Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:06AM actellim said

If they're offering this as a paid service it means they realize players don't like doing it. If they're intentionally leaving something in the game that players don't like doing, they're deterring people from playing their game. Wouldn't it make more fiscal sense to encourage people to play your game by making it fun and then generating revenue through microtransactions that compound on that? Just a thought.

On topic: no, I don't play games that offer a pay-to-win method, it shouldn't be an available option. I don't like getting beat by someone who threw money at their character or account so they could progress faster or have better gear.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:57AM pancho72 said

@actellim

I feel the same way. As soon as a boost like that becomes a product I won't touch it.

A boost for alts however is something I might consider, as long as it is part of the normal game package. This has the advantage of giving experienced players a way to bypass familiar content, while still keeping the original balance intact for new players. But it needs to be an option, not an automatic feature.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 10:04AM Snichy said

@actellim. I agree with you only if there is a requirement that you have to had already completed the content before unlocking the ability to skip it. Otherwise that's a bit narrow minded and you are generalising a whole playerbase. SOME people like to play through all the content on alts whereas SOME people like to skip past content they have played half a dozen times before and I challenge anyone to design a piece of gaming content that remains fun after having to repeat it numerous times. I am all for games giving players the opportunity to skip if they so chose, but as stated ONLY as long as they have already played through it at least once (e.g. tutorials, starting area and/or low level areas)

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 4:00PM Irem said

@actellim
All of this, and it's the reason I'm turned off by games that have this kind of feature. I don't really care what other people are doing with their characters, but it tells me something about the developers, and it's something I don't like or want to support. If you feel something's wrong with your game, take steps to fix it, don't make sad faces :( over how much the players are suffering and then announce that, good news! we can pay you for a fix! Even if a game is F2P and needs cash shop income, all that tells me is that they don't trust enough in their ability to create new, compelling content people will want to pay for, and need to resort to charging for stuff like this.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 10:11PM Budukahn said

@Irem

I'd concur with that sentiment. Especially regarding the way one thinks about the developers. Theres the controversy currently happening in Lotro where low level items with stats on them have been introduced into the in game cash store, allegedly to solve the difficulty lowbies have finding gear on the ingame auction house.

Personally, I haven't seen a comment from anyone I personally regard as credible who accepts Turbines reason as valid. But if nothing else, what is suggests to me is that, like this the companies involved have identified a problem with their product, but rather than trying to iterate and improve it by, for example making new advanced characters an earnable ingame perk they take the way out to make a quick buck.

Problem is, the game doesn't actually get any better. Instead of shortening the grind, they'll just sell you xp boosts. Instead of changing quest rewards to be suitable for the game, they'll just create new ones for sale for real money. It's like a particularly over enthusiastic sales person following you around the store trying to sell you things all the time you're playing and personally? I just end up leaving.

Posted: Jan 29th 2012 3:46PM Uthink said

@pancho72
I dont see the point of stopping this. We have all been in raids with players that were powerleveled by friends and dont know the first thing about the character. So instead of killing a revenue source and letting the game die, or a chance to reinvest the funds into content for the game. Why not just play the game the way you want to play it. If its not fun to play move on.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:07AM dasfunboy said

No, just no.

I understand wanting one, but it just wouldn't feel right.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:16AM (Unverified) said

Not a chance.

I'm not very interested in endgames and in every MMO I play there's a lot I enjoy in the lower levels, and it's a good way to learn to play a character a step at a time.

Besides, remembering the difficult early levels adds to the enjoyment of being high level.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:21AM nevin said

If you've reached the cap then yeah I would be tempted although I wouldn't pay.
Of course the lower levels would be even more deserted than they typically tend to be if all the alts appeared as moderately high level and bypassed the newbie areas.

Skipping the real lower levels I think is helpful at times when you've done them already ad-nauseum.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:26AM Yarg2011 said

If you have gone through the system multiple times it does not matter how fun it was it begins to drag. I am in favour of jumping some of the grind, just not going from zero to max in paid for bounces.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:27AM h4ngedm4n said

I wouldn't buy one personally, but I support other players doing so. I accept that there are players with more money than time, and are happy that their payments help finance the game. Some players enjoy spending hours .1'ing their way to a large number, others don't. If a someone wants to pay to skip a part that is not fun, in order to do some other part that is fun, go for it.

On the other hand, if I feel tempted to buy something like an advanced character, a re-evaluation of whether I am actually enjoying my time on the game leads to playing something else instead.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 10:03AM happyfish said

@h4ngedm4n I feel the same way. If someone wants to bypass something they find boring to get to better parts of the game and they have the money to do so, congrats to them.

I would seriously re-evaluate whether I am enjoying the game if I am paying to bypass big chunks of it.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:38AM Vegetta said

It takes a long time to get to 120 in animal taming. I did it quite a few years back and was lucky to gain .5 during power hour... (they don't even have power hour anymore...)

Heck i t took me over a year to gain GM (100) in magery on one character - i ended up doing the 8x8 to get the last .8

Magic Resistance and Provocation are really hard to level also.

That being said tho when I was still playing nobody really used the advanced characters much because for the most part you could get to the level of a purchased character fairly easily (Skill gain for the most part slows down after 70 (some sooner)).

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:39AM Dumac said

I wouldn't, but i don't think having the option is a bad thing in certain cases. Age of Conan allows you to instantly create a level 50 character if you already have one level 50 character. I got one for free (still haven't used it) and you can get more with special ingame store deals...

Basically, it's a shortcut for a player who has done it before and i don't see how that can be a bad thing.

But if a game were to have it without conditions and at launch, then i can see how it would lead to devs trying to "entice" you to buy it by having intentionally boring and/or slow low level content. So it's useful but it has potential for abuse too.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:40AM (Unverified) said

Maybe in some games, but I wouldn't personally be interested in a game where that was accepted or wanted. I don't like it, it feels like cheating and paying to win. Both of which give a bad taste in one's mouth.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:47AM Rialle said

I stand clearly on the "no" side of the fence as soon as a price tag is placed on bypassing content.

I am even hesitant to allow for too much acceleration on leveling an alt, to be honest. At least in the current environment where it is already trivially easy to reach the cap in most games. However I don't consider it game breaking as long as all players have a reasonable chance to gain the advantages once they have at least a single max-level toon. IE: Heirloom gear in WoW.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:50AM Nerves said

I'm actually totally ok with this, provided the person has a been through the grind before.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 9:01AM dudes said

No. I doubt I would play for long either.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 9:09AM (Unverified) said

I like to level and buying an advanced character would only cut out a lot of the sense of achievement. I wouldn't feel as attached to my character having not experienced a larger chunk of the content with that character. And if there was a game where it's worth skipping the content for an advanced character I'd not want to play that game in the first place.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 9:34AM smartstep said

I would not.

I tend to avoid games providing this kind of service as well.

Even if just theoreticaly it seem to promote boring gameplay so players 'avoid' it by paying money.

Don't want to help with this kind of business model / design.

One Shots: Ignore physics and jump already!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 10:00AM