Posted: Jan 25th 2012 9:45PM Space Cobra said

re: The question of previous column: It was alright, but I felt it needed more seasoning, even though it did prompt such a thinking session.

Maybe some juice?

As for this column: I need to hop back into the game, but I have been suffering from that dreaded disease, "Gone-too-long-and-the-game's-changed-on-me" and feeling a bit lost. And really, I am talking about the introduction with crafting/inventions! I sorta got a handle on that and sorta not (it is fairly deep and complicated IMHO, especially the different set details and what would work best for my different builds).

So, this Incarnate thing is really...well, I know it's optional, but like many, sooner or later, I explore those options. And really, I think only thr=ough the introduction of the AE did I get my first 50 on villain-side and one on hero-side (...and I've been in the game since Open Beta at that point, on and off! ;P I told you I was a slow leveler!).

I should just jump back in with the system; like cannon-bombing into a pool without looking first, but it is hard. And really, I have a sub for the game, so...

...well, I have a sub for SWTOR too, so that's taking my time!

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 1:31AM (Unverified) said

They did throw a bone to free players in the form of 4 story arcs in the 20-30 range (two on each side) and a new low level trial that's for folks 15+.

I didn't do the two villain arcs yet, but the two hero ones are pretty good and the new trial's fun. So there's that I suppose.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 10:09AM CitizenH said

When it comes down to serving people who may not be giving them any money, or serving their paying customers, then developers are wrong to favor the latter instead of the former?

Yeah, I'm glad the devs disagree with that line of thinking.
It's what has kept the game running for eight+ years.

The goal of a hybrid payment system is not to give people free entertainment for nothing.

The goal, one of them at least, is to allow people to experience more of the game, but only in the hopes they will *pay money* for even more.

From what I understand, there's nothing stopping free players from going to the new zone, looking around and even fighting the enemies on the street. As far as I'm concerned, that's it doing its job. It gives them a taste. If they want more, fork over the dough.

That goes for the rest of the free game. It does a great job of of giving people a feel for them game to allow them to sub and become a VIP or not.

This zone, or any content, costs money and developer resources to develop. Why should the paying customers foot the bill for freeloaders?

The Incarnate system is one of the very few VIP only exceptions Premium players can't buy À la carte, and this is the first Incarnate oriented zone they've ever done. Future zones will in all likelihood return to being fully accessible when purchased.

I for one am glad the developers are supporting the people who supported them for eight years. Free and Premium players get an /immense/ amount of content *for nothing*. That content's development was paid for by VIPs over the years, as will be any future content free players are allowed.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 5:11PM Daemodand said

@CitizenH Many in the CoHF player base have no understanding how f2p works.

You WANT those people who are playing your game for free. You want to serve them content to keep them busy and keep them playing, because that is where your future paying players come from! Fail to serve your free players, fail to give them anything new to do, and they'll leave and you will have lost a potential customer. The longer someone sticks around, the more likely it becomes they spend money.

Even people who never spend a dime are valuable to the game! They provide potential teammates and friends for your paying players. They help fill out the game world and keep it populated (a crucial element in MMOs).

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 1:30PM shredmonkey said

@Daemodand

The goal of the Game Developers is to attract new playing customers. It's not to retain free to play customers. The F2P option is to get you to log in and check it out. If you are a F2P customer and wish you could play more of the game, guess what.... that's exactly how they want you to feel.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 12:12PM Warsyde said

When I was doing it, I found Incarnate progress to be pretty quick. I didn't get to the very top tier in each of my five incarnate powers, but I got to the next one down in every power in just a couple of weeks of casual play (earning the +3 level shift).

It only gets slow if you want to collect and upgrade multiple powers for each of the incarnate slots. For completionists the Incarnate system is a massive time sink. Fortunately for me, I was more than happy to have one power in each slot and that was enough.

Sadly this update isn't going to do anything to bring me back, as at this point in the game I'm really only interested in the Incarnate system, but that's not enough content to justify a subscription by itself, yet I have to subscribe if I want to participate in that content.

@CitizenH, I've been playing the game off and on since early beta. I have over 4 years of subscribed time. I think I've paid plenty of money into CoH's development, but I'm still locked out of the Incarnate system unless I give them even more. I'd be happy to pay a one time price to unlock the system, but not going to pay month after month for what is a relatively small amount of content. Paragon's stance on this is stupid. They don't have to give it away for free, they can charge for it piecemeal like most sensible F2P games.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 1:11PM (Unverified) said

@Warsyde

The Incarnate system is one of the few bits of content not available to Premium players. Almost all other content is.

If everything was, what would be the point to being a VIP?
You call it a "small amount of content", yet it's enough for you to desire it.
Seems to me it's working as intended.

You say you have over four years of subscribed time. Tell me, before CoH: Freedom, how much of the game would that have entitled you to access without paying a monthly fee?

None.

You paid for the access time and content you were getting THEN, and got access to the game THEN. Anything you get NOW for money you spent in the past on service used in the past, is hospitality on the dev's part. You are not entitled to anything, you are graciously being allowed to access the content you are, unless you specifically paid for it as a Premium.

I've paid my basic cable TV faithfully for 13 years. That does not /entitle/ me to demand to get the Pay Per View service they offer for free, even if one day they decide to stop charging for basic.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 3:26PM starka1 said

@Warsyde

I'd pay the $2/month license for Incarnate access but that is it. I'm not interested in it enough to justify the $15/month anymore. I would also like them to do a license so I can pay base upkeep. Bases are nice and a convenience, but I can enjoy the majority of the game just fine without them.

And $5 story arcs are hardly worth it when you compare them to a $40 expansion by the same company. I see where you are coming from Warsyde, unlike Unverified below you. You aren't asking for completely free but the content has to have a certain value to justify the monthly cost. And the cable company analogy just doesn't apply. Lots of recurring content but also a TON of new content when compared to what CoH is offering.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 5:27PM Daemodand said

@(Unverified) I consider the continuing emphasis on subscriptions to be one of the mistakes they made with the new business model. It's understandable they want a dependable revenue stream, but subscriptions are already proven to no longer work for the game. Long term, I don't think it'll be a successful strategy, but I'm really hoping it will be successful since CoHF is a great game and deserves to survive.

Posted: Jan 27th 2012 3:02PM Gryphmon said

This was less a review of Issue 22 and more of a rant on the incarnate system. Notice for example, there is nothing in here about actual mission content and story arcs, of which a tremendous amount has been added.

Posted: Jan 31st 2012 1:38PM shredmonkey said

I really need to question the point publishing this article. It appears to be performed by a F2P subscriber who obviously doesn't represent the intended target audience of the game. It doesn't look like the author played any of the content in beta (not available to F2Pers). There's no information about what's being released. It looks like it's 12 paragraphs of opinions about information you can read for yourself in 2-3 sentences of a press release. What makes the author's opinion worth hearing? How is this interesting or informative to the public?

Posted: Feb 1st 2012 10:03AM CitizenH said

@shredmonkey

Also, I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the content in the zone excludes anyone. Free/Premium wont get the special Incarnate reward components, but I recall the developers saying the zone and missions in it will be open to everyone.

That's a fact that the author of the article really should have checked into, instead of making possibly false assumptions.

If this is the case, the article is starting from a false premise; how can Issue 22 shun Free and Premium players when they get as much new content as VIPs?

AFAIK, the only think 100% Incarnate/VIP only in issue 22 is the Diabolique Incarnate Trial. So one small raid out of everything else isn't available to Free/Premium players. That's still completely reasonable for people who are actually paying to support the game.

I think in the future there could be better fact checking. I agree with some of the others. This article came off as a thinly veiled (and possibly baseless) rant that didn't sound like it was written by someone who had actually played the beta content.

It contained very little information about the various features it talked about, neglected to mention the buffs to Stalkers, improvements to Gravity Control and various control set pets. It ignored the four arcs added to Steel Canyon and Cap Au and didn't even mention the new level 15-30 Drowning in Blood non-Incarnate trial. Nor were the MASSIVE Quality of Life improvements to the Team up Teleporter mentioned; you can now queue for any and every Taskforce in the game, and it will automatically teleport the assembled team to the starting contact, even if they're in a mission killing time. Rounding up a PuG is now a one click process, as is getting all of your friends into the right zone to begin a Taskforce.

These are important additions and improvments for ALL PLAYERS that were glossed over or ignored by the article.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014