Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:05PM Maseno said

The EQ bard was by far the most fun class I have ever played. Every subsequent bard after seemed to pale in comparison to what you were able to do in EQ. It was basically the jack of all trades. DPS, crowd control, buffing, healing, crack. Just plain awesome.
Come to think of it, EQ1 had some of the best and most well thought out classes in MMO's to date. Followed in a close second by Vanguard.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 2:07PM Celtar said

@Maseno

I'd speculate that the reason that this was true Maseno, is that EQ had more ties to table top rpgs and the classes etc found in them. Getting away from that and trying to make each class so similar or balanced vs other classes is part of the vanilla-zation (read less interesting) of classes in online rpgs later on.Something that wasn't good in the long run if you ask me.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 2:53PM pcgneurotic said

@Celtar

Absolutely, yes. And this is why I voted for LoTRO's Minstrel, since it is (imo) the most honest implementation of the Bard archetype since EQ. A close second is DDO's Bard, which I feel takes a more practical approach to the class whilst still retaining its core musical abilities.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 3:30PM Nepentheia said

@Maseno

EQ Bard. Period.

:-)

Who can forget Fansy the Famous Bard! (GO GO GOOD TEAM!):

EQ Bard kiting an entire zone of dragons:

The classic /GU Comics bard comic:

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 5:49PM henbot said

@Maseno
I'd agree with you EQ bards were the bomb and required some real skill.

1&2 EQ, Vanguard bards just removed the RSI, with a nifty composition screen. so I voted these guys #1 because you get bridge and chain combat system to go with it.
They're both the same realy just new and improved in the right way.

#3 Rift Bard class would come a third for being a caster styled bard.

EQ/vanguard Enchanter is still the best mmorpg class so far though
a class that is sorely missing from the mmo space in my opinion.

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 11:14AM Monkey D Luffy said

@henbot. The Rift Bards are a joke. Try getting more knowledge on the subject if you are going to try and give an opinion.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:11PM donweel said

I love this article, I have always had a thing for bards in gaming. I played a DDO bard and they where quite versatile although hard to build. The rift bard was fun at first but they changed it to a more boring thing to play. I hear the DOC bard was quite something but did not get to experience that.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:42PM Caerus said

@donweel

How did they change the Rift Bard soul? I've been playing a rogue continuously since Beta 5 or 6 and I don't recall them changing anything, except to add -more- useful abilities like res and spotter's orders.

Regardless, Rift Bard gets my vote hands-down. Amazingly fun gameplay, really cool sounds, great buffs/debuffs/healing, OK dps. It's what the LotRO Minstrel should have been (in combat, OOC LotRO wins obviously).

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:11PM Keen and Graev said

There is not even a question as to who wins: EverQuest Bard.

The only bard to truly twist songs.

The only bard to truly kite.

The only bard to truly support their group with CC, DPS, buffs, heals, crack (mana regen), and be expected to fill any roll necessary.

The only bard to wear bright blue metallic armor.

One could argue, the only bard that took true skill (skill I never, ever, had).

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:14PM mmark said

@Keen and Graev

Obviously, you have not played FFXI.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:44PM OldBoy said

@mmark I played the FFXI Bard for years and it's got nothing on EQ's. Kite or tank? (Maybe with /NIN sub, but then again, every job could, with /NIN sub.) Try even moving after you've started playing a song and you've just heard that same ol' tune for nothing. Being swapped in and out of parties to buff everyone else for zergs was about all Bards became needed for, because face it, we were always "second fiddle" to RDM.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 2:00PM Keen and Graev said

@Keen and Graev I love how trolled this site has become. I get voted down for voting in a poll.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 3:13PM jimr9999us said

@Keen and Graev

Lol, yeah it's crazy trolled. But still the best writing and community.

Heh we're in trouble!

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 3:53PM Pingles said

@Keen and Graev

No, you get downvoted for being so certain. Have you played all of them?

My DAoC Bard (Hibernia) certainly did all the things you listed. Even blue armor! We could dye ours!

Posted: Jan 24th 2012 1:11AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@Keen and Graev

Honestly, trolling is pretty much all there is to do on this site these days. The discussion days are long gone, now everything has to be polarized to max. The articles have moved to reflect that, there's no community management to speak with. It would turn into engadget cesspool if it had more commenters - this is mostly due to crappy software and the inability to do anything about it (compare this to, for example, slashdot where it's possible to filter out the noise)

So don't be surprised.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:14PM nimzy said

LOTRO's minstrel makes a lot of sense in a game where your HP is actually your character's morale. By rocking out really hard, he's getting you back into the fight.

Toss in the custom music system that lets you create your own songs and you leave other games' bards in the dust.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:21PM nc drake pilot said

Gemstone III bard was pretty good. Singing to items to figure out magic properties and increasing jewels worth after picking/popping chests.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:23PM corpusc said

the Vanguard bard.

only class in any MMO that i can think of ATM that lets you create your own songs/spells from different components. can make a song where every stanza/bridge/chorus/etc. focuses on healing, or one that blends 3 (or more?) different "spell" effects into one song.

the bard in EQ1 was nice at the time for having the ability to play and swap songs without making you stand still, so you could be constantly running as you twist your songs. one of the things i hate about MMOs the most is how your mobility is so compromised by making you stand still to watch progress bars constantly in order to use your powers.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:23PM Joaquin Crowe said

LOTRO... especially with the /music system -- any bard that can play Stairway to Heaven in-game is lord of the realm!

(although I do have to admit my old EQ bard was fun at the time)

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 2:32PM Kawaii Five0 said

@Joaquin Crowe
That sounds a lot like Mabinogi (which I would have voted for had it been listed) only I assume LoTRO's is more useful and practical in combat.

Still, composing musical scores (often with the help of MIDIs) and playing them for groups of people was lots of fun. Mabi even has a 'Jam' skill where you can coordinate you're playing with other players, which allows you to assign various parts of a score to people with different instruments and let it all blend together.

One Shots: The sacred bosom dance