Posted: Jan 21st 2012 6:34PM Deadalon said

@Mister Eee

Its exactly what CCP did when EvE had its shop item crysis. It cost the huge loss in the long term. Turbine KNOWS this is not what the players want. But they are gonna implement it more and more - starting with level up gear and then moving up the ladder. Thats how it works. This is how WOW added things .. slowly. There is probably a long term plan on making shitloads of money without creating any content at all for LOTRO.

From my parts - I wont touch the game with a 10 foot pole. Never

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 6:32PM Deadalon said

No Convenience means that you GET items INGAME while PLAYING. Thats a game and thats what devs should be focusing on.

LOTRO is a shop. Best story ever made turned to cashcow.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 7:12PM ciroccooo said

The article mentions the thread regarding introducing Armor to the store.. that the execs are getting reports on post count etc. You are aware that Sapience and Calestra are constantly deleting posts that total pages of content. It has ranged from 1200 to 1000 after each episode. Censorship at its finest, they are also 'hiding' posts from problematic players, the poster and mods can see the post like normal but no one else cant.

that to me is all along the in your face we dont care ethical downslide the company is going in.

You do know this is not the first under-handed thing that they have reneged on... look at the number of rep horses they offered in the store to buy without earning them, look at the ROI expansion pack prebuy offer and then the subsequent after sale... the list goes on and on. In the end you have a company with no trust earned and a bad taste in your mouth.

the armor scarcity was just a cover story... there is plenty of armor to be won in deeds, quests and crafting.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 8:03PM h4ngedm4n said

"This is us coming up with solutions to certain problems some players are reporting to us. We're trying to create solutions for these players who are have monies to spend."

fixed

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 10:32PM Aarmic said

Turbine cares about money, period. If they see they're making a few more bucks off of selling armor, then they'll sell armor. They don't give a crap about what they've said in the past. In fact, Patience QUIT because of what was happening at Turbine. This "low level" armor is a test. If it goes over well, you will start seeing more armor, weapons, and everything else so the game truly becomes "pay to win".

Turbine will NEVER learn. They are shooting themselves in the foot because they are trying to make "quick cash" now and not looking at long-term income.

Sure, there will be players that will pay for the "pay-to-win" advantage, but they will stick around for a month - maybe two - until they've completed the game and move on to something else. They will have absolutely no allegiance to the game, and Turbine will lose in the long run because they will have lost all of their long-term income (ie. subscribing players).

Look for LOTRO to die by the end of the year, if not, then soon after the new year. The ONLY reason Warner Brothers bought Turbine is for their micro-transaction technology...they could give a crap less about LOTRO or DDO.

And their "new" secret project? Forget it, it died two years ago.

Posted: Jan 21st 2012 11:19PM Jorev said

You are supposed to struggle as a new player, that is what makes the journey worthwhile. The argument for convenience is a red herring.
By placing lower level gear in the cash shop, Turbine has deprived and undermined crafters of their important lower level market.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 12:26AM Sean D said

It may have already been said, but convenience IS advantage for many gamers. It is convenient to have an advantage.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 1:50AM Kairos said

Of course this is a clear breach of trust by Turbine, and I agree that it's unconscionable.

There is however one saving factor to a game situation where (almost) everything is for sale. Say you could buy a full set of end-game armour in the Lotro store: what exactly would you do with it? You sure as hell couldn't experience the Tower of Orthanc raid, since you would lack virtually all the necessary skill and experience, and a set of armour would be of precisely zero assistance.

You can buy gear, but neither skill nor experience can be merchandised...

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 6:02AM MacDexter said

Somebody will have to pay for the server rent, the wages of the employees etc. This obviously will be the players, who use the gaming service. The only thing in question is, how is the money raised?

I think the Turbine reasoning (no low level gear in auction house) is a fog grenade. There would have been other ways to overcome this, if it was a problem (it wasn't for me with quite a number of toons, so I am quite confused about this 'problem' anyways). I can also clearly see how they are breaking their word and by that they destroy their relation with their player base.

Having said that, I also do have a problem with that pay-to-win term. What exactly am I winning with level 20 gear? And to tell the truth, I still can find gear without paying real money - something that is impossible in a sub-based game. Strictly speaking, in a sub-based game all gear would be pay-to-win.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 7:55AM missingpiece said

I played LoTRO for a while and found that I was not competing with anyone else but myself and the game. "Pay to win" is a really philosophical stance for such an environment -- win against me ?! Finish the game ?!

For a theme park game without competition among players, cash shops are a non-issue in my opinion; not an issue on a game mechanical or balancing level anyway.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 11:11AM Jorev said

@missingpiece
Perhaps. Which is why I don't enjoy or play theme park games.
I like a competitive endeavor in a sandbox MMO.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 1:48PM TortoiseCan said

This whole thing has really put me off going back to the game. I agree that this is mainly a single player experience and these items aren't as big of a deal as say, a competitive pvp style game - but this is just the start. If people accept this, it won't be long before they start making the game impossible unless you're blowing wads of cash on upgrades like runes of magic.

The fact that they are offering a subscription model should curtail this

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 2:18PM Kronenbor said

I have been reading this ongoing problem since it was announced. I believe that Turbine are trying to balance what players are saying about the low level armour not being in AH. That being said surley there would be a way in game that could allow lower levels to post on a notice board( like a task board)near mailboxes in starter areas that people could post what they require. the people wo can make the equipment could post back to the player requesting it and a price for crafting. I have found this problem before about lower level items in the AH. There is certainly no need for statted armour until you have completed the introduction levels. I was never a player before F2P but after 2 months i began paying. I have been playing for 18 months now and i never buy stat tomes or buffs from the LOTRO store. I mainly use it for extra storage slots and riding skill.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 5:29PM lannadhor said

For me, this announcement was simply the final straw. I've stayed through the changes, but enough is enough.

I no longer care if the game rises, falls or dies in a fire.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 5:43PM darius359au said

Wonderful ,they've now made the effort to max armour crafting pointless ,why go too the effort of getting the mats and the the time to craft the parts when people can now just buy better gear...I didn't do it for the gold but for the skill but now all that works pointless!

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:16AM mattaui said

@darius359au How in the world does this make it pointless to level armor crafting? Do you even know what the guild crit patterns look like?

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 5:52PM toatanu said

Seriously guys don't waste your time with this junk. If you haven't already, go play Runes of Magic. It's a little grind-y whether you use the Diamond/Ruby/Phirius Token Shop or not, but at least the shop doesn't give you much "advantage" stuff besides permanent mounts, but to got those you could always just buy $10 worth of diamonds(Or $5 worth during the very common sales), that should cover it as well as coloring the mount to your preferences plus a few side colorings or convenience items. Otherwise there's nothing besides cosmetic items, housing stuff, and upgrade stones that aren't too much better than the ones you can get from regular NPC vendors. In other words, it's a game that stuck to the motto that LotRO was supposed to but didn't. Also, no premium classes!

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 5:54PM toatanu said

For me the only way to make up for this would be to make ALL the quests/deeds/whateverelse free, and dump the whole VIP/Mithril Edition thing. Blergh.

Posted: Jan 22nd 2012 7:19PM Moondog21 said

I don't buy what Sapience says about all feedback is read and compiled into the larger, overall picture. What about all the threads they delete or lock? Or all the posts that they delete when the thread is too hot to be locked? Do the executives see those, I'm going to say no. I really don't think that they provide a clear picture to the executives based on forum activity because anything that seems remotely negative is removed.

Posted: Jan 23rd 2012 1:14AM mattaui said

The level 25 armor -is not- better than the Barrow set, because it does not include the Barrow set bonus, which puts it over the top.

I don't understand how or why this bothers anyone that an MMO entering its 5th year is looking for ways to help push people through lower level content, or encourage others to level alts.