large in contrast. Finding diamond, making a minecart track out of a cave, building a castle, town, or city; this sense of satisfaction plays a huge role in making the game very satisfying.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 9:30AM (Unverified) said

Minecraft = a better version of LEGOs than LEGO's own MMO. Pure, unrestrained creativity.

SWTOR = A "Choose Your Own Adventure" wrapped in expensive voice acting and tied to an old MMO tried-and-true levelling grind designed to suck money from your wallet.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 10:55AM Nenene said

I'd never let a kid play SWTOR. Can you imagine the explaining you'd have to do about the 'shock collar slave wife' storyline? Ugh.

Minecraft is a much better game for them.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014