Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:08PM JonBuck said

I save every single Orange piece of gear I get. My Gunslinger found a level 33 Light robe I sent to my Sage for when she reaches that level. This Gunslinger of mine is still using the jacket he got on the Esseles. I wish all gear was orange, frankly. You could really make your PC unique.

As for how Companions look, I agree having more choices to start off would be much better. Personally I'd like to see them randomize how they look when they first show up in your storyline.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:36PM hansh0tfirst said

@JonBuck

What I think would be cool and extend the value of crew skills (besides Biochem), is if Armormech & Synthweaving could reverse-engineer armor to make it moddable... and allow Artifice to craft dyes.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:46PM (Unverified) said

@JonBuck Hmm, that's an interesting idea: What if we could convert ANY wearable/wieldable gear to Orange (customizable)? At the same time, it would clear all stats/slots so it would be, effectively, just a "visual shell" and become unbound so we could trade, mail or sell it.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 9:05PM digitalheadbutt said

@(Unverified)

I have a bank tab full of level 49 augments but since folks tend to lean so heavily towards Biochem because of it's obvious utility, I can't actually do anything with them. It would be nice if I could "slice" an augment slot into armor, weapons, implant and jewelry. Similar to adding sockets in Diablo 2 and WoW. Or have some way to chance of making items that have aug slots. I see them rarely.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 2:06AM Celtar said

@JonBuck

I've been doing the same thing, saving all orange/mod-able gear for my various pc's and their companions.

I also wish they offered "more" companion customization including name changes and "more" cosmetic looks. Just a wish on my part.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:19PM Irem said

I can almost guarantee they won't allow cross-faction custom emote recognition, sadly, for the same reason WoW never did. People could potentially use it to insult each other or simply chat.

I never understood what would have been so hard about just putting in an option to ignore the other faction's /say and /em and have it turned off by default, but it cuts off a ton of potential RP scenarios.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:29PM hansh0tfirst said

@Irem

Actually, initially players could see the opposing faction's emotes in WoW. I think some inventive person even developed an addon that effectively worked as a translator, allowing genuine communication between Alliance and Horde.

And yeah, enough nitwits abused the system that eventually Blizzard had to disable it.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:47PM JuliusSeizure said

@Irem

You can talk in /say to the opposite faction just fine. There is no reason for custom emotes to do otherwise, save Bioware being lazy or forgetting.

@hansh0tfirst

That was only with standard emotes. Custom emotes would always come across as 'So and so makes a series of unintelligible gestures.'

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:54PM Irem said

@hansh0tfirst
I remember hearing about that. I just always thought it was heavy-handed and bizarre, considering that I heard enough trash talk coming from my own faction that you'd think they'd have implemented a "nobody can talk to anyone else" chat restriction if that were the way to fix things.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 2:07AM Celtar said

@Irem

One of the things I did love about Rift was that you could cross faction talk. Never made any IC sense (immersion breaking) that you couldn't in WoW and other games.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 7:20AM (Unverified) said

@Irem
One of the best Roleplay i had in WoW was when i was RPing an Undead Rogue as an assasin of a Forsaken only RP guild.I was questing in STV when 2 Night elves from a famous RP guild on alliance side jump infront of me..One was a priest.He mind controled me and i could read their /e text..So he told me he wanted to make a deal with my master and that i had to deliver the message or die.I thought there was some kind of a hack

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:25PM hansh0tfirst said

"Maybe someone can correct me if I'm totally off base about this, but the first planet I saw on the Imperial side that sells companion customization kits was Taris."

Balmorra - Cantina; and I believe they're around 12k a pop (which I think is a bit excessive for a lowbie to shell out).

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:52PM JuliusSeizure said

@hansh0tfirst

About that, and it is totally excessive. Also, each place that sells them only sells for companions that you should have unlocked by then. Oh, and swap the order of Taris and Balmorra around for Republic characters, naturally.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 3:59PM Sonoran said

@hansh0tfirst

Yah Balomorra Cantina, I remeber it distinctly... I cntrl-Right clicked it thinking I could preview the look, and instead bought it leaving me with 12 credits to my nameand a Mako personage I vendored for peanuts... grrr.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:43PM JuliusSeizure said

Lack of cross faction emotes makes no sense at all when when can /say at the other side to our heart's content. Also, I agree with everything here. These are the most basic, fundamental things that need to be put out.

(Though I think the gear problem will improve as more Custom type schematics are learned by crafters. On RP servers especially, I think they'll be the main thing Armormechanics and Synthweavers in particular will produce for sale on the GTN as the market matures. There'll be a great hunger in the playerbase to assemble personalised outfits, not just for their characters but their whole assortment of companions as well. The problem right now is that the demand is only just starting to appear while the supply is barely there at all yet. Custom schematics are too uncommon and those who can craft them are too busy doing other things.)

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 7:48PM (Unverified) said

While you're asking about enhancing emotes how about adding some "vocal" emotes? With all this voice acting talent -- and that our characters speak during cutscenes -- why not have a limited out-of-cutscene vocal vocabulary?

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 8:31PM (Unverified) said

Ive been a crafting fiend so anything that makes me more credits is good..only level 37 amd my armourmech is 372..heehee.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 9:05PM Vundal said

I thought i would post this : BW is going to let us take out all mods from the raiding gear in the future- and the set bonus' along with them !!! that means you can now fullfill yours (ok my ) ream of raiding in a slave leia outfit...or be a Sith Sand person :P so make sure you keep your gear!

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 9:25PM MtthwRddl said

Larry, on your last comment, you're telling me that if you were in a real world scenario with 150 different people in a room, you could clearly make out what every single person is saying? The way I see it, the quick scrolling of the chat window is synonymous to the mush of speech one would often find in highly populated areas.

In poor thing is that even if someone whispers you, which would work in a real world situation, it would still get bumped out rather quickly in a large chatting audience.

-----------------------

I think Social Gear shouldn't even exist in SWTOR. They play the exact same role as other Orange Custom gear to players, but because they are light armor, give non-RPers that normally wear light armor an advantage in PvE and even PvP by giving them access to more, easier to get, Orange Custom gear.

Bioware should do 1 of 2 things: Create a social gear armor set for each type of gear. Or remove the light armor social gear on the market and release a few dozen more schematics for orange gear scattered throughout the levels so players have more options. I'm not saying hand them to player but offer some more variety overall.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 12:48AM JuliusSeizure said

@MtthwRddl

No, he's saying you should be able to tell what the people in your immediate area who you are making an effort to be involved in conversation with are saying. Speech bubbles will help with that, but won't make it significantly easier to follow what's going on in other clusters than the rapidly scrolling chat log. Just like real life.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM