Posted: Jan 25th 2012 1:59AM wondersmith said

Holy mackerel! I've always ignored LoL because I thought it was a PvP game, and my friends and I are absolutely, positively 100% carebear PvE players. Now I suddenly find out we can play? Thank you for this article, Matt, and thank you, fellow readers, for your informative comments about this!

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 3:51PM Dracones said

@wondersmith You can play solo or with a friend with bots on your team vs bots on the opposing team, but they're pretty dumb.

Then there's co-op vs AI which has a beginner and intermediate difficulty mode. That matches you up with other players vs an all bot enemy team. The beginner diff is pretty easy but I'm finding the intermediate diff can be pretty hard at my play level.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 2:47AM Nucleon said

I've almost always been a standard PvE AAA-mmo player (WoW, EQ, UO, EvE). But I'm absolutely loving the complicated meta gaming involved in LoL. For a game with basically 3 maps, there is a *lot* of strategy and skill required in doing well.

All for the price of well... $0. I don't plan to play anything else until D3/GW2 comes out.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 3:47AM pcgneurotic said

It would be awesome if these guys can make breakthroughs in AI technology that could then be applied to other games too. So many middleware graphics, video and sound programmes out there, it'd be ace to see a good AI one too.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 5:18AM Sitef said

this game is one of the very few real "free to play" games and I enjoy buying me a nice skin once in a while, because I know I am paying money for a good game.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 9:51AM HiGHPLAiNS said

Awesome!

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 4:16PM Azzura said

You poor thing! I dont think the time ever goes past 5 seconds for me! :)

* yes there are that many people playing that you dont have to wait - how cool is that!

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 4:33PM Azzura said

very versatile in how you can set up games - you and a friend can fight one on one - or add bots to your team up to 5. You can put your friend on your team and go 2 vs 3 bot or 5 bots - you can choose which bots you fight and which you have on your team. A typical beginner match takes between 18 -25 minutes. Intermediate is usually around 40 minutes.

They have penalties for people leaving the match to discourage dropouts out and quitters. Rarely happens to me in matches - you might get a linkdead though.

You get a handful of Champions to play at first - and then you can buy them with in game points earned or with real money (I would suggest getting one of the bundles of 20 champs) and each week they have 5 or so free to play champs to try them out. If you buy champs - they cost around $7 each (same with skins) but they have weekly %50 off sales)

They are constantly putting out news, new champs, videos on how to play each champ, fan art.....very good communication with the players.

Posted: Jan 28th 2012 11:10PM wfseg said