Posted: Jan 24th 2012 5:23PM ShivanSwordsman said

... Are you kidding me? It's a 10 year old game and they're going UP on their prices? Eh... whatever. I don't know why I care. Never even played the game. I think it's a pretty stupid move, though.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 5:22AM avaloner said

@ShivanSwordsman
Wasnt the company recently bought out by a group of american investors? I'm sure it was. That is probably why the price has gone up, new owners want more money.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 5:31PM Maseno said

"and the rate will not rise as long as the subscription isn't cancelled"

I am guessing their "bot war" has cost them both a ton of money in legal fees, and a ton of lost revenue from members quitting. That is the only explanation I can come up with as to why they would raise their rates.

Should have left good enough alone.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 5:46PM h4ngedm4n said

@Maseno
Yeah I guess # of new subscribers due to bot war is significantly less than the # of lost subscribers who were bots. WELP.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 10:54PM (Unverified) said

@Maseno My thoughts exactly! They overspent on legal fees and are asking for the players to cough up the debt. They might lose lots of players from this but given the price tag, I highly doubt it.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 5:43PM J45neoboy said

Woah, woah, woah. I think member is worth the money but it isn't worth THAT kind of money. That's way too expensive for a 10 year old, Free to Play Hybrid, Browser based game.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 5:47PM Callagan said

I'm surprised that they're raising prices, but it probably has something to do with the bot war they're waging. If so, good on 'em! Bots ruin games and I'm glad to see some company (especially one that was one of the most infamous for botting) take some serious action. Now, whether their playerbase will be as receptive to this increase... that's more dicey.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:25PM J45neoboy said

@Callagan

You're raising the price by 2 dollars. That won't go over well. especially since it's a free to play browser game mostly played by people 8-16ish.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:04PM smartstep said

Quality cost money.

No bots = higher quality game experience = higher cost.

Still 8 $ is dirt cheap.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 8:50PM Snappyguy said

@smartstep It's not too expensive, an extra $24 a year if you weren't already subscribed. I don't think that the bots are the reason, or if it is, a valid reason.

We fixed our game! Money please. =\

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:07PM PhelimReagh said

They lost a good 100K-200K botting accounts, who were paying $6/month. That's $7-15 million per year they gave up. But to make up that loss on the backs of who are left is pretty short-sighted. I can go play Rift for $8/month if I buy the year-long sub option.

They justified the increase because of the "great updates" they put out last year. Every year up to now, those updates were what subscribers were paying for. Now, improving the game is a bonus players must pay extra for.

I think this is just Jagex's way to milk the last money they can out of the game before it dies to pay for their 4 other major development projects: 8Realms, Stellar Dawn, Transformers and FunOrb.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:24PM Raikulxox said

I'd pay that extra $1 if it meant having a bot free game. Easy.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:25PM J45neoboy said

@Raikulxox

I wouldn't, lol

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:41PM smartstep said

@J45neoboy

I would pay., lol

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:45PM J45neoboy said

@smartstep

Lol It's a fun game, like I said in my post above, but it's not 8 bucks a month fun. For just a little more, I'd be able to get a AAA mmo with much more content and nicer graphics.

Love RuneScape even though I've stopped playing it, it was my first MMO. But I never would pay 8 dollars for it. The quest a month isn't worth it nor is nuking bots which when I quit in 2009, there were almost none of them.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 6:58PM PhelimReagh said

@J45neoboy
There were no bots in 2009 because it was after the removal of free trade in 2008, and before free trade was reintroduced in 2011 (or was it 2010?).

Reintroducing free trade made gold selling possible again, and the bots came back in force. There were more than there were pre-2008, and they were everywhere, even at places where you needed to be a high level player/quester to access.

But yes, for $8/month that gets me a Rift subscription, so it would be silly to start subbing to this game if you have to pay AAA prices for an 8 year old grind-based game that was outdated even back when it was released (as Runescape 2) in 2004.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:13PM J45neoboy said

@PhelimReagh

Yeah, I definitely noticed a huge decrease in player activity once the Wild was removed and free trade soon followed.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:50PM Raikulxox said

@J45neoboy I doubt anyone is picking RS over another game they like more to just save $7 a month. I'd pick RS over most MMO's today simply because I'm tired of the "norm" MMO out atm.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 8:04PM J45neoboy said

@Raikulxox

yeah, RuneScape is definitely a good game in that sense but when your main subscriber is a teenager, they won't be able to afford that. I'm happy in TOR right now, but I'll probably take a break and play single player games until the summer while keeping my sub active. I'm really waiting for ArcheAge and I'll see how The Secret World pans out a month or so after it's launch.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 5:50AM wahahabuh said

@J45neoboy how do you know their main player base are teenagers? Also teenagers normally don't have money to sub to games in the first place, so their parents pay, and the parents likely won't care about $2 extra

Why I Play: ArcheAge

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 12:00PM

Massively's MMO guide to Halloween 2014

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 11:00AM

The Daily Grind: Do you defend your favorite MMO?

Posted on Oct 30th 2014 8:00AM