Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 8:06PM Kremlik said

@Skyydragonn Don't worry CCP have worked that one out already I hope plus the ps3 isn't going anywhere and if it did, easy PS4/PC port...

DUST is only on the PS3 to break into the market (and MS wouldn't play ball with LIVE for CCP to do what they needed) once DUST has done it's job and EVE still lives, they'll find a way to continue DUST..

Besides we have enough multi-boxing macro miners in EVE, I don't want them to fudge about with mass contract feeding their DUST characters and spamming the game with 'free' orbital strikes just yet

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 3:37AM Cavadus said

Massively, why are you reporting on a match-based console FPS which we all know will have next to no influence on EVE anyways (because EVE players would go ape-shit if CCP let a handful of console players have any real impact on EVE)?

Seriously, Dust 514 has no business being on this website.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 5:16AM Kremlik said

@Cavadus you better go back and read up on DUST my friend.

DUST works with EVE and EVE works with DUST, it's ALL about planet control.

The idea goes: EVE player A wants to control resources on a planet in EVE from EVE player B, he/she then sets up a contract which is then read by DUST players A-E which they take the contract, but EVE player B sets up a contract in defence DUST players F-J take that contract to defend.

Which ever 'team' wins the match, wins the planet for that EVE player, also completing their contract and winning the ISK linked to it for upgrades and and resource use in their next matches

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 1:24PM Kalex716 said

@Cavadus

Because its the first IP to try and integrate with a companies other IP's in sort of a sci-fi institutionalized umbrela of games playing together.

If thats not Massively, and Multiplayer... I dont know what is.

Posted: Jan 25th 2012 11:22PM Brendan Drain said

@Cavadus Dust 514 is an MMO.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 11:38AM Lateris said

Personally I wish CCP would play with the idea when you launch Eve and go to your characters that you have an Icon to select Dust514. Giving the ability to Dust 514 launch it on the "computer". I also feel that Dust 514 would have a future on the PC as well. Either way I hope it works out for CCP.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 1:22PM Kalex716 said

I just wish for ONCE a Dust discussion could start that doesn't immediately turn into "Why isn't this for PC?" and "why isn't it on xbox".

1. Microsofts Live environment isn't flexible enough to handle the ambitions of this particular shooter. Done, now lets get over it.

2. Its GOING TO BE FOR PC. It just doesn't have a date yet, but it will be eventually, trust me it is... Done, now time to move on.

I'm not trying to pretend these 2 things are not huge problems, cause they are. But they've been talked about ad nauseum for a long time already...

I wish we could try and just talk about what the game is going to be like, how its going to integrate with their other properties etc. etc. etc.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 11:26PM psycros said

@Kalex716 : oh please. You have no idea whether Dust will ever be on PC, and CCP hasn't said anything about it one way or the other. Stop being another idiot CCP apologist..we have too many already.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 11:55PM Kalex716 said

@psycros

Its fair for you to suggest I don't even have an idea of why CCP might be making it on PC because I didn't even explain where I was coming from.

But since you brought it up, here's the basis for my IDEAS that formulate why I know they're making it on PC. This is based on first hand knowledge of multiplatform development. The reason is 2 fold.

1. Sony's development network, is leagues better than microsofts as far as regulations go, but its still not anywhere near as good as a custom pipeline on the PC. CCP, knows how to pipeline patches and content based on their model for EVE, and if they don't know it already, they will quickly realize their game will be better if they can patch, update, and push content at their choosing similar to how their business model already does so... Sony's certification processes will slow the deliveries down. CCP is going to hate it, and for their true ambitions to ever be fully realized, it stands a better chance without the regulations in the middle.

2. They're developing the game on the Unreal engine. Anyone who's worked with Unreal, and particularly if they've done so on a Shooter will tell you if it works on a PS3, it pretty much already works on the PC. Sure, theirs still lots of development costs still to do it, and custom code, a whole slew of optimizations that have to be done, and UI work as well and all kinds of other things to actually launch it on the PC, but from an architectural standpoint, it already does exist on the PC, you'd be stupid not to capitalize on that fact. In fact, the cost of the Unreal engine alone would make any business minded person want to make it multiplatform if they can. This would be like remodeling your whole bathroom but skimping out at the end and not re-doing your sink.

Just to suggest how easy it is to port an Unreal game to PC, just look at all the tripple A games that actually OUTSOURCED their PC port. They didn't even have to do it in house, they could take a platform dev branch, hand it off to a 3rd party, and let them customize it for PC. Its really easy.

So, TLDR. CCP would be stupid not to release it on PC, both because the engine they're making it on practically already does it for them, and the 3rd party processes Sony will make them work through could stiffle the ambitions of the product at large. Mark my word, its coming on PC.

Its just a matter of time. Might be 6 months, might be a year or more... Its coming. Now as far as the two platforms playing in sessions together goes, who really knows. That might not be so easy, but it might not be required to. Matchmade sessions driven from EVE might just randomize which platform(PC or PS3) completes the match or something.

Anyways..... Thats my IDEA... so level with me and admit that you can't say I don't at least even have one of those. Even if you don't believe me.

Posted: Jan 26th 2012 2:33PM omegaend said

Thanks, i knew it was here somewhere i just got lazy.

Posted: Jan 27th 2012 3:49AM asubbotin said

@Kalex716 : Yes, technically PC port is doable, easy and makes tons of sense. Yet CCP was under a lot of pressure to confirm PC release, and they never did. Every time somebody talks about DUST, people scream "we want it on PC", yet CCP remains mum.

That indicates to me that they have non-technical reasons not to release it on PC, like contract with Sony maybe?

That pretty much ensures DUST failure, yet this is a cliff to which CCP is driving for the last year with no course corrections.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014